Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window damaged trim because of cold weather, Tesla won't replace under warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I blasted the heat for 40 minutes and it was still stuck. The instant I got on the phone with roadside assistance it tried to make me look stupid and suddenly worked. It's going to get colder than this...

Usually more of a problem near freezing since that's where you have water one moment and ice the next. When it's colder it's less of an issue since no water to freeze as it's already frozen.

Not 100% sure about this but I think you might need/want to set your vent and fan speed before you power off car (by going into park) if you want to pre-heat the car when it’s really cold and there’s a good chance of moisture and freezing while it’s sitting outside. You can set temp and turn on fan using your app remotely but no way to adjust those two aspects. So I’m thinking while in the car you might have things set towards you but should change settings/position before getting out for times like this. After you get in the car set for your comfort.

I think the problem people have even using cabin overheat protection during the summer is that the fan speed is too slow and can’t circulate the cooler air quickly enough so it stays on longer to do the job. The vents are really powerful and can heat or cool the car quickly but not so much if on Speed 1 or 2 for example.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Char
This is my first winter with my Tesla, its less than a year old. Yesterday it was very cold out and the window did not go down when the door opened..or shut? Either way, the trim got damaged. I looked it up and its a very common issue I have seen and Tesla has replaced it. I scheduled an appointment this morning via the mobile app and I got a response back saying it will not be covered and I will have to pay? This is absolutely a design flaw and the car not working as it should. Anyone have any experience with this?
That's unfortunate. Did they explain why they wouldn't replace it? Quite a few others have reported that the SC has replaced it for free. Perhaps take it to another SC?

I don't think you can consider frameless windows a design flaw.

It's not a design flaw, but having frameless windows operating in a way that results in damaged door seals and trim when temps drop below freezing, is clearly a design f*ckup.

I've had cars (usually coupes) with frame-less windows before.
None caused drama in the winter. I guess they all had sufficiently strong window motors to overcome minor side-window freezing, and their trim and rubber pieces were sufficiently strong to not self destruct either. It can be done, though not if you design and test only in California.

Heat the car hoping to defrost the window components or attempt ingress via the trunk. ;-) Definitely don't want to try harder to get in after the first attempt fails.

If it's sufficiently cold outside, defrosting the door window motors and trim may take hours. If not longer.
Not ideal.

You want the glass to peel from the rubber/plastic seals and trim peaces.
Lubricating those will go a long way.
I normally use Gummi Pflege on all door seals to eliminate squeaking all year around, and so far, it has worked well in the winter:
https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

That being said, if your glass is covered with a solid layer of snow or ice, all bets are off.

a

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and VQTRVA
It's not a design flaw, but having frameless windows operating in a way that results in damaged door seals and trim when temps drop below freezing, is clearly a design f*ckup.

I've had cars (usually coupes) with frame-less windows before.
None caused drama in the winter. I guess they all had sufficiently strong window motors to overcome minor side-window freezing, and their trim and rubber pieces were sufficiently strong to not self destruct either. It can be done, though not if you design and test only in California.

I've had frameless Tesla windows for a couple years now, and have had no trouble with them...and I've yet to add any compounds that would help. I do not believe Minnesota sees weaker ice than the rest of the country.

I'm also not putting forth the idea that my anecdotal evidence is superior to the OPs, or others on the forum, but I am stating that common sense action can avoid these issues...and that just because hardware on the car can be defeated under certain conditions does not mean there is a design flaw, nor f*ckup. Certainly my opinion would change if there was no remediation for these issues, but that does not appear to be the case.

Tesla also released an update last winter to help with this issue - at low tempratures the window would lower slightly after closing compared to the normall fully sealed to attempt to allow the door to close without hitting the trim. I haven't seen this trigger yet this winter though.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
I had a very annoying back and forth yesterday with Tesla due to my chrome also being damaged. Somehow the door was able to open but when closed the window was 1/4" above the frame. It appears that the "fix" Tesla implemented last year to slightly lower the window in cold temperature did not activate. Anyway, this is their response:

"Good afternoon, Our website has helpful tips for cold weather - you will want to reference this using the following link: Winter Driving Tips . As this is expected behavior in cold weather, it is not a defect and we would need to quote you on the replacement of the chrome if you wish to have this changed out?"

• Informative
Reactions: afadeev
I had a very annoying back and forth yesterday with Tesla due to my chrome also being damaged. Somehow the door was able to open but when closed the window was 1/4" above the frame. It appears that the "fix" Tesla implemented last year to slightly lower the window in cold temperature did not activate. Anyway, this is their response:

"Good afternoon, Our website has helpful tips for cold weather - you will want to reference this using the following link: Winter Driving Tips . As this is expected behavior in cold weather, it is not a defect and we would need to quote you on the replacement of the chrome if you wish to have this changed out?"

Thats exactly the response I got after I scheduled a Mobile appt. I was amazed. Looks like we are both from Massachusetts so we probably dealt with the same person via text. I tried to call someone at Tesla and I cant figure out how to talk to anyone. Maybe stopping in to one of the centers will help?

every frameless window car i've ever owned didn't have to roll down the windows to open the door. it was a design "feature" Tesla decided on to reduce wind drag. most frameless windows "leak" after a while. my assumption is Tesla chose this design to prevent that.

MY BMW had frameless windows which rolled down when the door was opened. I've seen numerous other cars with that.

every frameless window car i've ever owned didn't have to roll down the windows to open the door. it was a design "feature" Tesla decided on to reduce wind drag. most frameless windows "leak" after a while. my assumption is Tesla chose this design to prevent that.

My last BMW & Merc - cracked their windows a bit upon opening & have always lubed the rubber seals surrounding the window frames then too.

It's weird to see people defend this like it's nothing to complain about. Like being forced to warm up my car for 45 minutes is perfectly acceptable. I mean there's no chance I'll have to leave my house without 45 minute's notice, right?
It's even odder to see people act like this only happens on Tesla Model 3's.

See comments section here of how many different cars need a little rubber lube during winter:

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG?tag=tmc064-20

Last edited:
MY BMW had frameless windows which rolled down when the door was opened. I've seen numerous other cars with that.

Yep and Teslas do too. However when your weather condition has frozen your windows it prevents them from going down. Drivers should be aware of their car situation and window position and whether the window will go down on it's own or not. If the window is frozen in place, yes, closing the door in that position will cause the window to impact the car. So why do people close it in that situation? It's like seeing someone's hand in the door area and closing the door on them. Still don't see how that's Tesla's responsibility. There's things you need to take into account when you have freezing temps. I get that people regret having damaged their trim because they didn't look.

Drivers should be aware of their car situation and window position

If you spend your whole life opening the door with no problem, why would you suddenly be aware that your car door might not open properly? It's not something you think about until it happens. But more importantly, what if I have an emergency and I don't have an hour to warm up my car? In the grand scheme of things, is it easier to make a car drive itself on the highway or a door that opens when it's moderately chilly?

If you spend your whole life opening the door with no problem, why would you suddenly be aware that your car door might not open properly? It's not something you think about until it happens. But more importantly, what if I have an emergency and I don't have an hour to warm up my car? In the grand scheme of things, is it easier to make a car drive itself on the highway or a door that opens when it's moderately chilly?

Because it's frozen and the circumstances are different. Have you never seen your window go up and down when your door is opened or closed? The window is eye level so clearly obvious.

Yes, when a car is in freezing weather things can prevent it from working properly. I lived in the midwest for a number of years. Door handles can't be opened because water got inside and they're frozen. Car batteries won't turn over sometimes. My friend's diesel Benz couldn't be driven when the fuel gel'd in his car because it had been outside when the temps took a sudden down turn colder than he thought. You don't see people calling their car's manufacturer and saying pay for my door handle that I scratched trying to chip the ice from it...oh and the mechanism because I forced it open and damaged it...or pay for my battery jump or pay for my tow because my diesel car can't be driven.

On a few occasions I had my ICE car that was parked in my condo's open air parking lot during freezing weather not start and I had to go to work and had to wait around hours for a jump because I wasn't alone with a car that wouldn't start.

Last edited:

Or maybe you are inexperienced in this kind of car operation & don't want to admit you don't know that car frameless windows do go down when they open.

So it's not a bad design as bad luck if you something fails.

Oh btw - your problem - motor is it? -is bad luck.

The window is eye level so clearly obvious.
I happen to be taller than 4'9''. The thing is, there was no ice or rain. It was dry and 27 degrees. Why would I expect the door to not open just because it's chilly?

I love the car, but I'm allowed to find this particular feature to be sub-optimal. Why does everybody have to react like I've criticized their religion? It would be one thing if the door straight up didn't open, but why does it let you open/close it and damage it? How is that not a design flaw? Surely a car that can drive itself can detect that the window didn't go down. There's no way this is a completely unsolvable problem.