Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows Open When MY Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some guidance. Apologies if someone else has written on this.

Twice in the past week I’ve come out to our MY and the windows have been down 1 inch.

First time it happened was parked at the airport for a week. The weather was between -10 and +10 when we were away. Fortunately the parking was covered.

Second time was just now. It’s +5 in Southern Ontario today and raining. My husband left the car in the driveway as I was going out a few hours later.

Background: we usually keep our MY in a heated garage at 13 all winter. We’ve owned the car for 10 months and have never had this issue until the past week. We received no alerts on the app.

Is this happening to anyone else? Could it be something to do with the latest software update?

Thanks for your help.

Twice in the past week I’ve come out to our MY and the windows have been down 1 inch.

First time it happened was parked at the airport for a week. The weather was between -10 and +10 when we were away. Fortunately the parking was covered.

Second time was just now. It’s +5 in Southern Ontario today and raining. My husband left the car in the driveway as I was going out a few hours later.

Background: we usually keep our MY in a heated garage at 13 all winter. We’ve owned the car for 10 months and have never had this issue until the past week. We received no alerts on the app.

Is this happening to anyone else? Could it be something to do with the latest software update?

Thanks for your help.
I noticed that once while in my garage. I assumed that I hit the vent window button by accident on the app. I have since moved it off of the controls bar in the app by pressing and holding it and dragging it off. It hasn't happened since moving the button so I hope that was it. I would hate to come out in the rain and have the windows cracked.

I had that happen to me with the rear passenger window after installing 2022.8.2. The issue occurred several times after I got in the car to drive it.

I rebooted the system (I had previously rebooted after the initial install of 2022.8.2) and the issue hasn’t returned since.

Cool maybe I'll try a reboot myself. It would really suck if the interior got soaked. I did set the option to close all windows and such on lock so hopefully that would prevent it ever happening as well.

Yeah, I had that setting too. Ditto for an alert to come up on the app if the doors or windows open. Still it happened.

I’ve done a hard reset and removed the vent on the app. Fingers crossed it works.

Thanks for your help.
Let me know if you've solved this please? It has happened to me again and again, my car was SOAKED one morning and I know the windows are closed. I check obsessively since it keeps happening and I was worried it would happen in the rain - sure enough, went to bed, windows were closed, woke up in am, windows open, car soaked inside. I'm so annoyed!!! HELP!!!

Curious.. are you folks with this problem using an iPhone with the widget on your homescreen? This issue went away for me when I deleted the widget.

I believe that something is sending the command to the car to vent the windows. It’s not an issue with the car doing it’s own thing while it’s asleep - this problem is no doubt happening because over the internet the car is getting a command to vent the windows from outside (not internally) software. (Not a bug with the MCU)

If the windows were at various levels (not the standard “vent”) then I could chalk it up to the MCU/car’s computer randomly sending power to the window down switch. But this issue is always leaving the windows at the precise vented amount (consistent with the vent command) and always all 4 windows and not just one or two windows for example.

Another possibility is that a mischievous party has gained access to your Tesla and is using 3rd party apps to troll people in wet climates 🤔🤪.

Last edited:
Reactions: OliverM3
Let me know if you've solved this please? It has happened to me again and again, my car was SOAKED one morning and I know the windows are closed. I check obsessively since it keeps happening and I was worried it would happen in the rain - sure enough, went to bed, windows were closed, woke up in am, windows open, car soaked inside. I'm so annoyed!!! HELP!!!
That's terrible. Did you put in a service request and have them pull the logs? Maybe they can see why they went down if you can give them a timeframe?
So far it hasn't happened to me since I removed the vent button from the main screen on my app. Not sure if that's just a coincidence or if it will happen to me as well again at some point. I have a 2022 M3LR running software 2022.8.3 at the moment. It happened two versions ago.

BTW running Samsung S10 when I removed the vent from the app it also remove it from my widget on my notification area.
Also enabled; Controls > Locks > Car Left Open Notification, then choose Doors & Windows

Last edited:
Ive had this happen 3 times in the last week. twice while parked and one while driving. all times involved only drivers window about 4 inches down. and one time while parked was drivers and right rear window, again 3-4 inches. Do not have widget. I used the app to close them while standing next to it and they immediately opened again several times until I got in the vehicle so it would turn on and used the manual controls to close and not the app. one time it happened while driving. Had just left somewhere and drivers window vented. rolled up and it vented several times until it finally stayed up. was at a stop sign while this happening so it was not from bumps. I have mobile service scheduled in a couple days

Ive had this happen 3 times in the last week. twice while parked and one while driving. all times involved only drivers window about 4 inches down. and one time while parked was drivers and right rear window, again 3-4 inches. Do not have widget. I used the app to close them while standing next to it and they immediately opened again several times until I got in the vehicle so it would turn on and used the manual controls to close and not the app. one time it happened while driving. Had just left somewhere and drivers window vented. rolled up and it vented several times until it finally stayed up. was at a stop sign while this happening so it was not from bumps. I have mobile service scheduled in a couple days
So it is now 2022 Dec 31, and this happened to me last night about an hour after parking. It poured all night and my car was absolutely soaked - ever switch, speaker, etc. etc. I do have an iphone, I'll post here and on my other post what the resolution is when service opens on tuesday - they said they couldn't do anything, not even provide heat lamps for drying - until then.

-TPC

I had one window (passenger rear) that would roll down an inch, but my problem was a loose gromet connection on the door was not connected to the vehicle correctly. Would open when I would wash the car or rain..

It's the connection where the wires are run to the doors from the vehicle.