Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Replacement Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week, a previously repaired rock chip turned into a full-blown crack making its way across my windshield. I called around and the local Safelite won't deal with Tesla any more, and the glass place I finally found has told me to expect a 4-6 week wait for a new windshield.

I'm wondering what experience the rest of you have with replacing a Model 3 windshield. Is there any way to speed up this process? Are there other shops that can get windshields in more quickly? I understand that the service centers won't do windshields any more, either.

This is Bay Area, in the East Bay.

My service center has me scheduled for windshield glass replacement tomorrow morning. I used the app to make the appointment and one of the options was “glass replacement.”

They subsequently texted me and confirmed my appointment and estimated the total price as $1200. I’ll know more tomorrow morning.

We had our Model 3 windshield replaced at the Service Center a couple weeks ago. Tesla won't work with your insurance company so you'd have to pay and then get reimbursed (if you have glass coverage)...but they do still replace windshields if you pay them to.

It was only around $850 for our replacement. It was about $100 less than the original ~$950 estimate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Foster
Last week, a previously repaired rock chip turned into a full-blown crack making its way across my windshield. I called around and the local Safelite won't deal with Tesla any more, and the glass place I finally found has told me to expect a 4-6 week wait for a new windshield.

I'm wondering what experience the rest of you have with replacing a Model 3 windshield. Is there any way to speed up this process? Are there other shops that can get windshields in more quickly? I understand that the service centers won't do windshields any more, either.

I just got my windshield replaced at Santa Clara SC. They have it in stock and $987.65 total.

My deductible is $1k and I’m working to get the extra $200 covered if the estimate is accurate. Fingers crossed that it’s more in line with the other numbers here.

Do you got estimate like this?
1. General Diagnosis Price 97.50
2. Clean Up Broken Glass Price 78.00
3. Replace Windshield Assembly Only Price 350.00
4. M3 WSHLD ASSY LHD IR ACOUSTIC(1466270-50-B) 585.00
Pay Type: Customer Pay 1,110.50 plus tax
My final invoice only charge for item 3 & 4 plus tax, $987.65 total

Do you got estimate like this?
1. General Diagnosis Price 97.50
2. Clean Up Broken Glass Price 78.00
3. Replace Windshield Assembly Only Price 350.00
4. M3 WSHLD ASSY LHD IR ACOUSTIC(1466270-50-B) 585.00
Pay Type: Customer Pay 1,110.50
My final invoice only charge for item 3 & 4

They did not give me a detailed estimate but I also didn’t ask for one. Tesla doesn’t exactly negotiate and the crack is straight across my line of sight so I didn’t think it useful to get a breakdown of costs. I sure hope it matches yours though! I’m also looking forward to the acoustic glass as my car is too early to have it.

Pretty straight forward for me. Had my windshield replaced last week at the Buena Park service center. Did the appointment through the app and the nearest appt was about 6 weeks out. Made the appt anyway but I called the service center to see if they had anything closer considering I had a 3 year old and I explained having a cracked windshield was dangerous. They were nice enough to push my appt closer and they let me know they would be placing the order for the replacement windshield now so that by the time my appt came around, it would be ready for me. Dropped by car off, they gave me a Model S loaner. Took I believe 2 days and I was on my way. I was invoiced $1035.00. $585 for the windshield and $409 for labor.

BTW you guys might want to check what the cost is to drop deductible for comprehensive to $0.

I drive 95% highways, about 75+ miles a day- the extra like 10 bucks every 6 months is WELL worth not paying a $1000 deductible every few years I need a windshield replaced... (let alone if I get unlucky with a deer).

They did not give me a detailed estimate but I also didn’t ask for one. Tesla doesn’t exactly negotiate and the crack is straight across my line of sight so I didn’t think it useful to get a breakdown of costs. I sure hope it matches yours though! I’m also looking forward to the acoustic glass as my car is too early to have it.
I think you can talk to their customer service do some item adjustment. I txt them I need an estimate to ask my insurance for pre-approval, then they email me a formal estimate without item 1 & 2.

AAA offers Full Glass Coverage for about $80 per year. Zero Deductible. Tesla Windshield replacement was simple to schedule on the Tesla.app. About 3 days before the service, they confirmed over TEXT and emailed a quote (about $1,000 for parts and labor).

Use the quote to get AAA to pre-appoval the cost before heading into the service appointment.

Once the service is performed, you have to pay in advance from your CC. Then you will submit the paid invoice to AAA for a check to re-imbursement of your cost.

AAA will mail a check to you in about 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Yep, I have AAA with the full 0 deductible on glass. This is great info, everyone. When I searched earlier, there were all sorts of messages saying that the service centers wouldn't do glass any more, so I didn't get an appointment at that time. Now I'm scrambling to get it in as soon as I can.

Install ExoShield on your new windshields so you don't need another replacement! :) ExoShield | Windshield Protection Film
A certified installer said it only lasts about a year and will cost about $400-$500 for a windshield. At that rate, it would almost be cheaper to replace the windshield every two years.

We tested ExoShield on a windshield and it chipped/cracked just as bad as without. We didn't see any benefit.

Last edited:
Gaaa, this is so frustrating. I made an appointment with the service center in Dublin CA and later got this text message:

This is Tesla Virtual Service reaching out regarding your upcoming service visit. Unfortunately Tesla does not perform glass repair/ replacement. Here are some contacts for your glass replacement needs. The first three are mobile companies. They will purchase parts directly from our service centers and work with your insurance. The last link is to our network of certified body shops in your area.
...and it went on to provide contacts with local glass shops, one of which is the one that said it would take 4-6 weeks.

Gaaa, this is so frustrating. I made an appointment with the service center in Dublin CA and later got this text message:

This is Tesla Virtual Service reaching out regarding your upcoming service visit. Unfortunately Tesla does not perform glass repair/ replacement. Here are some contacts for your glass replacement needs. The first three are mobile companies. They will purchase parts directly from our service centers and work with your insurance. The last link is to our network of certified body shops in your area.
...and it went on to provide contacts with local glass shops, one of which is the one that said it would take 4-6 weeks.

Maybe just Dublin SC doesn't do glass replacement. You may try different SC. Santa Clara SC just done windshield replacement on my car two days ago. I got a Model S loaner while my car in their shop.

Last edited:
I got my windshield replaced Friday at the Torrance SC. The grand total was $1030.00.

I was pretty impressed with the whole experience. I made the appointment on the app on Monday morning, they had a spot available Friday afternoon (the first day I could get there) and they messaged me on Tuesday letting me know they could do it earlier if I had time. When I arrived they gave me a $200 Uber voucher for the day and then had the repair completed that afternoon.

My only complaint is that they didn’t wash the glass after they installed it which is pretty lame. They also left a bit of installation debris in the car but I brushed it off the dash. The autopilot took a day and a half to recalibrate and hugged the right side of the lane until it fixed itself.

All in all a good experience. Good availability, part in stock, quick turnaround.

I had mine replaced about 6 weeks ago, had a double strike from a rock chip so it wasn't able to be repaired.

I could have used Safelite or Tesla but decided to do it at the SC since they have to recalibrate the cameras anyhow. Dropped it off Monday got it back Wednesday. Total was about $1050.