Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless/inductive charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If all manufacturers agreed on the same wireless charging standard or if Tesla was big enough to force one on everyone it might work. It definitely had a place in city or street parking. Would be a great solution but not sure how we get there.

plugging a cable in is certainly not a problem. But why not have a bit more convenience? Doesnt hurt more. Now where things are beginning to change why not do it complete.
Also wireless chargers could be a big attractor for the nay sayers. E-cars could become even more interesting.

plugging a cable in is certainly not a problem. But why not have a bit more convenience? Doesnt hurt more. Now where things are beginning to change why not do it complete.
Also wireless chargers could be a big attractor for the nay sayers. E-cars could become even more interesting.

Where does that 3-10% of lost power go? Most have assumed that it all goes to heating losses. A fraction will go to electromagnetic radiated power. Even 0.5% possible radiated power from a 10 kW station is 50 Watts of power pushed into the ether. I'd rather just use a plug than scatter a lot more electromagnetic radiated power into our environment!

Also, this is the perfect application for cell phone charging. This has been proposed for years, but has not caught on because of continuing problems. If no one can make a 5 Watt, reliable, wireless cell phone charger, then I would not put my hopes on a 10,000 Watt car charger anytime soon.

Also, this is the perfect application for cell phone charging. This has been proposed for years, but has not caught on because of continuing problems. If no one can make a 5 Watt, reliable, wireless cell phone charger, then I would not put my hopes on a 10,000 Watt car charger anytime soon.

Exactly, see my post above about iQi Iphone charger. Got it and was really excited. Guess what, after 1 week my wife gave it up. Me being more stubborn kept it for 4 weeks but finally had to admit it sucked.

Why are you so against it? Where went the spirit for innovation? :wink:
By the way , i admire you for charging your e-car with water power.

I'm not against it per definition. I'm just pointing out that in my experience (i.e. drawing from personal experience with cell phone) it's one of those thing that sounds great in theory but in really just isn't that great. With the phone you want what you want with the car: safety (no fires, not too much heat), reliability (don't wake up to empty phone/empty car) and ease of use (not necessary to reposition phone several times - no need to park the car perfectly every time and have to back up and down a few cm every other day).

charging a cell phone sth different as with e-cars.
For a cell phone manufactures doesnt take it as serious as with e-cars of course. They dont have to take many responsibility for 20 dollar accessory.
Electromagnetic induction works always. Its a law of nature and from where we get our whole electricity in power plants.

charging a cell phone sth different as with e-cars.
For a cell phone manufactures doesnt take it as serious as with e-cars of course. They dont have to take many responsibility for 20 dollar accessory.
Electromagnetic induction works always. Its a law of nature.

Why is it different, apart from scale? Both are things we rely on for daily use, they have batteries, as of today are charged by plugging in which takes about 5 seconds, we need them to be charged when we need to use them, we need the mechanism to never fail, we need it to be safe. I don't see much difference aside from scale.

Electromagnetic induction works always. Its a law of nature and from where we get our whole electricity in power plants.

Yes, but the AC power distribution system relies on iron core transformers to work well. The two (or more) coils are wrapped around an iron core that couples and contains the magnetic flux very efficiently.

These proposals are "air core" transformers with a big gap between the coils. Here is a quote from http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/tech/transfor.htm
Transformers with air cores are used in radio work. They have no core losses, and are not limited in frequency (which is why they are used). A little calculation will show how hopeless an air-core transformer is at power frequencies. Air core transformers have large leakage fluxes, which cannot be avoided, and therefore poor regulation. Windings must be carefully designed to give the largest mutual flux possible.

Now, to make these "wireless" charging systems work, a higher frequency is used to increase the air core efficiency, but the issue of "large leakage fluxes" still exists and is one of the reasons I prefer to just keep my plug.

Ask chinese manufacturers , not me. :wink:
Tesla Model S uses already wireless charging.
Watson.?
What is regenerative breaking?
That gave me a funny image in my mind of parking the vehicle on a roller of some form that spins the wheels to generate onboard electricity via the regen system... It would work... but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be an ideal solution!

As for inductive charging, I like the idea, but I also like the idea of as few losses as possible, these cars already seem to loose a substantial amount between the wall and the wheels (some people report an extra 20%+ electric use at the wall outlet vs what the car reports used while driving) i'd hate to make it any worse.

I think for the time being it would be better to put energy in to better wired solutions, things like an auto-ejecting charge port on the car coupled with a ceiling mounted HPWC, or some of the more exotic examples like the whole car docking cradle mentioned above where you touch your bumper to a charge port, or even some form of track system on the garage floor that would reach up and touch a connector. I'm sure a company that came up with an automated battery swap could also come up with some form of automatic charge connector.

But really now: The technology exists as of today, but the reason it's not wide spread is that it's not as useful as people think. In my book it's kind of a solution looking for a problem.

I don't think so. Whst it needs is:
- Mainstream electric cars
- Autopilot
Then the convenience factor will take over.
Without autopilot you have to park right.
Value of wireless charging for:
- taxi ranks: car has to keep moving, but may be in the rank for a while.
- on-street residential parking: can bury charger, avoiding easy cable vandalism.
- snowy lots: buried chargers allow for easier plowing,
- space-limitation: without cables you can have relatively tight parking and encourage accurate parking.