Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinter Sliced my window trim piece

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My window tinted sliced a trim piece, it was visible metal. Tried touch up pain, I said no way. They are going to have a body shop strip this piece and repaint it. Does that make sense? Picture attached

Should I let them try the repaint or force them to give me a brand new piece from Tesla?
IMG-0737.jpg

That piece on my MY came damaged from the factory. It took the mobile tech no time to pop the old one off and install a new one.

I suggest pulling that one off and seeing if you can straighten it with your hands. It's quite thin and easy to bend. I suspect you can have it off, fixed, and reinstalled in less than five minutes.

My window tinted sliced a trim piece, it was visible metal. Tried touch up pain, I said no way. They are going to have a body shop strip this piece and repaint it. Does that make sense? Picture attached

Should I let them try the repaint or force them to give me a brand new piece from Tesla?View attachment 589664

I know exactly what happened there. That's a scratch from the glass. The tinter has to raise the glass to "close" as if the door was shut in order to tint the window fully. He just forgot to release the door handle afterwards and swung the door shut. Bang! Glass, meet window trim. The top "bright work" trim is around $35 and can be ordered from Tesla. You DO NOT want to repaint it because it's actually not painted but anodized steel. It will be next to impossible to match the texture and sheen.

Reactions: raggedy