Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a question that I hope someone here can help answer:

Already have the 19" all season tires that Tesla provides on the car with the TPMS. With the winter coming up (I live in Toronto), I'm going to be getting some winter tires (pretty much decided on the Hakka R2). My question is this:

Can I get the Hakka R2 installed from a third party (Kal Tire) onto the 19" rims that are currently being used and still use the same TPMS for the new tires?

Have a question that I hope someone here can help answer:

Already have the 19" all season tires that Tesla provides on the car with the TPMS. With the winter coming up (I live in Toronto), I'm going to be getting some winter tires (pretty much decided on the Hakka R2). My question is this:

Can I get the Hakka R2 installed from a third party (Kal Tire) onto the 19" rims that are currently being used and still use the same TPMS for the new tires?
Yes, that's exactly what I did last year.

Yes, that's exactly what I did last year.

Thanks! Definitely will save a bunch of money.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure. Not a problem. I bought new summer tires last spring and had Kal Tire mount them on to current rims with current TPMS sensors. No issues.

Do you switch between summer and winter tires on the same rims? I read somewhere that over time, this isn't good for the rims. I've never heard of that before but also don't have much experience with doing this. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Definitely will save a bunch of money.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you switch between summer and winter tires on the same rims? I read somewhere that over time, this isn't good for the rims. I've never heard of that before but also don't have much experience with doing this. Any thoughts?
I personally bought 21s for the summer so my winters will remain on the 19s.

No, I have separate summer (Rial Lugano 19") and winter (Tesla OEM 19") rims. I wore out my first set of summer tires and had to replace them.

It can be done... but don't. It's not good for the tires to be repeated stretched, and every time you do it there's some risk of damaging the rims and/or TPMS sensors.

I've always bought a second set of rims to avoid swapping tires twice a year. Rims cost money, but if you add up the costs to mount and balance twice a year, that number isn't small over the life of the car. And as Doug noted, repeated stretching of the tire bead isn't great for their longevity.

As well, winter conditions are brutal on rims. A sacrificial set of wheels for winter use saves your good ones. And when it comes time to re-sell, you'll get some value out of the second set if you do it right.

Lastly... storing tires isn't much different to storing tires mounted on wheels... both clutter your garage! :rolleyes:

We just did this last week, namely, Kal Tire removed the summer OEM tires from the stock 19" rims, and put new R2's on the rims.
Kal had a small number of R2 left the last time I checked with them.

For summer, looking to purchase "Replika R141A" rims at just under $200 per rim (with tax) and put the OEM summer tires on them.

Working on getting acceptance for the black Replika's, whereas my wife likes the shiny silver that look stock.

We just did this last week, namely, Kal Tire removed the summer OEM tires from the stock 19" rims, and put new R2's on the rims.
Kal had a small number of R2 left the last time I checked with them

That's good news. When I got mine 2 winters ago, I inquired in August and was told "no problem... come back in October or November and we'll get you set up". When I went back, they were completely out of stock, but the Kal Tire guy was able to track down a shipment (still on the boat) on their way to BC. He arranged to have them shipped from BC to Ontario, and I had them installed mid-December. The first winter snow storm actually started while my car was on the hoist. Perfect timing!

In Vancouver with a D, I'd give the stock tires a try this winter. Awd is so good and with your mild winters I don't think its worth the investment. Try it this winter and if they aren't quite up to your standards, get some good Nokian all seasons before next winter, or go separates.

thanks for the suggestion, I guess I could have put that as option (c)...
maybe ok just within the city, however I don't think all-seasons aren't going to cut it for a drive up to Whistler, for example. I think even Cypress Mtn just across the way from downtown sometimes won't let you up the road without winter-rated tires.

And so if at some point I'm likely to want winters or all-weather WRG3s anyhow, I'm thinking to do it right on delivery with the OEM 19" wheels (assuming the SC can do that before delivery), and set aside the Michelins all-seasons unused/new for now then decide what to do with those as I mentioned in my earlier post in the thread.

Perfect timing!

Well, that's mostly because I was advised to "make it so" by the cars owner (my wife)... ;-)

Here's some pictures of the tires, quite aggressive tread pattern!

IMG_20151030_111510.jpg
IMG_20151030_111447.jpg

And so if at some point I'm likely to want winters or all-weather WRG3s anyhow, I'm thinking to do it right on delivery with the OEM 19" wheels (assuming the SC can do that before delivery), and set aside the Michelins all-seasons unused/new for now then decide what to do with those as I mentioned in my earlier post in the thread.
Before you select the final tire, consider the rolling resistance. The Hakka R2 is rated for low rolling resistance, but I have no idea about the WRG3's. Might be worth looking into if range is ever a concern!

Before you select the final tire, consider the rolling resistance. The Hakka R2 is rated for low rolling resistance, but I have no idea about the WRG3's. Might be worth looking into if range is ever a concern!
Good point. Is there any objective measure or comparison of rolling resistance of these?

I read somewhere that the WRG3 has something like 12% lower rolling resistance than the previous generation WRG2, but I don't know what that means compared to the R2 (or vs the OEM Milchelin all-seasons, for that matter)

I saw someone report in another thread about summer performance of the WRG3 tires on a Model S that they noticed no obvious loss of range on long trips, so I'm hopeful they may be a reasonable general purpose choice

Good point. Is there any objective measure or comparison of rolling resistance of these?
That I don't know. But I do recall seeing the R2 as being used on the BMW i3 and being designed with rolling resistance in mind. It has been rated highly for use on EV's for this reason.

Perhaps I'm a purist at heart, but I've never been happy with the idea that one tire can do all seasons without giving up something along the way. If it's good on ice and in snow, it's likely going to be mushy on a hot day in the summer. If it performs well in the summer, it's going to feel like you're on marbles in the winter.

In Vancouver, those days of difficult winter conditions are relatively infrequent. But when you get them, they're really icy! Up to the ski hill - yeah, you'll likely get turned back if you don't have the snowflake on the tires...

The way I look at it, a set of new R2's are about 1% of the price of the car. I spent more on wrapping the front end... and again by adding a second charger... it's worth it to be safe. And enjoy some performance grip in the summer... :cool:

Consumer Reports rated the rolling resistance of X-Ice and R2's as Excellent. WRG3's was Good. Unfortunately, they don't publish specifics.

ok, thanks - good to know at least as relative comparison.

by the way, what do people think of the OEM all-seasons that come with the car as summer tires? I believe the car comes with Michelin Primacy XMX4, if not mistaken.

back to @beeeerock's comments... actually I'm not a big fan of all-season tires myself, though I am intrigued a bit my these relatively recent all-weather tires like the WRG3 (a friend raves about his Hankook Optimo 4S tires, though I know those aren't applicable in these sizes). I'm used to separate sets of performance summers and winters on my old car and changing them myself. So I know the tradeoff of performance vs convenience. maybe I'm getting old and lazy and figuring maybe I can live with all-weathers - and also not having to buy a new heavier-duty jack required for this heavy car to continue my own wheel changes.

by the way, what do people think of the OEM all-seasons that come with the car as summer tires? I believe the car comes with Michelin Primacy XMX4, if not mistaken.

I replaced my OEM Goodyear tires (what Tesla were providing in early 2013) with MXM4s this spring as my "summer" tires. They seem just fine... no complaints.

I can confirm this after putting on R2's last week. Drove 120 km on the 401 highway the other night and averaged 175 Wh/km, about the lowest I've seen so far, easily on par with the OEM summer tires.

Great! I think I told you that had been my experience, so I am glad to hear your experience matches mine.