Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiring loom water ingress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my car alarm started going off for no reason, realiably within a minute or so of locking the car. Every time.
Brought to Tesla and it is, apparently, due to water ingress into the wiring loom.
It will all need to be replaced at a cost of around £1600 (and two weeks waiting for parts during which I can’t lock the car because the alarm will go off EVERY time).

Gotta admit I’m a bit miffed, but on the plus side it’s pretty much solidified my decision not to buy a Model Y…

Indeed and I’ll have to go through the service history but I’m pretty sure the replacement was done at an earlier visit, which is interesting.
The technician claimed he had no knowledge of such a recall.,,

Some were replaced, some were checked then sealed. Off top of my head I think you can fairly easily see if it had been resealed with some black tape around where some wires break out of the harness - look in area of the 12v battery. Your car is definitely of the era of the recall.

Reactions: Adopado
If it was just "resealed" surely there would be some argument to that seal having failed?

Problem is proving that vs a replacement part having been fitted, or equally nothing done at all but you having been told it had.

If repaired or replaced it should be noted on any invoices so depending on how many times car has been to a service centre should be fairly easy to check as they are (were?) all available in the app. A quick look might give you confidence on how hard to push your point of view.

If repaired or replaced it should be noted on any invoices so depending on how many times car has been to a service centre should be fairly easy to check as they are (were?) all available in the app. A quick look might give you confidence on how hard to push your point of view.
Found it. Done on a visit on the 28th of January 2021

“Carried out harness rework as required.

Correction: Inspect Connector, Apply Dielectric Paste, And Seal CAN Splices”

Looks like they just sealed it…

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
So my car alarm started going off for no reason, realiably within a minute or so of locking the car. Every time.
Brought to Tesla and it is, apparently, due to water ingress into the wiring loom.
It will all need to be replaced at a cost of around £1600 (and two weeks waiting for parts during which I can’t lock the car because the alarm will go off EVERY time).

Gotta admit I’m a bit miffed, but on the plus side it’s pretty much solidified my decision not to buy a Model Y…
So is your car out of warrentee then?

Is it? I know there was an issue but i don't recall the alarm being involved. It was the whole car stopping. This could be a completely different issue
If the superb technicians at Tesla have used their training, experience and expertise to diagnose water ingress then there can be no possible doubt. To suggest otherwise is a slur on their professionalism and the professionalism of the whole company.

Equally, the suggestion that any employee of Tesla might occasionally speak through their fundamental orifice is actionable and should be punished by the culprits being forced to listen to Musk’s podcasts on permanent repeat, 24 hours a day.

If the superb technicians at Tesla have used their training, experience and expertise to diagnose water ingress then there can be no possible doubt. To suggest otherwise is a slur on their professionalism and the professionalism of the whole company.

Equally, the suggestion that any employee of Tesla might occasionally speak through their fundamental orifice is actionable and should be punished by the culprits being forced to listen to Musk’s podcasts on permanent repeat, 24 hours a day.
I was not saying it is not water ingress I am saying it may be in a different place. The original issue as I recall ( see what I did there) was supposedly due to the changes to RHD. they put a connector somewhere that it got wet and it was not well enough sealed. There are a lot of connectors on a wiring harness this could be a different connector in a different place. all it takes is one faulty or missing connector block seal...

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro