TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Windows fog up too easily

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by rdrcrmatt, Sep 26, 2013.

1. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

Compared to other cars I've owned, this car fogs up like crazy!! And this is my first really nice car. Previous, nearly fog free vehicles were, 2010 Ford F150, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2000 Grand Prix GTP (x2), and many others.

Are you guys experiencing this?

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Did your F150 have climate control? Cars with full climate control can sometimes be tricky because they're doing things in the background you may not expect.

Secondly, running with the AC on (whether blowing hot or cold) reduces fogging, and given the AC uses a fair bit of power, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it uses the AC sparingly and is prone to fogging.

3. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

"Nicer" cars are usually better sealed (more airtight), so it allows you (and other passengers) the ability to quickly fog up the windows.

4. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

Frequent cleaning of the inside of the windshield seems to help. Off gassing of some of the interior materials is probably the culprit.

5. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Yes. Did you get the updated defroster vents?

6. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

No didn't know that was a thing.

And the F150 didn't have climate control.. all manual. The Grand Prixs did though.

7. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Ask your service center to update your front defroster vents. The old vent style was like a mesh with lots of little holes, the new vent style punches directional fins into the rear top of the dash under the windshield.

8. Zextraterrestrial

Several cleanings of the windshield makes a big difference + I think the newer front vent would be better for colder climates / snowy areas.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I dunno. All of my "nicer" and well sealed cars have not had fogging issues. To my casual observation, it seems like mostly Civics and Corollas have fogging problems, at least in the winter.

I have found keeping the car off "recirculate" (i.e. on outside air) and keeping the fan speed relatively high aids in reducing the fog problems, even if not explicitly set to "Defrost" mode.

10. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

I was merely pointing out the fact that fogging windows is caused by the excess moisture in the car (produced by passengers breathing) condensing onto the inside of the cold window (cold exterior temps). If cold, dry air is allowed into the vehicle, either by the HVAC system, or by "leaky" seals, then there will be less fogging. Your previous "nicer" cars just probably managed it better via the HVAC systems than your Civics an Corollas with manual controls. But if you turn off the HVAC, you'd definitely find more fogging in a better-sealed car. It's just physics. Which is a likely explanation of rdrcrmatt's experience in the OP.

11. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Get a motel room, you two.....

12. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I found that the offgassing of materials "clung" to the windows and allowed moisture to condense more easily. A good semi-weekly cleaning should keep them nice and clear for you - at least it did for me.

13. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

This is true for all new cars and to a lesser degree, to all cars. Good advice.

14. bob_p

bob_p Member

I've had my car since January. This was a problem the first few weeks (outgassing) - when I was cleaning the inside glass frequently. After that, hasn't been a problem.

15. Mike_Schlechter

Mike_Schlechter Model S - P457

I've had mine since December of last year, and with the exception of trips with two adults, two kids and two labradors I've never had a fogging issue. I will say the pre-update defroster was a little weak. I guess the first frost will be here soon and I'll know if the new one is any better.

16. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> trips with two adults, two kids and two labradors [MS]

Ah, to cruise by Home Depot early in the morning in the MS looking for laborers, now that's Class! :rolleyes:
    --

17. TsRocket

TsRocket Member

i requested the new vented defrost panel for the windshield, it made all the difference, a little more glare in the windshield on sunny days, however. The SC put it in for free.

- - - Updated - - -

you make me laugh!

18. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

Had the MS for several months now and no fogging issues at least not any more noticeable than our other cars.