Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window trimming came off, Tesla wants me to pay !!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We found trimming of right rear window came off one day. Now Tesla said that we have to pay $85. It is obviously their poor quality product! We bought our car in November 2018 and this happened in May 2019. Has anyone had this ? We had two previous issues with a faulty sensor and a cracked glass roof.
A Tesla technician who came to install a defected sensor told us that this happened to him when he opened the door and his jacket got caught, peeling off window trimming. Obviously this is a product quality issue and I don't know why we are responsible for this?
IMG_8521.jpg
IMG_8522.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
We found trimming of right rear window came off one day.

Sorry this happened to you.

This quote above makes it sound like this happened on its own accord. If it just happened due to a stiff breeze, that would be on Tesla. But, it looks to me like it got caught on something. If Tesla accepted responsibility for that, they would need to repair door dings too, right?

Fortunately it is an inexpensive repair.

Thank you for your input. Yes, it's not too expensive and the time spent might not be justified.
I never had this happened to my other cars for the past 40 years, starting with Suzuki Sidekick.Honda Accord, Nissan Pathfinder, Volvo V70, Lexus RH350 and RAV4.
I still think it's poor quality.

The OP in this thread seems to be "deflecting" to me. The original statement seems to me like it should say "I accidentally pulled the trim away from my car, and this has never happened to me before. This is because of teslas poor quality!!"

OP has not answered the question, so I will ask it directly since people are dancing around the issue:

OP EXACTLY HOW did that trim get pulled away from your window? Not "how the tesla technician stated it happened to him" . How did it happen on your car? If YOU dont know, someone who drives your car knows... they just are not telling you. It almost certainly did not happen "by itself" as in your first picture it appears you can see the mark where it starts to bend. It pretty clearly looks like "something" pulled it away from the car.

Tesla is not going to argue with you about "who" did what, they just are looking at that, and knowing it "did not happen by itself".

At my job, the team that repairs laptops for us that reports to me sometimes has end users bring laptops in with cracked screens, saying "I dont know how that happened" when there is CLEARLY an impact mark in the middle of the screen.

When we tell them that their cost center has to pay for it, and its not covered under warranty, they tell them "We are not sure what happened, but we can see the impact mark right here"

We have had people straight up lie to our faces as well. Team "did you spill anything on the laptop?", them "no", tech comes to see me later showing me residue of soup or something inside. We tell them we found liquid damage inside, they come back with "I have no idea how tht happened, you mean someone could have come by and spilled something on my laptop without me knowing??"

(actual real exchange I had with someone).

So, OP, we are not there, but from that picture it appears that "something" pulled that away from the car, so thats on you. Thats not a warranty issue. You can say its poorly made, etc, never happened on your other cars, sure. That still does not make it tesla's fault if it got pulled away somehow.

It does not appear that it just "feel off" to me, so if you dont know, someone who has access to drive your car knows.

The OP in this thread seems to be "deflecting" to me. The original statement seems to me like it should say "I accidentally pulled the trim away from my car, and this has never happened to me before. This is because of teslas poor quality!!"

OP has not answered the question, so I will ask it directly since people are dancing around the issue:

OP EXACTLY HOW did that trim get pulled away from your window? Not "how the tesla technician stated it happened to him" . How did it happen on your car? If YOU dont know, someone who drives your car knows... they just are not telling you. It almost certainly did not happen "by itself" as in your first picture it appears you can see the mark where it starts to bend. It pretty clearly looks like "something" pulled it away from the car.

Tesla is not going to argue with you about "who" did what, they just are looking at that, and knowing it "did not happen by itself".

At my job, the team that repairs laptops for us that reports to me sometimes has end users bring laptops in with cracked screens, saying "I dont know how that happened" when there is CLEARLY an impact mark in the middle of the screen.

When we tell them that their cost center has to pay for it, and its not covered under warranty, they tell them "We are not sure what happened, but we can see the impact mark right here"

We have had people straight up lie to our faces as well. Team "did you spill anything on the laptop?", them "no", tech comes to see me later showing me residue of soup or something inside. We tell them we found liquid damage inside, they come back with "I have no idea how tht happened, you mean someone could have come by and spilled something on my laptop without me knowing??"

So, OP, we are not there, but from that picture it appears that "something" pulled that away from the car, so thats on you. Thats not a warranty issue. You can say its poorly made, etc, never happened on your other cars, sure. That still does not make it tesla's fault if it got pulled away somehow.

It does not appear that it just "feel off" to me, so if you dont know, someone who has access to drive your car knows.
It’s because this day in age no one wants to take personal responsibility for anything.

If they can deflect the blame to someone else or the manufacturer, maybe they won’t have to pay for it.

Thank you for your input. Yes, it's not too expensive and the time spent might not be justified.
I never had this happened to my other cars for the past 40 years, starting with Suzuki Sidekick.Honda Accord, Nissan Pathfinder, Volvo V70, Lexus RH350 and RAV4.
I still think it's poor quality.

Can you take it to WA dealer? I used to live in Canada and almost always found customer service sorely lacking compared to US. Here I feel they'd just comp it out of goodwill.

EDIT: now I see OP is not answering why this occurred. Forgive me if it was of no fault of your own, but if not, please don't bother Service with this. Just pay for it and be more careful in the future.

Regardless who, when, how, it reflects poor workmanship on Tesla’s part. If some human’s shirt or jacket got caught and was able to pulled it out, it’s POOR WORKMANSHIP!

Regardless who, when, how, it reflects poor workmanship on Tesla’s part. If some human’s shirt or jacket got caught and was able to pulled it out, it’s POOR WORKMANSHIP!

This forum is rife with examples of poor workmanship. I would submit that this isn't one of them unless you are arguing that some feature of the design intended to keep this from happening, like welding it to the car or something, was omitted by the assemblers. If one thinks this is a design issue I would ask what level of shear force a paper thin, metal aesthetic trim piece is supposed to tolerate but I'm guessing it's less than the pulling force an able bodied human can exert. It wouldn't have happened in my old Ford Explorer because that piece was made out of same grade of black plastic as a spork.

True story: I had an old Pontiac POS with manually movable seats (the kind with the lever under the front that you pull to move the seat back and forth). My wife's purse strap got caught on it once as she stood up. It bent the lever up so that it looked like a fighter jet control stick for the passenger. Punchline: this sweet new feature of my Pontiac was not a result of poor workmanship.

That’s like saying if I’m getting in my car and the zipper part of my jacket catches the door and drags a scratch in the paint - that the paint is poor quality.

Stuff happens. Just pay for it, and be done with it. I maintain Tesla is not responsible for this, as much as that sucks to hear.

Then the title of the thread should be closer to what I said than what you put, since by this statement it is fairly clear you KNOW what happend (that you or someone you know did this) but somehow think that its tesla's fault because you believe its not made well.

Thats still damage you caused, regardless of how poor the workmanship is, its still damage you caused (and thus not a warranty issue at all).