Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not yet. The windows appear to be slightly more tinted from the factory than other cars I've had, so considering it I'll do this one.

They seem to block heat fairly well, as does the windscreen.

Last edited:
Just returned home from the Southern Highlands. It was quite warm on the way back, about 28 to 30, and I had no problem with heat from the Pano roof when closed, or glare through the other glass so I think I will not tint for now. Will probably do Opticote when I find a suitable applier in Sydney.

Yes I picked it up the order day. White 85 Pano Roof. Got some roof racks bought over from the US so I can put my longboards and SUPs on the roof if required. Racks are easy to fit and unfit so I can keep the beautiful atheasetics of the car 90% of the time. Such a wonderful car to drive.

Yes I picked it up the order day. White 85 Pano Roof. Got some roof racks bought over from the US so I can put my longboards and SUPs on the roof if required. Racks are easy to fit and unfit so I can keep the beautiful atheasetics of the car 90% of the time. Such a wonderful car to drive.

A Model S with boards on the roof will be a great look. Welcome to the forum!

- - - Updated - - -

Adelaide is forecast to reach 42 degrees today. Anyone with a pano roof care to comment on what the experience is like on a hot sunny day? Any car will be hot in this weather and most air conditioners will struggle to cool the cabin but I'm interested to learn if excessive glare and sunburn through the glass roof are issues. I've ordered a pano roof but I'm wondering if it might be worth adding a very heavy tint to it.

A Model S with boards on the roof will be a great look. Welcome to the forum!

- - - Updated - - -.

Adelaide is forecast to reach 42 degrees today. Anyone with a pano roof care to comment on what the experience is like on a hot sunny day? Any car will be hot in this weather and most air conditioners will struggle to cool the cabin but I'm interested to learn if excessive glare and sunburn through the glass roof are issues. I've ordered a pano roof but I'm wondering if it might be worth adding a very heavy tint to it.

Haven't had 42 degrees in Sydney yet but I was surprised at how well the Pano glass stops heat transmission on a 30 degree day yesterday. Showing the car today to a few friends so it may get heat soaked today for the first time, will report back.

@kelsurf welcome mate to the forum, when I picked up my car on Monday I noted that they had a Model S in the showroom fitted with roof racks. IIRC they were the Whisbar brand.

My wife is just returning from Inverloch in Victoria where she and some friends had lunch. After lunch she precooled the car. Outside was 36 degrees, the aircon was set to 21 and the interior got down to 24.

Travelling back (just now) the outside is still 36, interior 24 (according to the app) and settings 21 in full sun. Not sure why the reading is at 24 but the fan is at half speed and apparently there is little noise. It may be that the reading is from a different sensor from that used by the aircon.

The four females (none of them are backward in expressing their views) tell me that the car is very comfortable. I pressed them pointing out the vast expanse of glass and the impact of the sun and still got a ‘beautiful’ in response.

Obviously it may be different further north but the Tesla seems to be handling these conditions with ease.

One thing to note – the car is not in range mode.

While the car can handle the temperatures, I would still recommend tinting. I found that it makes a noticeable difference on how hot the interior gets sitting in the sun and how quickly the car cools down with the AC. I did not tint the pano roof on recommendation of my tinter (he says Tesla doesn't recommend it), but did all other windows including the windshield (that with a transparent "tint").

Update: the temperature reached 42 degrees - at no time were they uncomfortable with the conditions. In fact my wife turned down the aircon (or turned up the temp) as they were a little to cool.

However, the sun was beating through the front window and the front seat passengers were feeling the direct sun at times. Of course you can't get the front window tinted.

The sunroof seemed not to let any heat through although it became hot to the touch.

Just noticed the previous post - apparently it may be possible to tint the front window with a transparent 'tint'.

Noted this post on another thread:
garyrudolph | MARCH 19, 2013
Thanks, I see:
"UV and infrared blocking safety glass windshield"
"Solar absorbing, laminated safety glass rear window with defroster"
So, front is UV and IR and rear is IR.
Sides seem standard tempered glass only?
"Frameless, tempered safety glass front windows"

However, when I called Tesla early last week and inquired about the need of window tinting I asked about the side windows' specs and the person I spoke to checked and came back telling me there is already a level of UV protection...

A bit confused here but if your wife and friends came back with such good comments...that's encouraging!
Anyone found some more specs direct from Tesla?

Noted this post on another thread:
However, when I called Tesla early last week and inquired about the need of window tinting I asked about the side windows' specs and the person I spoke to checked and came back telling me there is already a level of UV protection...
The side windows are definitely tinted from the factory - you can see the tint easily. While not as dark as I'd usually do, its not completely transparent.
I usually tint to add security - makes it a bit harder to see anything inside the car and so deters smash & grabs.
I've ordered the Pano roof and rear screen sunshades to help reduce heat load - driving in full sun I've felt some heat, albeit not a great deal, through the roof. I'm still considering tinting the sides but will wait for a bit. The heat treatment seems to work pretty well, and I was very surprised with the effectiveness of the heat treatment in the windscreen. Its a big screen and the dash gets warm to hot - but not like in my other cars where the dash is really hot to touch after a few minutes in the sun.

I was out today where the weather was sunny and around 40 deg. Had the air con set to 19 degrees. I have the pano roof and the air con coped fine. I don't think there is much need for extra tinting to the windows at all.

I think the ability to pre cool the car before you head off on the trip will mean you don't have to worry too much about keeping the car cool before you head off.

I parked the car in the sun today for about 40 minutes but set the roof to 'vent' and it was quite ok when we came back to it and the AC brought it back to plesant very quickly. In particular the dash top doesn't seem to get as hot as any other car I have owned.

I was out today where the weather was sunny and around 40 deg. Had the air con set to 19 degrees. I have the pano roof and the air con coped fine. I don't think there is much need for extra tinting to the windows at all.

I think the ability to pre cool the car before you head off on the trip will mean you don't have to worry too much about keeping the car cool before you head off.

Welcome Fama. When did you collect your car ? Is it a signature too ?