Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows freeze

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 model S windows were frozen in the totally up position. It was 15 degrees F here in Pennsylvania. I went to my car and the door handles did not fully come out due to a little bit of ice that was partially around them. The back driver side handle came out fully so I opened the door. When I tried to close the door it would not shut due to the window being frozen totally up. I tried to use the window button on the door to lower the window so I could shut it, but the button did not move the window at all even after 5 attempts. I did not want to break the window or damage the door trim. What can I do to prevent this from happening again or what can I do when this does happens? Thank you for your help!
Chuck

My 2018 model S windows were frozen in the totally up position. It was 15 degrees F here in Pennsylvania. I went to my car and the door handles did not fully come out due to a little bit of ice that was partially around them. The back driver side handle came out fully so I opened the door. When I tried to close the door it would not shut due to the window being frozen totally up. I tried to use the window button on the door to lower the window so I could shut it, but the button did not move the window at all even after 5 attempts. I did not want to break the window or damage the door trim. What can I do to prevent this from happening again or what can I do when this does happens? Thank you for your help!
Chuck
Oh yes the joys of the frameless window design, I have had this issue with a lot of my cars here in Alberta , this is not just a Tesla issue. What I do is in the winter I carry a small towel in the back of the car and when I notice water on the seals or glass (usually on a cold sunny day, then it freezes at night)I just give them a quick wipe down before I close the door.

Thank you very much for your response and your remedy using the towel wipe down. So you wipe the window seals down before the temperature drops below freezing. It did not seem like the door seals and jam were wet or iced but I will have to investigate tomorrow. Thank you very much!

Chuck

This used to happen to me all the time in my BMW convertible. I didn't have a garage to keep it in. I used to hate it! It happened to me yesterday morning for the first time since owning the model S. My door didn't even open. The window would not slide down.

I remembered that on Sarurday it snowed here in New Jersey then it turned to rain and the temperature dropped, so the water froze the door shut. I also didn't use the car at all on Sunday and it was really cold here as well, so that didn't help. Lastly I didn't preheat the car and give it time to warm up before I went out.

Here is what I did this morning, I preheated the car about an hour and a half before I went out.

Before I went left, I put the heat on the highest setting and had the heat coming out from the face vents. I closed the two middle vents, leaving the two closest to the two front doors open. I made sure the two vents were positioned so the hot air was blasting the windows. Left it like that for about 15 minutes or so and the passengers door opened no problem.

It sucks to have to do that but I'm used to it since the BMW had frameless windows as well.

• Informative
Reactions: f205v
I've noticed that my model S loves to retain water in the lower window seal after a carwash/rain/snow storm/whatever...

I also have some rags in my trunk; if I see if wet and I know it is getting cold, I roll the windows down/up and wipe them a few times until they mostly come up dry. I usually focus on the driver's window.

This used to happen to me all the time in my BMW convertible. I didn't have a garage to keep it in. I used to hate it! It happened to me yesterday morning for the first time since owning the model S. My door didn't even open. The window would not slide down.

I remembered that on Sarurday it snowed here in New Jersey then it turned to rain and the temperature dropped, so the water froze the door shut. I also didn't use the car at all on Sunday and it was really cold here as well, so that didn't help. Lastly I didn't preheat the car and give it time to warm up before I went out.

Here is what I did this morning, I preheated the car about an hour and a half before I went out.

Before I went left, I put the heat on the highest setting and had the heat coming out from the face vents. I closed the two middle vents, leaving the two closest to the two front doors open. I made sure the two vents were positioned so the hot air was blasting the windows. Left it like that for about 15 minutes or so and the passengers door opened no problem.

It sucks to have to do that but I'm used to it since the BMW had frameless windows as well.
Thank you very much for your response and your good information that will help me in this situation. I appreciate your information and post.

I've noticed that my model S loves to retain water in the lower window seal after a carwash/rain/snow storm/whatever...

I also have some rags in my trunk; if I see if wet and I know it is getting cold, I roll the windows down/up and wipe them a few times until they mostly come up dry. I usually focus on the driver's window.
Thank you very much for your post and your information on how you handle this situation. I am going to put a rag in my trunk also. Thank you very much for your knowledge and advice!

Chuck
Move to Florida!

BMW actually made a lubricant (gummi pflege) to resolve this issue.