Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wired.DE photo of 3 under a cloak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading the article and Franz's interview, all indications is that Model 3 is sexy and not a weirdmobile or crazy aerodynamic as previously reported. As I had previously mentioned, Tesla has erred on the side of "normal" for Model 3 and created a sexy and sporty car that should appeal to everyone because they want to appeal to the masses and not some short-term early adopter crowd. Sounds like we have a winner.

I have read it one more time in German and also "English" did not find anything like that...
I'll readily admit my German is rusty, but this is the part I mean:

"Auch beim Besuch von WIRED im Tesla-Designstudio im Januar blieb das Model 3 unter einer dunklen Decke versteckt. Wen man auch fragt, niemand will oder darf drüber reden. Nicht mal Tesla-Chefdesigner Franz von Holzhausen rückte so richtig mit der Sprache raus."

What's your translation?

I already provided the Google translated article link above... Basically the gist is that they visited in January, spoke to Franz, took a few pictures and were not permitted to see the finished car. They did take a picture of the actual Model 3 which is still veiled in black.

The interviewer asks why the others are doing "futuristic Batmobile designs" (that's a dig @ Faraday) and Franz states Tesla wants to remain relevant long-term and Model 3 is designed for mass market appeal and not "early adopters". I take this to mean they basically mixed Model S and Model X designs and came up with something sexy and familiar yet sporty. Anyhow, anough tea-leaf reading for now, we'll know for sure tomorrow.

I just don't see what you see. I've tried showing what I see (pardon the crude drawing.):

View attachment 169279

There is however a slight bump at the back that doesn't fit with the curve - a spoiler, I think.

Thanks for the comparison! It does bear out that you may certainly be right, but perhaps my hope wants it to be the Model 3? LOL.

I'm still looking to the shape of the roof, which doesn't appear as sleek as the Model S, and that flared rear fender, also not on the Model S. If you look at the curve you put where the rear wheelwell would be, look just above it and you'll see that flare that isn't on the smooth sides of the Model S. It's entirely possible that I may just be seeing things as well! :D

Thanks for the comparison! It does bear out that you may certainly be right, but perhaps my hope wants it to be the Model 3? LOL.

I'm still looking to the shape of the roof, which doesn't appear as sleek as the Model S, and that flared rear fender, also not on the Model S. If you look at the curve you put where the rear wheelwell would be, look just above it and you'll see that flare that isn't on the smooth sides of the Model S. It's entirely possible that I may just be seeing things as well! :D
It's certainly not impossible that it's the Model 3, but I'm pretty sure it's not. I just don't want anyone to be disappointed if the car revealed tomorrow isn't as sleek.

I expect the Model 3 to have a shorter hood, steeper rear and be slightly taller. The leak from Electrek goes a long way to confirm that. And this is not what's pictured.

I expect the Model 3 to be less sleek, but almost as good looking as the Model S. In return for looking slightly less exciting, you get similar seating and luggage space as the Model S in a shorter car.

Reactions: pinski