Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wired article on 4th and 5th Tesla vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another important quote from the article:

“In a lot of respects, it’ll be a scaled down Model S,” Musk told Wired. “Something like 20 to 25 percent smaller than the Model S.” It will also include the same hatchback design as Tesla’s current sedan.

Though the last part wasn't in quotes.

Another important quote from the article:

“In a lot of respects, it’ll be a scaled down Model S,” Musk told Wired. “Something like 20 to 25 percent smaller than the Model S.” It will also include the same hatchback design as Tesla’s current sedan.

Though the last part wasn't in quotes.
I'm hoping they address the rear headroom issue though (which a mini-Model S might not).

I see myself finally getting into proper Tesla ownership when Gen III comes around.
As much as I love it, Roadster1 was just out of my price range.
Model S is just more car (too big) than I need.
Gen III will likely be "just right".
*but*, now I am a bit conflicted about which variant.
The LEAF I have now is basically the right size, and has good utility (for a family of 4 with modest cargo needs), but I could possibly justify getting myself a 2 seat sports car (wife always has a 4+ seater when needed) if it was way more fun than the sedan & CUV. But if the sedan & CUV were plenty sporty I might be tempted to take the added utility instead of ultimate sportiness. Heck, Model S is already proving that a big luxo sedan can be quite sporty with the full Tesla treatment. So, I will likely be "cross shopping" all the gen 3 variants trying to figure out which one is the best compromise (sporty vs utility vs price vs styling vs comfort vs etc.) I used to have a "low slung sportscar or bust" mindset, but actually matured in my thought process to the point that I appreciate some things in a taller vehicle like better forward visibility and easier ingress/egress. If the CUV has sportcar like handling (low center of gravity), and some benefits of AWD not available on the other models I might get swayed. But it will have to really stand out as the style and efficiency (bigger frontal area) will likely suffer compared to the pure sports car. I am looking forward to seeing what Tesla comes up with for all 3 so that I can contemplate which one is right.

As much as I love it, Roadster1 was just out of my price range.
Model S is just more car (too big) than I need.
Gen III will likely be "just right".

I hear ya! Though I would add that the Roadster was also too small. I tried sitting in it and had the frame of the windshield in my line-of-sight – of course, that was with the roof off!

Anyway... sweet news on their future plans! Any one of those could work for me: a 25% smaller Model S, a compact crossover, or a normal-sized sports car... ha, maybe even any two! Bring 'em on! (Please!)

Last edited:
Because there would be model S, model E, and model X. :wink:

Add model Y for the new roadster, and Tesla would be pretty sexy :wink:

I did not see that coming. I was like "Sex joke??" ... :eek:/

When Elon said Model "E" I just assumed he meant "electric" and I was wondering why he was laughing . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Does not sound like the design team or R&D is being scaled back at all.

There's no way Elon will ditch his engineering team. Though I've hypothesized that Elon might need to shift more of their compensation to stock options for the next few months to get past the cash crunch. If they're like me they'll work for Cheeto's and Diet Coke if you promise them stock options at the end of the rainbow.

There's no way Elon will ditch his engineering team. Though I've hypothesized that Elon might need to shift more of their compensation to stock options for the next few months to get past the cash crunch. If they're like me they'll work for Cheeto's and Diet Coke if you promise them stock options at the end of the rainbow.
That's not how the song goes!
It's "Fritos, Tab, and Mountain Dew."

http://www.jonathancoulton.com/chords/code-monkey/