Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No problem. I ran a quick search (I want to find that early comparison) and came across this thread. Read the top couple comments. You'll feel even better!

Thanks!

Apparently I had read that thread myself, over a year ago. I found the following. If only it were true...

The R2's are that much better than the Pirellis? I have the Pirellis and they were quite good in the the snow in upstate NY. Can't imagine how much better they can get - I was unstoppable in a foot of snow. Good to know, will change to the R2's when the Pirellis wear out or if I am unsatisfied.

I am very glad to hear of your experience with the Pirellis, ROCDOC. I've been worried about snow traction with the Pirellis since reading how everyone (else) here seems to feel about them as compared to the Hakkas. I have a pretty steep driveway, and occasionally need to get up it before it has been plowed. My Acura with front wheel drive and four good snow tires does it in reasonably snowy conditions, so I was hoping the P85D would be able to as well. If you were happy with the Pirellis, I imagine with AWD I should be happy too. So thanks!

I seem to recall a gentleman writing about his experience switching from the Tesla offered tire to the Hakka 2. This was really early on (2012-13?) and on a RWD car. The Hakkpellita 2 were dramatically better.

That was probably me. I have the Hakka R2's on my early 2013 RWD car and just by coincidence had two service visits with loaners on heavy snow days. The loaners both had the Tesla Pirelli winter set and the difference was, at least to me, dramatic between the loaners and my own car. I could easily plow through areas that the loaners could barely navigate.

That was probably me. I have the Hakka R2's on my early 2013 RWD car and just by coincidence had two service visits with loaners on heavy snow days. The loaners both had the Tesla Pirelli winter set and the difference was, at least to me, dramatic between the loaners and my own car. I could easily plow through areas that the loaners could barely navigate.

Yes, I think it was. I'm glad you saw this and confirmed the difference between the two. I have no idea why Tesla continues to sell the Pirellis.

I think the Pirellis are a decent compromise that works for many of us. I understand the Pirellis are likely not the best on ice or in the harshest conditions but the trade off is they are not so soft at warmer temperatures that they melt after a few thousand miles.

So, for me they work. I put them on in early December in Louisiana (where they are not needed) and then over the course of the next few months make a couple of trips to snow country. They may not be the cats meow in all winter conditions but they are far superior to the 21" summer tires and they perform well cruising down the highway in 60 degree weather too. The compromise tire...

I'm not defending Nokian's actions. But unless they are somehow managing to deliver the special testing tires to everyone here who uses Nokians, including Cottonwood, who did his own testing, I'm not too concerned about this. The people who love the Nokians love them because of how they function, not because of test results. What the company did is wrong, but at least they seem to be owning up to it. I'm still planning on replacing my Pirellis with the Nokian Hakka R2s when the time comes.

I'm not defending Nokian's actions. But unless they are somehow managing to deliver the special testing tires to everyone here who uses Nokians, including Cottonwood, who did his own testing, I'm not too concerned about this. The people who love the Nokians love them because of how they function, not because of test results. What the company did is wrong, but at least they seem to be owning up to it. I'm still planning on replacing my Pirellis with the Nokian Hakka R2s when the time comes.
All my ice racing buddies used Nokian when they couldn't get custom ice racing tires. As they won enough times on the Nokians, it's not all cheating.

I found someone getting rid of Michelin X-ice xi2's. Does anyone know if these will work on the Model S? Is there a big difference between these and the xi3's?
If they car the correct size and carrying capacity they will work as long as you don't exceed their speed rating. I don't know what the performance differences are between the two (means performance in winter conditions).

Having used my Pirelli winter tires all Winter including my Christmas trip back to Kansas, I'm happy with them. Maybe they're not the greatest winter tires but they worked well enough for me. But most of my winter driving is just in wet weather.

Just finished my first full winter (7,500 miles) on a set of Pirelli Sottozero 3's, 245/45/19 on factory rims on my 2015 85D (all wheel drive). Spent several weekends in the Sierras dealing with ice, snow, sanded roads, steep driveways, etc. I can't imagine a car handling any better. On a 2-lane, unplowed road I probably passed 30 cars, SUV's and trucks in a 20 minute period without a single slip. I'm sure the AWD helps, but these Sottozero 3's were superb. Swapping them out for summer tires on 20" wheels this week and looking forward to next winter already.

• Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
I'm looking at what Tesla is offering going into Winter 2016 (trying to get an early jump on it so I can have them in hand), and am wondering how flexible they are about bringing in other tires to be mounted on whatever rims Tesla has? I'm looking online at TireRack, but not too happy with the recommended installers in the area (Toronto). I was looking at a set of Michelin X-ICE XI3s. Has anyone had experience with these tires? The alternatives are either the Nokian Hakka or Bridgestone Blizzaks.

I'm looking at what Tesla is offering going into Winter 2016 (trying to get an early jump on it so I can have them in hand), and am wondering how flexible they are about bringing in other tires to be mounted on whatever rims Tesla has? I'm looking online at TireRack, but not too happy with the recommended installers in the area (Toronto). I was looking at a set of Michelin X-ICE XI3s. Has anyone had experience with these tires? The alternatives are either the Nokian Hakka or Bridgestone Blizzaks.

I don't know what their policy is. In the past, I've taken the wheels/pressure sensors from Tesla and taken them to a tire store for mounting and installation. I'd just shoot them an email or call them.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
either the Nokian Hakka or Bridgestone Blizzaks.

+1 for Nokian.
Also, don't waste time/effort booking Tesla service appointments for trivial things like tires/rims.

I went to KalTire in Toronto and bought rims (19" R187 turbine look grey matching the Tesla 21's) and tires last year, could not be happier with the result:
Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

KalTire have a number of locations in Ontario, and if you have an issue, you are closer for service if you are on the road than if you need to get towed back to Toronto for example to get service by Tesla.

There is an (irrational) fear that Tesla is a special car, but when it comes to wheels, rims, tires, brakes, windshield washer fluid, etc, it's just another car...cheers, good luck with your winter tire hunt!

I can't speak to the quality or performance of the tire, but for those looking to save a few bucks, you can pick up a set of 19" Yokahama W.drives for $372. I purchased a set to mount next year, as my current X-ice's should get me through this winter. I believe the tires I received were manufactured in 2011, which is likely the reason they're discounted >50%.

4 NEW 245 45 19 Yokohama W.Drive V902B 102V BSW XL TIRES 245/45R19 2454519 SNOW

I can't speak to the quality or performance of the tire, but for those looking to save a few bucks, you can pick up a set of 19" Yokahama W.drives for $372. I purchased a set to mount next year, as my current X-ice's should get me through this winter. I believe the tires I received were manufactured in 2011, which is likely the reason they're discounted >50%.

4 NEW 245 45 19 Yokohama W.Drive V902B 102V BSW XL TIRES 245/45R19 2454519 SNOW

How long have you had the Michelins and how far have you driven on them? Any issues with them that are making you look elsewhere?

How long have you had the Michelins and how far have you driven on them? Any issues with them that are making you look elsewhere?
No, the X-ice's are fantastic tires. I actually only have one winter on them, but had purchased them slightly used. Mine are actually Xi2's, which are the old model.

I'm not "looking elsewhere", so much as I'm very price sensitive (aka. cheap). I also have my own tire changing equipment, so don't mind changing out tires often.

I was just looking at Tesla's online store and they currently recommend (sell) the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 240 for 19in wheels and the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 for 21in wheels. I have 19s and am looking to get the best winter traction for the upcoming Chicago winter cause last year wasn't very confidence inspiring in the All Season stock tires. TireRack sells both the Sottozero 3 and the Sottozero Serie II (which I think is the same thing as what Tesla calls the 240). They recommend the Sottozero 3. Does anyone have any experience with those or do you think the Serie II is good enough?

Thanks,

Kevin

Attachments

• tire_comparison.png
    tire_comparison.png
    243.3 KB · Views: 72