Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows fog up too easily

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Compared to other cars I've owned, this car fogs up like crazy!! And this is my first really nice car. Previous, nearly fog free vehicles were, 2010 Ford F150, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2000 Grand Prix GTP (x2), and many others.

Are you guys experiencing this?

Did your F150 have climate control? Cars with full climate control can sometimes be tricky because they're doing things in the background you may not expect.

Secondly, running with the AC on (whether blowing hot or cold) reduces fogging, and given the AC uses a fair bit of power, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it uses the AC sparingly and is prone to fogging.

"Nicer" cars are usually better sealed (more airtight), so it allows you (and other passengers) the ability to quickly fog up the windows.

I dunno. All of my "nicer" and well sealed cars have not had fogging issues. To my casual observation, it seems like mostly Civics and Corollas have fogging problems, at least in the winter.

I have found keeping the car off "recirculate" (i.e. on outside air) and keeping the fan speed relatively high aids in reducing the fog problems, even if not explicitly set to "Defrost" mode.

I dunno. All of my "nicer" and well sealed cars have not had fogging issues. To my casual observation, it seems like mostly Civics and Corollas have fogging problems, at least in the winter.

I have found keeping the car off "recirculate" (i.e. on outside air) and keeping the fan speed relatively high aids in reducing the fog problems, even if not explicitly set to "Defrost" mode.

I was merely pointing out the fact that fogging windows is caused by the excess moisture in the car (produced by passengers breathing) condensing onto the inside of the cold window (cold exterior temps). If cold, dry air is allowed into the vehicle, either by the HVAC system, or by "leaky" seals, then there will be less fogging. Your previous "nicer" cars just probably managed it better via the HVAC systems than your Civics an Corollas with manual controls. But if you turn off the HVAC, you'd definitely find more fogging in a better-sealed car. It's just physics. Which is a likely explanation of rdrcrmatt's experience in the OP.

I found that the offgassing of materials "clung" to the windows and allowed moisture to condense more easily. A good semi-weekly cleaning should keep them nice and clear for you - at least it did for me.

I've had mine since December of last year, and with the exception of trips with two adults, two kids and two labradors I've never had a fogging issue. I will say the pre-update defroster was a little weak. I guess the first frost will be here soon and I'll know if the new one is any better.

No didn't know that was a thing.

And the F150 didn't have climate control.. all manual. The Grand Prixs did though.

i requested the new vented defrost panel for the windshield, it made all the difference, a little more glare in the windshield on sunny days, however. The SC put it in for free.

- - - Updated - - -

> trips with two adults, two kids and two labradors [MS]

Ah, to cruise by Home Depot early in the morning in the MS looking for laborers, now that's Class! :rolleyes:
--

you make me laugh!