Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter - Reduction of miles seen.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Model-3 Owners,

I have the Model-3 past almost four months now. The days am not using the car, I am seeing around 5-7 miles reduction on around 24 hours time period. I keep the cabin temperature maintenance option off, also I don't keep it plugged all times.

Does anyone have similar 'issue'??

Thanks!

Hello Model-3 Owners,

I have the Model-3 past almost four months now. The days am not using the car, I am seeing around 5-7 miles reduction on around 24 hours time period. I keep the cabin temperature maintenance option off, also I don't keep it plugged all times.

Thanks!
That's pretty much the reduction I'm seeing too. It does seem like the phantom drain is more in the winter than the summer but I have no facts to back that up.

This is probably the car heating up the battery to keep it from freezing. You lost more in the winter than in the summer. I've lost 15% in a week before which is bad but I'm glad the battery is safe.

1-2% loss per day is normal. How often are you checking the app? Any third-party apps?

Also, per the manual, you should be keeping it plugged in whenever you can.

I usually check the Tesla app once in morning & once in evening , there are no third party apps installed.
If it's plugged in then I don't see that much drain on daily basis opposed to it being disconnected.

Hello Model-3 Owners,

Thanks!
It’s not an issue. It’s expected behavior in the winter. We get posts like this from new Tesla owners every year about this time.

Will the loss be lot less in summers or will it then try to run the a/c to keep the batteries cool, and hence lose miles daily?

I'm losing @ 3 miles per day .. just got the car in Dec 2018.

I know NMC batteries can be stored at 100F without degrading significantly. Maybe tesla battery management is smart and takes into account state of charge + temperature for active cooling.

Reactions: rraghu78
1-2% loss per day is normal. How often are you checking the app? Any third-party apps?

Also, per the manual, you should be keeping it plugged in whenever you can.

Hi there, I use Stats for Tesla (iOS app only). It’s great! Does not contribute to phantom drain. It’s a one time purchase, but worth it. I have heard Texas summers (if parked outside at work) are going to be bad for Model 3 due to car trying to keep the battery cool down.

I find the the M3 losses to be pretty unacceptable. I was able to get my S down to 1% every couple days. Normal loss with no load on the battery over even a week is nonsense for those thinking it is chemistry, you can take the 12V line off a LEAF and let it sit for weeks with no no notable loss. In my climate no cooling or heating should never be needed when parked yet I often hear a pump running in my car almost every other time i go to the garage. Why is this required? I see the Tesla dash cam seems to run 24-7 as I saw motion footage on mine at night, this if still true is a poor design and should have an option setting to run only when the car is on if desired since this would be a consumption issue. I have owned more than seven EVs and never had one waste so much power. Some M3s sitting use more power with parasitic loads in a week then a Nissan LEAF uses for a full pack charge, that is an incredible waste of energy and pack cycling over the course of years. Certainly there must be ways to improve this as it seems worse than the S in relative cases as the older S models ere cycling the contactor for longer than needed 12V charge sessions. I thought a smaller DC/DC was used now to remedy this.

I find the the M3 losses to be pretty unacceptable. I was able to get my S down to 1% every couple days. Normal loss with no load on the battery over even a week is nonsense for those thinking it is chemistry, you can take the 12V line off a LEAF and let it sit for weeks with no no notable loss. In my climate no cooling or heating should never be needed when parked yet I often hear a pump running in my car almost every other time i go to the garage. Why is this required? I see the Tesla dash cam seems to run 24-7 as I saw motion footage on mine at night, this if still true is a poor design and should have an option setting to run only when the car is on if desired since this would be a consumption issue. I have owned more than seven EVs and never had one waste so much power. Some M3s sitting use more power with parasitic loads in a week then a Nissan LEAF uses for a full pack charge, that is an incredible waste of energy and pack cycling over the course of years. Certainly there must be ways to improve this as it seems worse than the S in relative cases as the older S models ere cycling the contactor for longer than needed 12V charge sessions. I thought a smaller DC/DC was used now to remedy this.
Your car may not be turning off. Do you have the horn beep selected for locking? Is your phone close to where the car is parked? You should not hear anything running until you open a door.

Yes of course it is off, it honks, no he phone is not close:) Others have reported this as well. Stupid thing was running for about 6 hours today for no god reason.

You should hear no noise from the model 3 when left locked and alone. It should be asleep.
You’ve been on this forum since May, and seem to be an EV veteran If you hear your car running all the time, you might link this to your battery drain.
If you hear a noise, the car is on. ..
That would explain the drain.

Call Tesla or try to figure out why your car stays on.