Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do they charge for this? Kal Tire (where I bought mine) will swap them for free, but I usually just do it myself at home. It's a bit of work, but I kinda enjoy it.
I believe yes. I bought my summer tires from Costco but had them installed at Tesla. I went to Costco once to have them rotated, and the worker there refused to touch the car because it is expensive and he doesn't want to be responsible for anything. From that moment I decided to have the service centre do everything related to tires and rims :)

...and the worker there refused to touch the car because it is expensive and he doesn't want to be responsible for anything. From that moment I decided to have the service centre do everything related to tires and rims :)

That's weird. There is nothing particularly special about the wheels on the Model S. You just have to be careful about the lifting points, but they are very obvious on the bottom sides of the car. What I have done is print out the page from the manual that shows how to lift the car (raise suspension, put in Jack Mode, where the lift points are etc.) and laminated it. I give it to the tire installer when it's in for tires. (I've done the same with the towing instructions page in case I ever need a tow by a non-Tesla roadside assistance crew).

That's weird. There is nothing particularly special about the wheels on the Model S. You just have to be careful about the lifting points, but they are very obvious on the bottom sides of the car. What I have done is print out the page from the manual that shows how to lift the car (raise suspension, put in Jack Mode, where the lift points are etc.) and laminated it. I give it to the tire installer when it's in for tires. (I've done the same with the towing instructions page in case I ever need a tow by a non-Tesla roadside assistance crew).
That's exactly what I said. At the end, it's just a car and have regular wheels. He insisted that they have just "regular" equipment and he don't want to lose his job if something happens. Other workers were behind him nodding in agreement! Some people are interesting...

Bought Nokian R2's from Kal Tire based on mknox recommendation (my wife insisted) and will get them put on the OEM rims on Oct 30.
Will purchase rims in winter (Replika) and have the Goodyear tires put on them.

Your wife is obviously a very intelligent woman :biggrin: That's exactly what I did: use the OEM rims for winter and buy after-market for my summers.

Curious to know when most switch over to their winters. I do realize it might vary by region. Here in Southern Ontario, I usually do my swap in mid-November.

I usually switch when the forecast predicts an imminent blizzard. But I have a car lift and can do it in 20 minutes.

This year my car is going in for service on November 10th, and they've offered to do it... so I might let them.

Curious to know when most switch over to their winters. I do realize it might vary by region. Here in Southern Ontario, I usually do my swap in mid-November.

When I lived in "Trawna" I changed them mid-November. Now that I'm in that snow-belt, and micro-climate, at the top of the Niagara Escarpment in Mono, I do them around November 1. I have an appointment at Tranmere on Nov 4 to do that ( and get a new windshield - gravel roads are a pain ).

When I lived in "Trawna" I changed them mid-November. Now that I'm in that snow-belt, and micro-climate, at the top of the Niagara Escarpment in Mono, I do them around November 1. I have an appointment at Tranmere on Nov 4 to do that ( and get a new windshield - gravel roads are a pain ).

Ouch! Sorry about the windshield! I've started to notice quite a few cars with their winter tires on already. Lots of folks just use plain old black steel rims in the winter (I do on my other car) and it's pretty obvious!

Ouch! Sorry about the windshield! I've started to notice quite a few cars with their winter tires on already. Lots of folks just use plain old black steel rims in the winter (I do on my other car) and it's pretty obvious!
LOL, I replaced my first windshield a couple of months after delivery... middle of the summer! Hate the road bullets.

No ghetto wheels for me... I swapped a fresh set of Hakka R2's onto my 19's yesterday. A little early, but I'm doing too much driving through the mountains these days to risk it any longer. And... that was when Kal Tire had an opening for me! ;-)

No ghetto wheels for me...

Yeah, I don't think there even is a steel wheel that will fit on the Tesla anyway. It was the same for my old Cadillac CTS. Something about room for the brakes that steel rims can't accommodate (or something like that). On my old Pontiac Vibe, the steel rims are just fine (I have aluminum rims for the summer). Maybe I'll splurge this winter and buy hub caps :smile:

Winter in Calgary arrives at extremely variable dates, so I generally swap when the weather turns, because I do it myself in my garage I don't have to worry about the inevitable long waits at tire shops at that time. However if I have to go to the mountains any time after about Oct 1st I'll put the winters on before that.
They stay on until... often mid may. Whenever we've had good sustained good weather and nothing else in the forecast. (I wake up every 4-5 years on may long weekend to over a foot of snow...)

soon-to-be 70D owner here(!)... order confirms in a few days and delivery should be sometime in Dec, I assume. So starting to think ahead about winter tires

Q: before delivery, can I purchase my own set of winter tires from another vendor, give them to the Tesla service centre, and once my car arrives have them swap out the OEM Michelin all-season and mount the new tires on the std 19" wheels I ordered with the car? - even if I have to pay a fee to do so. Saves a step compared to taking delivery and leaving the SC with the OEM Michelins in mid-December, and I don't like the winter tire packages offered by Tesla.

here's what I'm thinking, either
a) buy a set of Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires for use on the OEM 19" wheels, save the Michelins and between now and spring find an aftermarket set of rims on which to mount those for summer
b) buy a set of Nokian WRG3 all-weather tires for use on the OEM 19" wheels, and use them year-round (I see successful reports of using the WRG3 with Model S in this other thread)
Then either sell the unused Michelins, or if I later find that the WRG3 aren't so good in summer I could always mount the Michelins on another set of rims, worst case.

what do you think?

With my old AWD ICE car, I'm used to running separate sets of performance summer and winter tires each on their own rims, and swapping them out myself twice/yr. Though we don't usually get much snow in town, I always change to winters once the temps start going down, usually by late Nov. I don't trust the OEM all-season tires even with our relatively mild winter weather, especially for this heavy car.

But I'm hoping that the WRG3 should be fine for winters around here and if they're as good year-round as people say, maybe I can avoid the extra hassle of swapping summer/winter tires.

soon-to-be 70D owner here(!)... order confirms in a few days and delivery should be sometime in Dec, I assume. So starting to think ahead about winter tires

Q: before delivery, can I purchase my own set of winter tires from another vendor, give them to the Tesla service centre, and once my car arrives have them swap out the OEM Michelin all-season and mount the new tires on the std 19" wheels I ordered with the car? - even if I have to pay a fee to do so. Saves a step compared to taking delivery and leaving the SC with the OEM Michelins in mid-December, and I don't like the winter tire packages offered by Tesla.

here's what I'm thinking, either
a) buy a set of Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires for use on the OEM 19" wheels, save the Michelins and between now and spring find an aftermarket set of rims on which to mount those for summer
b) buy a set of Nokian WRG3 all-weather tires for use on the OEM 19" wheels, and use them year-round (I see successful reports of using the WRG3 with Model S in this other thread)
Then either sell the unused Michelins, or if I later find that the WRG3 aren't so good in summer I could always mount the Michelins on another set of rims, worst case.

what do you think?

With my old AWD ICE car, I'm used to running separate sets of performance summer and winter tires each on their own rims, and swapping them out myself twice/yr. Though we don't usually get much snow in town, I always change to winters once the temps start going down, usually by late Nov. I don't trust the OEM all-season tires even with our relatively mild winter weather, especially for this heavy car.

But I'm hoping that the WRG3 should be fine for winters around here and if they're as good year-round as people say, maybe I can avoid the extra hassle of swapping summer/winter tires.

In Vancouver with a D, I'd give the stock tires a try this winter. Awd is so good and with your mild winters I don't think its worth the investment. Try it this winter and if they aren't quite up to your standards, get some good Nokian all seasons before next winter, or go separates.