Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless/inductive charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@green1 Those kind of things already exist. Look. And again its called inductive charging. Just imagine such a moving cradle underneath your car(in x,y,z direction) that closes the gap to zero. Same as wiring only automatic.
like a very tiny crane moving underneath your car, sensing automatically the field and docking onto the pad in the street. those receiver coils can be small and lightweight(like 5kg)
A self driving aligning system can be realized additionaly very easily(especially with an e-car). Think of park assistant.

Last edited by a moderator:
What’s your take on inductive charging using a floor mat charger?

It could be very compelling. I’m very optimistic about where that technology will go. Still the cost and efficiency challenges are the ones that stick out the most. There are a lot of start-ups innovating quickly in this space. Inductive could be a great solution for home and maybe business charging. In the near term it will never do supercharging or high power above about 10 kW, but you don’t really need that at home

(From an interview with JB Straubel).

The cities will only put in the effort if there is demand (an EV on the road that sells like the Accord does now). If Tesla uses a different wireless charging system that Ford and Ford a different one from Nissan it will be problematic. I'd rather cities spend money on improving charging that all cars can use than picking a wireless charging system that only one of the companies use.

This thread has some really good pros and cons on inductive charging. I was wondering if anyone has newer information that has moved your opinion in either direction?

Or, does anyone have first hand experience using inductive charging on a regular basis?

It seems to me that induction is going to be coming at least as an option because 1) it's another accessory they can sell 2) increases convenience and 3) just makes sense when combined with Summon Mode. Is isn't the most efficient method, but it sure is the most convenient. Sales is about overcoming objections. So what if plugging in a car isn't a big deal to you. If people aren't used to it and don't think they could GET used to it, having wireless charging is the answer. I can see the adaptive air suspension dropping the car to a lowest position just like a car on airbags to further decrease the distance traveled from the mat to the car's receiving plate. This would also lower the car to the point that pets wouldn't fit underneath which solves that concern while looking rad.