Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield mounted radar detector in refreshed Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can provide some insight. I had hardwired a radar detector in my car and noticed the range was not so great. I thought it was all the coatings etc... My radar detector was about 7 years old. I saw one on sale and decided to upgrade.

What a difference! I think the sensors were losing sensitivity on my old unit and it was the reason for shorter range. My new one gets 2-3 miles in my tesla.

I had been debating getting one of those hardwired front of the hood kits. With the performance im getting now, its no longer needed.

I can provide some insight. I had hardwired a radar detector in my car and noticed the range was not so great. I thought it was all the coatings etc... My radar detector was about 7 years old. I saw one on sale and decided to upgrade.

What a difference! I think the sensors were losing sensitivity on my old unit and it was the reason for shorter range. My new one gets 2-3 miles in my tesla.

I had been debating getting one of those hardwired front of the hood kits. With the performance im getting now, its no longer needed.
Have you mounted on rearview mirror? If so, what did you use? Thx

Our Model S 75D delivered in Dec of 2016. We were told by Tesla that the issues with radar detectors had been resolved. We took it in for a dash cam install and to have our radar detector hard wired. The installer tested the detector and said there were no issues with the normal detector radar bands but that they were not able to pick up any laser frequencies in their tests. I can confirm that the detector works fine with the exception of laser. Either that or in the year we've owned it we have never come across of a laser in use. Not likely.

I am curious about this too. I have an appointment on Thursday with my SC and want them to give me a new windshield without metallic coating? Is this possible? When I spoke to the SC they didn’t seem to know about this issue. I have a 2015 AP 1.0.
2014 P85 no AP. Just had the metallic windshield replaced. The did not update it with a non metallic. Radar detector still sucks and parking pass does not work.