Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper position for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Y Long Range and drove it for the first time yesterday morning in heavy rain, and during the rain, the right passenger side wiper repeatedly activated at a high rate of speed, and the wiper's full activation position was in the middle of my field of vision, leaving a trail of watermark/wiper mark on the windshield, making it very difficult for me to see through when I was driving. This got me thinking, and I wanted to ask if this is possible...

Is it possible to make the wiper position on the passenger side stop about 4” before the wiper as shown in the picture. (This is a reference diagram to explain)
When rain pours like this morning, repeated operation of the passenger side wiper leaves wiper marks on the glass, which impairs visibility while driving. Thank you in advance.
1718203459700.png

I have a 2023 Y Long Range and drove it for the first time yesterday morning in heavy rain, and during the rain, the right passenger side wiper repeatedly activated at a high rate of speed, and the wiper's full activation position was in the middle of my field of vision, leaving a trail of watermark/wiper mark on the windshield, making it very difficult for me to see through when I was driving. This got me thinking, and I wanted to ask if this is possible...

Is it possible to make the wiper position on the passenger side stop about 4” before the wiper as shown in the picture. (This is a reference diagram to explain)
When rain pours like this morning, repeated operation of the passenger side wiper leaves wiper marks on the glass, which impairs visibility while driving. Thank you in advance.
View attachment 1055729
No!

Upvote 0
Highly doubt you can adjust the throw of the wipers.

But you say 'wiper marks' while in heavy rain. Are you saying the wiper is not actually clearing the water from the glass? To me, the wiper position is not the problem. The wiper seems to be doing a poor job of clearing the water. Either the wiper blade is bad and/or your windshield has something on it that makes it hard for the wiper to clear the water. I would start by really cleaning your windshield. After that, use a garden hose and test out the wiper action and see if it helps. If that doesn't help, I'd change the blades. If that doesn't help, I guess there could be some fault with the wiper arm that it's not putting enough pressure on the windshield to clear the water.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Upvote 0
Highly doubt you can adjust the throw of the wipers.
Indeed, that's a mechanical function of the internal linkages of the arms and gears of the wiper motors. maybe someone could manufacture a different linkage, but it would be a lot of work.

I too suffer from a kind of smear in front of my direct vision sometimes - maybe time to replace the blades.

Upvote 0
I hear ya! The passenger wiper stupidly stops right in the drivers line of sight. No fixing that. One day I'll run my wiper fluid out and replace it with rain-x, it should help a bit. I have a hard time seeing with oncoming traffic when it's raining at night, Rain-x makes it much more bearable. FYI, I asked several service people, and none seem to have an issue using it.

Upvote 0