Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Replacement experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had the windshield replaced on my wife’s 3. I thought the service center had done a great job but noticed a few odd issues afterwards. So if you ever get the windshield replaced, make sure to thoroughly and visually view every aspect of the windshield.

Today after washing the car, I noticed the service center broke the plastic piece for the front camera. They tried to hide it by super gluing it back together and I guess in the process they left some sort of pink cardboard wedged between the glass and the front camera. You can see the superglue white hue that runs from 9 to 6 and the pink paper or plastic.

I have scheduled another service appointment but just disappointed that they would tried to hide this.

Attachments

• 926BBDD5-5EBA-4DD2-B366-62A8BFD584F7.jpeg
    926BBDD5-5EBA-4DD2-B366-62A8BFD584F7.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 408
  • 31AB239E-F7C5-40DE-B8FE-F03D28CAE9A4.jpeg
    31AB239E-F7C5-40DE-B8FE-F03D28CAE9A4.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 246
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and LionXng
I also had a weird windshield replacement experience in SF. Customer service side was good but the glass techs damaged the speaker grill in the front. I didn't notice it first but it was somehow ripped in the process of replacing the windshield. They will be replacing the grill piece. I've had great service and not so great service for the car in the SF bay area.

i am surprised they do glass replacement themselves. Why not send you to an auto glass place that does nothing but glass?

I'm debating whether to do it in a SC or mobile 3rd party. Also here in AZ they do cash back rebate deals w/ glass replacement. Can I use 3rd party, then have SC calibrate/check?

I'm debating whether to do it in a SC or mobile 3rd party. Also here in AZ they do cash back rebate deals w/ glass replacement. Can I use 3rd party, then have SC calibrate/check?

There isnt any calibration needed by tesla. I just had the SC replace mine about 3-4 weeks ago. They told me cameras would auto re calibrate from driving, so they neither do it, nor charge for it. My insurance has no deductible glass coverage, so I was trying to make sure I knew what would be covered.

Tesla doesnt work with any insurance itself, so if you do a SC you will pay yourself and get reimbursed from your insurance. That will be as easy or difficult as your insurance makes it. I personally wanted it done right away and SC had it in stock.

After hearing horror stories of how long people wait for parts, I had a cracked windshield on a late friday, made an appointment in the app friday night for a week from that day. I then called the SC on monday asking if they could fit me in. They checked, said "we have it in stock, come on down".

Took my insurance a couple weeks to re imburse me, but I was really happy with the entire process, actually.

Last edited:
Reactions: vickh
There isnt any calibration needed by tesla. I just had the SC replace mine about 3-4 weeks ago. They told me cameras would auto re calibrate from driving, so they neither do it, nor charge for it. My insurance has no deductible glass coverage, so I was trying to make sure I what would be covered.

Tesla doesnt work with any insurance itself, so if you do a SC you will pay yourself and get reimbursed from your insurance. That will be as easy or difficult as your insurance makes it. I personally wanted it done right away and SC had it in stock.

After hearing horror stories of how long people wait for parts, I had a cracked windshield on a late friday, made an appointment in the app friday night for a week from that day. I then called the SC on monday asking if they could fit me in. They checked, said "we have it in stock, come on down".

Took my insurance a couple weeks to re imburse me, but I was really happy with the entire process, actually.

thx so it's a like a "standard" replacement then? Might just go with these guys then Specials: Current Offers and How They Work

Only reason I'd do a SC then is if they give me a loaner for a few days (which was hit/miss last time I was at a SC, last year.

thx so it's a like a "standard" replacement then? Might just go with these guys then Specials: Current Offers and How They Work

Only reason I'd do a SC then is if they give me a loaner for a few days (which was hit/miss last time I was at a SC, last year.

SC does it same day (or did in my case). Since its same day, no loaner. The issue with going with a third party is going to be parts availability, most likely. I went with tesla, because I wanted one place to go if there was a problem (excessive noise, etc) and I wanted the official part.

Last edited:
I had my windshield replaced earlier this year. I have glass coverage and could have had it done at a glass shop, zero out off pocket. But I had it done at Tesla because: 1) figured they had more experience 2) if anything happened with autopilot cameras they would be responsible for taking care of it 3) might have had to pay out of pocket and then be reimbursed..BUT also wanted to see if they would warranty it as I believed it was a stress crack.

It was changed same day, no loaner only Uber credits, was covered under warranty, zero out of pocket and no insurance claim.

I had my windshield replaced earlier this year. I have glass coverage and could have had it done at a glass shop, zero out off pocket. But I had it done at Tesla because: 1) figured they had more experience 2) if anything happened with autopilot cameras they would be responsible for taking care of it 3) might have had to pay out of pocket and then be reimbursed..BUT also wanted to see if they would warranty it as I believed it was a stress crack.

It was changed same day, no loaner only Uber credits, was covered under warranty, zero out of pocket and no insurance claim.
can you explain how it was determined to be a stress crack? i feel like this would be good info to know if it ever happens to me personally.

Warranty issue would be a no brainer, but look at the issues OP had at a SC. @User3509 any updates with camera repair?

I guess the real question is how different is the 3 windshield to others since lots of cars have cameras these days.

Warranty issue would be a no brainer, but look at the issues OP had at a SC. @User3509 any updates with camera repair?

I guess the real question is how different is the 3 windshield to others since lots of cars have cameras these days.

I dont think there is an aftermarket part for the windshield yet, so any place you go is going to need to get the actual tesla windshield. It appears to me that tesla prioritizes their own SCs for parts (why wouldnt they?).

My SC told me that they have "a guy" who comes in and does it for them, daily in fact, so thats likely the way the other SCs do it, and also likely why the OP had that experience with it being covered up as that specific individual did not want to own up to it.

No matter where you go, there is the possibility of a specific individual making the wrong decision. Its just.. if that happens, who do you want to go to, to remedy the situation? Back to that third party, or to Tesla? Thats the decision everyone has to make.

can you explain how it was determined to be a stress crack? i feel like this would be good info to know if it ever happens to me personally.

I parked it on the driveway, came out a few hrs later and the crack was there.…from the top edge of the windshield extending down towards the middle. I inspect my windshield every wash and everytime it’s hit by a pebble while driving.…any rock chip I get i diy repair to prevent a large crack from forming. I believe how the dealer agreed that it was a stress crack was that there was ZERO impact damage any where along the crack.

I caught a large rock in the middle of my windshield last May. It spider cracked out about 10 inches in multiple directions. I had used Safelite to replace windshields in the past with success so I contacted them about replacing the Windshield on my 3. They told me they could only get the part directly from Tesla and it would take about 3 weeks and would cost $900 installed and need to be calibrated (I learned later that calibration is not needed). Fast forward to the end of June. No call from Safelite. I contacted them and they didn't have the windshield yet and didn't know when they would receive one. I waited until almost the end of July and gave up on Safelite.

I made an appointment with Tesla to replace it instead. They were able to get me in within the week and gave me a Model 3 long range loaner (somehow it didn't have chill mode enabled like other loaners I've had so that was cool). They finished the replacement that day. No issues, nothing damaged and it looks perfect. Total cost was about $750. (just called my insurance, told them the total and they cut me a check) Wish I had just gone with Tesla in the first place. Very pleasant experience.

I caught a large rock in the middle of my windshield last May. It spider cracked out about 10 inches in multiple directions. I had used Safelite to replace windshields in the past with success so I contacted them about replacing the Windshield on my 3. They told me they could only get the part directly from Tesla and it would take about 3 weeks and would cost $900 installed and need to be calibrated (I learned later that calibration is not needed). Fast forward to the end of June. No call from Safelite. I contacted them and they didn't have the windshield yet and didn't know when they would receive one. I waited until almost the end of July and gave up on Safelite.

I made an appointment with Tesla to replace it instead. They were able to get me in within the week and gave me a Model 3 long range loaner (somehow it didn't have chill mode enabled like other loaners I've had so that was cool). They finished the replacement that day. No issues, nothing damaged and it looks perfect. Total cost was about $750. (just called my insurance, told them the total and they cut me a check) Wish I had just gone with Tesla in the first place. Very pleasant experience.

I wonder if the cost is somewhat dependent on what shop time is in your state? It was $938 for me, all in. Thats what I got billed for, what I paid on my CC for, and submitted to my insurance for reimbursement. Im in CA though and you are in IL.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I wonder if the cost is somewhat dependent on what shop time is in your state? It was $938 for me, all in. Thats what I got billed for, what I paid on my CC for, and submitted to my insurance for reimbursement. Im in CA though and you are in IL.
It's gotta be shop rate differences. I just looked at my invoice, it was actually $783.36 with tax. I remembered the pre-tax amount which was $745.

My breakdown was $495 for the windshield, $250 for labor and $38.36 in tax.

It's gotta be shop rate differences. I just looked at my invoice, it was actually $783.36 with tax. I remembered the pre-tax amount which was $745.

My breakdown was $495 for the windshield, $250 for labor and $38.36 in tax.

On my invoice, its $495 for windshield, $399.75 for labor, and tax ($43.31). Not too surprising but I dont think of IL as someplace that is an order of magnitude cheaper than CA, but I have never lived there so maybe it is.

Slightly a side topic but what about tinting the replacement window. Is it possible to have the done prior to the new glass put in? Gotta be easier that way. I’ve got 70% right now and it’s perfect but this is the original glass and it’s a pitted mess and starting to mess with the cameras during AP and FSD driving.

On my invoice, its $495 for windshield, $399.75 for labor, and tax ($43.31). Not too surprising but I dont think of IL as someplace that is an order of magnitude cheaper than CA, but I have never lived there so maybe it is.
Yea, that's a pretty large difference in labor cost. CA is definitely more expensive across the board vs. Illinois (my brother lives out there so we've discussed this at length), but the Chicago area definitely isn't a cheap place to live. Oh well, glad to have it covered by insurance!

Reactions: jjrandorin