Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers are horrible, and arguably dangerous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone is so impatient. Give it a couple years.

While I can wait a couple of years for some refinements like the media player updates. Things like windshield wipers should not be released in its current form, while I would not go so far as to say they are dangerous, they are a pain to live with.

Maybe my standards are higher, but I have no confidence they can solve self driving when they cant properly code the windshield wipers...to sense rain and wipe it off. I know, I want a lot.

Drove a 2013 Model S loaner the other day. I can tell you it's autowiper functionality is far superior to the Model 3. The Model 3 is useless at night, and useless in anything other than a good rain. Light, misty rain is not detected.

This should be a release priority. It's my biggest issue with the car.

That's been exactly my experience. It works well in "regual" rain during the daytime. At night and with misting rain, the auto wipers do not function.

We had a 2006 Acura MDX that had the best auto-wipers I've ever used. I miss those. (My wife currently drives a 2009 RDX with the "tech package" and Acura took out the auto wipers on that - contrary to our experience, Acura claimed they didn't work well.)

I'd love to see video of this. Unless it only changed in the very latest 2019 updates, I don't see how some cars would do this, but others would not. Any behavior that is not consistent would be a bug.

Make sure your wipers are fully off (not auto) before doing this.

Even when the wipers are off, it brings up the card when you push or half push the end of the stalk (with the wiper on/off card only). But if you then enable the wipers you have those other options.

I guess the only reason to avoid using auto (instead, leaving the wipers off) is if you were dealing with snow and ice?

In any case, does not seem all that difficult to select the appropriate wiper setting. Of course it would be better if auto wipers actually worked well. There seems to be a range of rain intensity where they really do not have the correct wipe frequency.

Last edited:
Additional notes to what's already been mentioned: Half-press on the left stalk button will turn on the wipers for one sweep. It should also highlight the wiper controls on the screen so you can adjust/change speed setting. Full press on the left stalk button will activate the windshield washer. It might take a couple of times to figure out just how hard/much to push the button but then it's easily duplicated when needed.

I found that when going from software 2018.28.1 to 2018.50.6 the wipers got more sensitive to the amount of rain on the glass. If you are running old software that might explain it.
You can even refine it further. If you hold in the half press on the stalk button the wipers keep going until you release. Likewise if you hold in the full press on the stalk button the wiping and washing continues until you release it - great feature. My autos are ok most of the time but sometimes I go for manual as they seem to lose their mind sometimes. The stalk press pulling the controls up on the touch screen is super useful and easy to change the setting. The auto wipers are in beta still and work is left to do, but they have improved considerably for me over various releases since they launched.

Even when the wipers are off, it brings up the card when you push or half push the end of the stalk (with the wiper on/off card only). But if you then enable the wipers you have those other options.

I guess the only reason to avoid using auto (instead, leaving the wipers off) is if you were dealing with snow and ice?

In any case, does not seem all that difficult to select the appropriate wiper setting. Of course it would be better if auto wipers actually worked well. There seems to be a range of rain intensity where they really do not have the correct wipe frequency.

Yes. This is exactly what I am seeing. Içm just suggesting that a simple softwate update could remove a step. Currently, if the wipers are fully off, you press the button on the stalk (card comes up), you turn on the wipers via the card, then you choose your speed. I'd much rather see the speed options pop up immediately when the stalk button is pressed, so you only have to tap the screen once. It's a little change, but it adds up, and is an easy one to implement.

Reactions: nvx1977
Yes. This is exactly what I am seeing. Içm just suggesting that a simple softwate update could remove a step. Currently, if the wipers are fully off, you press the button on the stalk (card comes up), you turn on the wipers via the card, then you choose your speed. I'd much rather see the speed options pop up immediately when the stalk button is pressed, so you only have to tap the screen once. It's a little change, but it adds up, and is an easy one to implement.

I just always leave mine in auto, and then have no problems; there is no extra step. But I have no snow or ice issues to worry about.

It remembers your last setting even when off, so potentially you may still have only one touch to get what you want (if you left the wipers on a useful setting).

The auto wipers on my car are essentially useless. They don't turn on until the windshield is completely covered in rain to the point that you can't see anything. So just use the manual wipers, right? Well there's no control. You have to fish around on the touch screen to find the setting.

Crappy auto-mode + terrible ergonomics on manual mode = seriously unfortunate combination.

Has anyone tried working with service to get their auto-wiper functionality working better? Or do they tell you there's nothing that can be done?

I love the car, but the wipers are garbage, making it annoying driving this car in the rain.

Reactions: 1 person
I just always leave mine in auto, and then have no problems; there is no extra step. But I have no snow or ice issues to worry about.

It remembers your last setting even when off, so potentially you may still have only one touch to get what you want (if you left the wipers on a useful setting).

I would do that, except that in auto mode I have seen them come blasting on at max speed with a slight drizzle. Auto just isn't working well enough for me to be left on.

• Informative
Agree that the auto setting still sucks.

It is particularly bad with wet road conditions, where it is not still raining, but you get road spray/mist on the windshield.

And, I've figured out one of the reasons why. It appears that the aerodynamics causes the spray to land on the windshield where you need to see, but not so much in the area of the camera. So, the car doesn't know the windshield is wet. Don't know any way to fix this.

I have a short video, but TMC says it's too big. Anyone know the solution to post it?

I emailed my local Tesla service center and received this reply.

"Please keep in mind that the auto-wipers are still in Beta. Also stated in the manual that if you are uncertain about using the auto setting while in the Beta phase, Tesla recommends operating the wipers manually, as necessary. Also the sensitivity of the auto-wipers will be improved with future firmware updates. Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions, many thanks!"

So it seems we have to wait until they're out of Beta to complain about them.

• Informative
I emailed my local Tesla service center and received this reply.

"Please keep in mind that the auto-wipers are still in Beta. Also stated in the manual that if you are uncertain about using the auto setting while in the Beta phase, Tesla recommends operating the wipers manually, as necessary. Also the sensitivity of the auto-wipers will be improved with future firmware updates. Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions, many thanks!"

So it seems we have to wait until they're out of Beta to complain about them.
Next time I upset my girlfriend, I'm going to tell her that our relationship is still in Beta and things will improve with future updates.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is anything on the car that is not in beta. The motors and batteries are pretty stout. Not sure about everything else. The wipers can be dangerous in fine mist, especially combined with foggy conditions. Best to use manual mode. And upgrade to some silicone blades.

My M3 washer just dribbles a little water. No spray. Service told me that was normal on the M3. How can I find out without trying another model 3?

I can tell you the lack of sufficient washer fluid on the drivers side is my biggest gripe. I'm surprised it's not talked about much here unless it's not the same for all cars. On a snowy time the dirty spray kicked up is constant and I have to hold the washer down for several passes in hopes the flood of fluid unleashed on the passenger side wiper will make its way over to the driver side a bit. The bottom left quadrant remains opaque.

I have a service appointment tomorrow but sadly I'm expecting the working as designed line. I'd really love to hear if this is consistent with others in winter sleet.

Reactions: Aellinsar
My wipers have (oddly) been recognizing when to wipe pretty well the last few weeks to the point I’ve noticed it.

But while it now seems to know when to wipe, when left to its own devices the blades stutter badly across the glass. Same conditions with a manual setting and they’re perfectly smooth.

Does anyone else experience a heavy stutter in Auto but they’re immediately smooth on a manual setting?