Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield tint prevented camera calibration [fixed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a photo of the forward facing camera taken from outside. I've marked where the tint ends.

Can confirm that mine is slightly lower (and its 80% tint) and i haven't had any issues so far, but i've only had it tinted for about 3 weeks now

If you look at the defroster lines, it appears mine is about 1 "spacing" lower compared to yours. Installed by Concours Auto Spa in LA who does a ton of Tesla work.

IMG_20200214_192550.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Can confirm that mine is slightly lower (and its 80% tint) and i haven't had any issues so far, but i've only had it tinted for about 3 weeks now

If you look at the defroster lines, it appears mine is about 1 "spacing" lower compared to yours. Installed by Concours Auto Spa in LA who does a ton of Tesla work.

View attachment 511308
Looks like just a hair lower. I didn't have any issue until 8 months later - now, it may or may not be related to the tint.

So, if you start experiencing the issues I've got (+ auto high beam not working), remove your tint before going to the SC.

It's possible the camera just failed on it's own but tough to fight it.

I want to provide an update to everyone because I received a ton of support, guidance and information here.

Tint installer cut out the tint that is inside the camera line of sight (foc) back in Feb. It didn't resolve the issue automatically like I had waited and with Shelter in place I didn't want to leave the house but decided last week that this could be the best time for servicing a car since they are not busy.

Sent to SC and they recalibrated the camera and voila, now AP works and no sentry error messages. I used AP otw home from the SC, that felt soooooo good.

Repeat thread: Posted in other forums

Since end Nov/Dec, I've experienced issues related to autopilot and sentry mode.

1) Auto Pilot constantly not available. It started intermittently but after about 2 months it's now completely unavailable.
2) Sentry Mode constantly turned off due to Sentry error. Usually after about 10mins, even if I manually turn it back on. It can still record when its turned on. I use Samsung T5 SSD
3) Heating seems to be generally focused on the back. It'll be super hot at the back but nice and comfy up front. If I turn the back heater off, the heater will generally focus on the foot area.

Brought my car in for servicing and was told they are all related, i.e. the dashcam/camera on the rearview camera is the problem. They tried recalibrating but couldn't fix it.

Now, here's the rub. They are blaming the issue on my tinted windshield, i.e. the tint installer messed it up when installing the tint on the windshield.

I had my windshield tinted back in April 2019 by Rodz Tint Shop and have had no problem until late Nov/early Dec. Tesla couldn't explain the lapse in time except "it could've failed over time".

So, it'll be out of pocket fix for me - replace windshield and camera.

Does this sound right?

What windshield tinter actually tinted underneath that top center piece?

He couldn't explain why it worked in the past and now recently, but did state that the software updates could make the cameras more sensitive hence it stopped working. And, he couldn't explain why a windshield replacement is needed so they're adjusting the quote/recommendation.

This seems plausible. ESP given one of the recent updates had something in the notes that camera recalibration might even be required to work. That’s for cars that didn’t have tint applied and didn’t have something removed and replaced by a non Telstra employee.

Others will argue, esp given the amount of customization here, but this is one of the reasons I don’t do much customizing anymore, even for simple and seemingly harmless things like tint.

Manufacturers use any argument they can to deny service for any reason they can. You can always argue the point, perhaps even prove to them it’s unrelated. But is it really work all the waste time, effort, and stress. My time is worth to much. Either deal with independent’s and pay for it yourself ( there are some even for Tesla that tackle most anything) or limit customizing and deal with the repercussions.

Just as an example I upgraded the cameras on one of my cars to the next years. Otherwise everything was the same. I used factory cameras. Replaced with factory harness. And had it turned on and activated by an authorized dealer. Eventually they went out of alignment and my local dealer refused to do anything, even if it wasn’t done in warranty, or even if I paid for it.

I want to provide an update to everyone because I received a ton of support, guidance and information here.

Tint installer cut out the tint that is inside the camera line of sight (foc) back in Feb. It didn't resolve the issue automatically like I had waited and with Shelter in place I didn't want to leave the house but decided last week that this could be the best time for servicing a car since they are not busy.

Sent to SC and they recalibrated the camera and voila, now AP works and no sentry error messages. I used AP otw home from the SC, that felt soooooo good.

thanks for the information, hopefully the tint installer and service center didn't charge you too much for the final fixes.