Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Replacement Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my windshield replaced at Plano / TX SC a few months ago and they did bust 2x frunk clips during that process.... set up an appointment with mobile service a few weeks later and they replaced them. Easy enough. The frunk clips are quite fragile / hard plastic and break easily .... the windshield replacement itself was done nicely and zero complaints. Insurance (Farmers) fully reimbursed me a few weeks later.

I went to Safelite for getting a smaller chip fixed (North Texas highways are a mess with construction debris / dump trucks EVERYWHERE) and they did a good job. HOWEVER - they were very unfamiliar with Teslas, didnt know how to open the doors etc... so it's fair to assume they haven't replaced many windshields. I wouldn't let a Safelite tech do his first Tesla windshield replacement on my vehicle to be honest. Safelite also put a nice dent into the hood of my wifes SUV when fixing a chip... they are definitely hit or miss...

I still need to find a way to get the windshield wiper bolt caps they left off.
I’m even willing to pay for the damn things instead of trying to communicate with a SC I have no other business with at the moment.

I hear you... why not set up mobile service appointment and just tell them to leave the bolt caps in your mail box or on your car?

• Helpful
Reactions: woodisgood
I had my windshield replaced at Satellite after catching a rock chip that cracked across the passenger side of the windshield about five minutes after catching the rock. Satellite techs did a beautiful job. It took about three weeks to get the replacement windshield, but they have to come from Tesla so I wasn't surprised that a minor wait would be necessary. I was told by my insurance agent that I'd have to schedule a recalibration with Tesla following the installation at Satellite, but was subsequently informed by Tesla no calibration was required. They stated that the cameras in the Model 3 are "self-calibrating". Apparently they were right - no issues with Autopilot. Cost of the replacement was about $1,600 (parts and labor), but it was covered by insurance.

I hear you... why not set up mobile service appointment and just tell them to leave the bolt caps in your mail box or on your car?

Good idea! I didn't think I would be able to schedule mobile service but was able to - left them a note to leave it or mail it at their convenience - will feel silly if they have to make a special trip to keep the scheduled appt. Hope it works out!

I texted Tesla on October 25 to let them know about a windshield fracture and inquire about process of replacement as I had a long-scheduled appointment for several repairs at the nearest service center, two hours away (yes, I live in Michigan). After not hearing back, I texted again 6 days later and they said they would forward to the certified glass repair shop they are woking with to replace. After not hearing from anyone, I texted back a week later and they said they had notified the third party. Nearly three weeks after I initially let Tesla know and they "initiated the process", I heard from the third party that they would be able to replace when the car is there next week. This afternoon they called back and said there is a four week backorder and that Tesla has unbeknownst to me, scheduled me to drive the car four hours round trip to get the windshield replaced, exactly 8 weeks after I started the process. Apparently there are a surprising number of 2019 Model 3s needing replacement in the last few weeks with fractures. That's worrisome but the whole experience, complete with not getting text replies twice for a week, is downright depressing. I never thought I would yearn for the GM service experience.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
I texted Tesla on October 25 to let them know about a windshield fracture and inquire about process of replacement as I had a long-scheduled appointment for several repairs at the nearest service center, two hours away (yes, I live in Michigan). After not hearing back, I texted again 6 days later and they said they would forward to the certified glass repair shop they are woking with to replace. After not hearing from anyone, I texted back a week later and they said they had notified the third party. Nearly three weeks after I initially let Tesla know and they "initiated the process", I heard from the third party that they would be able to replace when the car is there next week. This afternoon they called back and said there is a four week backorder and that Tesla has unbeknownst to me, scheduled me to drive the car four hours round trip to get the windshield replaced, exactly 8 weeks after I started the process. Apparently there are a surprising number of 2019 Model 3s needing replacement in the last few weeks with fractures. That's worrisome but the whole experience, complete with not getting text replies twice for a week, is downright depressing. I never thought I would yearn for the GM service experience.

Depending where you are in Michigan, if Indianapolis is a reasonable option, you might check there. Two weeks ago they joked with me that their windshield stock looked like Sam's Club. Apparently from the sounds of this thread, they're hoarding them from the rest of the country.

"texas_star_TM3, post: 4198468, member: 118889"]$1,600 ????????? The SC in Texas changed it parts+labor for around $980....

Yep, the total cost was $1,604 and change. Ironically, this is where my insurance carriers asked me to take it. I'll push for taking it to the Service Center (SC) next time.

It's not just the last few weeks. These windshields have been on backorder for many months now, at least.
Yes, I think they were referencing the number of '19 Model 3's that are coming in with cracked windshields in the last few weeks, perhaps alluding to the question of whether it's tied to the Midwest suddenly transitioning to below freezing temps.

"texas_star_TM3, post: 4198468, member: 118889"]$1,600 ????????? The SC in Texas changed it parts+labor for around $980....

Yep, the total cost was $1,604 and change. Ironically, this is where my insurance carriers asked me to take it. I'll push for taking it to the Service Center (SC) next time.

Does the invoice have a break down of parts and labor? The windshield is like $600 in part. I don't know how they could charge $1000 labor....that's crazy. Now if you have a Model X... the windshield replacement is close to $1600 total... not for Model 3 though. Maybe they charge you for the wrong car?

2018 Model 3, rock to the lower right windshield, crack developed over a few days to about 15 inches long. State Farm insurance. Called insurance, they recommended a whole list of replacement companies. The first one sounded like Joe's Payless Auto Glass. I was not about to trust my baby to a place with a name like that. I asked about Tesla, she said they had issues with Tesla accepting their approved cost. After going through a list of about 10 shops, I scheduled an appointment with Safelite. We had used them before successfully on another car years ago, and they came to us. She assured me they would come to me. They got me in with 2 days notice. But only at a location about 30 miles away. (although very close to the Tesla factory) Mobile service was like 2 weeks out. But as I was talking to Safelite, and answering their questions about lane keeping capability, and automatic windshield wipers, etc. I started to see red flags. I scheduled an appointment with Tesla Santa Clara on the app in like 5 minutes, for next Monday. I got the quote today, $1171. I scheduled both thinking I could cancel one after a nights sleep and little more research. After reading the horror stories about frunk clips and all, I think I will cancel Safelite and wait until next week to get it done right, and if not, at least they will be able to fix anything they mess up. Calling insurance now to find out how to get reimbursed, at least partially. I'll try to remember to update how it goes.

UPDATE: I called Safelite to cancel, was directed to website, they had my car listed as a Model S. I cancelled. Easy to use website though.

Update: TLDR: I am leaving State Farm as soon as I get whatever piddly check they send me.
I had the work done at Tesla. It went fantastic. Very communicative. They fixed some outstanding bulletins as well. Looks fantastic. My baby is back to healthy again. State farm's customer service phone lines are a mess. Every time someone gave me a number to call, it was the wrong one. (claims, instead of glass only claims) On the last call of several I was told I did not even need a claim. Just fax in the invoice, and they will reimburse. I tried to talk the person out of cancelling the claim but they insisted. I called my agent, and they were apoligetic, saying I definitely needed a claim. I am done with them.

• Informative
Does the invoice have a break down of parts and labor? The windshield is like $600 in part. I don't know how they could charge $1000 labor....that's crazy. Now if you have a Model X... the windshield replacement is close to $1600 total... not for Model 3 though. Maybe they charge you for the wrong car?

I pulled the invoice, and the parts were $1,170 and labor was $300. Tax added $144.06 for a total cost of $1,614.06. The invoice specifically states it is for a Model 3. Maybe they marked up the cost of the windshield? That's a lot of mark up though.

I pulled the invoice, and the parts were $1,170 and labor was $300. Tax added $144.06 for a total cost of $1,614.06. The invoice specifically states it is for a Model 3. Maybe they marked up the cost of the windshield? That's a lot of mark up though.

My invoice from Tesla at Pomona in SoCal shows
$558.06 (Parts)
$367.50 (Labor)
$53.02 (Sales Tax)
$978.58 (Total)

Maybe they have to pay UPS Next Day Air to ship the windshield? But even that, I can't see the shipping cost could be over $600.

When I purchased my car there was a crack in the windshield and they noted on the agreement that it would be replaced free of charge at the SC. It took a couple of weeks to get an appointment but eventually they did get it replaced.

Unfortunately they replaced it with another windshield that had a crack seemingly in between some of the layers of glass. I haven’t bothered going back yet but I’m not the happiest although I’ll admit it would’ve been nearly impossible to spot beforehand.

Update: TLDR: I am leaving State Farm as soon as I get whatever piddly check they send me.
I had the work done at Tesla. It went fantastic. Very communicative. They fixed some outstanding bulletins as well. Looks fantastic. My baby is back to healthy again. State farm's customer service phone lines are a mess. Every time someone gave me a number to call, it was the wrong one. (claims, instead of glass only claims) On the last call of several I was told I did not even need a claim. Just fax in the invoice, and they will reimburse. I tried to talk the person out of cancelling the claim but they insisted. I called my agent, and they were apoligetic, saying I definitely needed a claim. I am done with them.
Update: I faxes invoice for windshield. Two business days later, State Farm transfered $670 into my bank account. This is the $1170 cost to repair windshield, minus my $500 deductable.