Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, those look like they have pretty good reviews and even have a low rolling resistance rating. I'll probably get those. Anyone have any idea what Tesla charges for new TPMS sensors and center caps?
I think they were pretty reasonable on cost for the TPMS, like 60-70 dollars per sensor? Just make sure you get the right kind, there were two kinds for Model S. They changed brands late 2014.

I just purchased and had installed
Pirelli Sottozero 3 on the graphite silver Rial Lugano wheels (Tesla centercaps)

No snow in Tahoe yet, but I feel ready.
I did drive to the Bay Area in moderately hard rain this past weekend and the tires and car performed without an issue.

Looks great on the car too. Tirerack delivered them in 2 days. My Tesla SC sent the centercaps in two days too, $20

Winter is looming and I'm pondering my options. I've run Nokians for the past two seasons but now I'm wondering if I should chance a third year on them. When new: TeslaPittsburgh.com: The Winter War - Preparing for Battle - Part 1

Unfortunately, those two winters were relatively mild here in the 'burgh, at least for snowfall if not temperatures. I don't think we ever drove the car at temps above 60 degrees, but the nonetheless, the tread wear has been higher than I expected (maybe 7000 miles on them). I'll take responsibility for some of that (my other 3-season Primacys didn't go far either), but generally I felt the Hakkas were pretty much horrific on rainy/wet roads... which is mostly what we ended up with.

So... I guess the question is, at what point do you retire snow tires? Mine aren't to the wear bars but they ARE snow tires, so I assume that isn't as relative a metric (thoughts?) Given that generally our roads aren't as arduous to traverse as yinz guys deep in the land of Canadia, would the Michelins be a better option with longer tread life? I think I could get those through Costco too. My plan of inaction at the moment is to just limit the Nokians to actual storm use and swap them off when we're generally in the clear, to try and eek another year out of them. Rumor has it that THIS is the year of the big snow storms-- but then I've heard that before!

Nokian have two wear bars. One for snow and one for rain etc.

My understanding:

Nokian HakkaR2 best for cold, snow, iceVerify Tire Wear / Nokian Tires
Mich X-ice3 best for cold and slush
Pirrelli best for spirited driving in cold
Others cheaper and last longer.

Ohh.... two wear bars?? First I saw that.

Will have to look into that: Verify Tire Wear / Nokian Tires

UPDATE: Just looked. Not on my Nokians. I guess that was added sometime after 2014??

Last edited:
UPDATE: Just looked. Not on my Nokians. I guess that was added sometime after 2014??

I'd have to go out and look at mine, but I recall something about a snowflake icon in the tread somewhere along with the more traditional wear bars. When the snowflake is no longer visible, they are not as good in the snow, but still serviceable as long as you're not down to the wear bars. Can anyone confirm this?

Last December I put 245/45R-19 PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 MO MERCEDES XL on my P85. I've been quite happy with them after a Tahoe ski season. Cost about $1100 from TireRack with shipping (minus some kind of mail-in rebate), plus $60 for mounting. Then it was $100 to put my all season Michelins back on in the spring.

Given that most of my driving with winter tires on is still on clean, dry pavement, I think it's important that these tires behave quite well under those circumstances as well.

• Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
I'd have to go out and look at mine, but I recall something about a snowflake icon in the tread somewhere along with the more traditional wear bars. When the snowflake is no longer visible, they are not as good in the snow, but still serviceable as long as you're not down to the wear bars. Can anyone confirm this?
My understanding is that you should not use them for winter when the snowflake is gone. Of course, since there are no "snow tire wear bar" regulations in North America, it's advisory only. Some areas outside of North America enforce it.

Reactions: mknox
Winter is looming and I'm pondering my options. I've run Nokians for the past two seasons but now I'm wondering if I should chance a third year on them. When new: TeslaPittsburgh.com: The Winter War - Preparing for Battle - Part 1

Unfortunately, those two winters were relatively mild here in the 'burgh, at least for snowfall if not temperatures. I don't think we ever drove the car at temps above 60 degrees, but the nonetheless, the tread wear has been higher than I expected (maybe 7000 miles on them). I'll take responsibility for some of that (my other 3-season Primacys didn't go far either), but generally I felt the Hakkas were pretty much horrific on rainy/wet roads... which is mostly what we ended up with.

So... I guess the question is, at what point do you retire snow tires? Mine aren't to the wear bars but they ARE snow tires, so I assume that isn't as relative a metric (thoughts?) Given that generally our roads aren't as arduous to traverse as yinz guys deep in the land of Canadia, would the Michelins be a better option with longer tread life? I think I could get those through Costco too. My plan of inaction at the moment is to just limit the Nokians to actual storm use and swap them off when we're generally in the clear, to try and eek another year out of them. Rumor has it that THIS is the year of the big snow storms-- but then I've heard that before!
Nokians doesnt handle all that well on wet asphalt . You need to inflate them to 50 psi and take it more slow.

As for expiry they perform best on snow and ice in the first season . I know people who buy a new set each season. I would say 4-5 seasons is the age limit. So three seasons should be ok but expect diminished traction on snow and ice if you compare to when they were new. On snow and ice they should still be able to drive circles around tires like the sottozero, so no need to panic

Reactions: Newscutter
Thanks for the suggestions-- will try the higher psi for sure. Have been slowing down on wet roads because of a few unsettling wiggles I've had (we have a lot of elevation changes and curves here... and I have a heavy foot).

I've decided to delay putting the tires on for a at least a month, perhaps more depending on the forecast. I can do them in my own garage in short order (multiple jacks) so not a big deal. Heck, I might swap them back off during warmer spells just to try and conserve them! 4-5 seasons?? I'm guessing not in my case.

Per Nokian website, the minimum safe winter groove depth is 4mm.

Reactions: Newscutter
This is my first winter with my Model S. I'm looking to change my wheels from the 21" (P245/35R21) summers and put on the 19" wheels with new winter tires (nokian hekkaR2 P245/45R19XL). Is there anything I need to do in the settings when I make this size change? Thanks!

This is my first winter with my Model S. I'm looking to change my wheels from the 21" (P245/35R21) summers and put on the 19" wheels with new winter tires (nokian hekkaR2 P245/45R19XL). Is there anything I need to do in the settings when I make this size change? Thanks!

Just finished a similar switch out, so I wanted to share a couple of items - I have a 2014 Model S85:

Switched: 21" Conti Sport 245/35/21 FOR 19" Michelin X-ICE I3 with Real Lugano Titanium Gunmetal with new TPMS

We haven't had any snow/ice yet, just a little cold/wet weather. Some things to consider:

- The price quoted by Tire Rack was more than the price my tire installer was able to get (about $250 difference).
- The tire shop that installed the Michelin X-Ice was great, but I still need to get my local Tesla Ranger to adjust the TPMS sensors.
- The normal ride on the Michelin X-Ice is quieter and softer than the ride on the 21" Conti's.
- The first time I went to do a quick pass on the X-Ice, I almost put my Model S in the ditch. The handling on the X-Ice vs. the Conti's is like driving on marshmallows vs. riding on rails. Slower, more gentle maneuvering is recommended.
- Many people said the range difference of the 19" vs. the 21" would make up some or all of the range loss for winter. Still TBD, but the last commute I did to work on the 21's (about 20 miles) and the first commute on the 19s looked like this:

Last 21" wheel commute:

Distance = 19 miles - 1/2 hwy at 70 and 1/2 mix of city at 30 and 50
Temp = 42 degrees, dry pavement, no wind

Started with about 227 miles actual. Averaged 330kw/mi. Ended with 203 actual and 181 Projected.

First 19" winter wheel commute:

Distance = 19 miles - same route
Temp = 41 degrees, damp pavement with drizzle and 10-15 mph wind

Started with about 227 miles actual. Averaged 270 kw/mi. Ended with 210 actual and 230 Projected.

(Some of the difference may be how I drove, I drove normally on the 21s, but may have been more careful on the 19s to maximize range....but not enough to make up for the significant difference).

So far I like the Michelin X-Ice, but can see the trade off between winter and performance and 19" vs. 21" .

Reactions: jbcarioca
Not in my experience. I had a 40 mile (each way) commute and our winters here see a lot of wet highways. I found the wet traction to be excellent. They will be going back on for their 4th winter very soon.

I believe all tires would have enough traction on we tires for daily usage. As for stopping distance in an emergency Norwegian tests has it coming to a stop after 45,4 meters from 80kph. The best tire in the test did the same in 31,2 meters. All tires tested on a Ford Focus.

I use the Hakka R2's myself I just drive extra carefully in conditions they are not optimal in

For the image grey lines are studded winter tires blues are studless

Attachments

• våt asfalt.JPG
    våt asfalt.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited: