Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellow Model X owners. I recently traded my '14 Model S for a '16 Model X. I'm interested in info on putting 19" winter tires on the MX. Has anyone done this and what size of tires should I be looking at to keep the speedo accurate? Also, has anyone driven their MX in reasonably severe winter conditions on the factory all season tires? I appreciate any help with this. Alan

This will be my first winter with my MX but I'm not planning on getting winter tires. I've conversed with many people online from the Minnesota Tesla club who have a MX and used the standard all season tire through the winter just fine. Those that did get winter tires loved them, and those that kept the standard tries said they were fine as well. I plan to see how this winter goes and adjust accordingly for next year.

I love my 19" winter tires, which I purchased directly from Tesla (price includes installation and storage for first season). I have been swapping them out myself after the first install. I've always been a big fan on using winter tires in winter, so I can't compare how the all-seasons compare. Last winter, the X was solid in the 2 storms I drove it through.

I have used both the all season 20's and a dedicated set of winter tires on 19's in very significant winter storms last year in Tahoe. Car is fantastic in snow with winter tires. I felt a substantial increase in control when we had the true winter tires. The air suspension gave the car plenty of clearance even when we got 2-3 feet over night. Car just plowed right through. There was a ton of snow last season. If you are spending a significant amount of time in cold weather/snow country, it is worth the investment to make your car as safe as it can be. I got my set through tire rack and it worked out great. The 19 inch package through Tesla isn't a bad way to go either. The winter tires do reduce your range about 5-10%, so plan accordingly.

Reactions: vandacca
Nokian winter tires are nothing short of amazing, stud them and it's unstoppable. I run the studless on my other vehicles, have a set in the factory 20" size on order for my MX. Last winter in Montana I drove with the then new all seasons (received my car mid January). The car handled reasonably well, but certainly not as good as my previous car with the Nokians. This winter I decided to buy true winter tires rather than "get by" with half worn out all seasons. (14k miles).

In my opinion, those who say it does "fine" with all seasons have never experienced driving with a true, high end snow tire such as Nokian. There really is a difference. If you live in an actual winter climate such as Montana where you will be driving on snow covered roads a considerable amount of time, it's well worth the investment. If you occasionally see snow, I'd stick with the all seasons, the AWD system works quite well and the car is heavier than a normal car due to the battery.

You will take a slight range hit and snow tires do wear faster on pavement.

Reactions: vandacca