Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wisconsin Supercharger Discussion & Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Islandbayy -- You should use a LOT less energy driving at 55 rather than 65 -- at least that is true when temperatures are not so extremely cold. Since you are galavanting around the state for us, would be curious to see your experience with that if you want to try? In October I drove Madison to Minneapolis - drove 70mph on the way up and stopped at Jellystone to charge for 1.5 hours to make it. On the way home I set the cruise at 55 as soon as I was on the interstate and drove the 300 miles without stopping, still with ~30 "in the tank" when I got home. The drive took about 45 minutes longer at the lower speed, but since I didn't have the stop-to-charge time, it was net faster.

300 miles? You must have had a tailwind too. The thing that matters most is airspeed rather than groundspeed.

In Onalaska right now. I have 3 videos coming. I will need feedback on the second as its part of a new website I have started :) I also got a close up shot of the supercharger with one of the insides through a cooling grate.

Charge speeds are great, at 35 miles-ish on my car charging immediately started at 105 kW. it heled that for about 15-20 miles, I now have 137 miles, charge rate is currently 44 kW. so 44 kW at 70% battery charge. 31 kW gained in 10 minutes possibly 15 less then 15 more than 10.

I am going to see what effect -30 with -58 wind chill has on the car and charging. Both at a supercharger, and at a 14-50. I have a feeling with the 14-50, the car is going to struggle a bit with the pack warmer to keep the batteries warm.

The battery heater is only 3.3 kW, so that leaves 6.3 kW for charging - once the battery is warm enough to accept that much.

Unless you find a way to make the battery warmer than the heater does, my prediction is that the supercharger will max out at 30 kW - the same as the regen limit.

The battery heater is only 3.3 kW, so that leaves 6.3 kW for charging - once the battery is warm enough to accept that much.

Unless you find a way to make the battery warmer than the heater does, my prediction is that the supercharger will max out at 30 kW - the same as the regen limit.

Just the act of supercharging alone heats things up.

Today in Onalaska, the breeze coming out of the supercharger cabinet was about 65 degrees F with outside temps at around 25. It just compounds on itself. though, I still may be surprised by what effect the cold has.

Just the act of supercharging alone heats things up.

Today in Onalaska, the breeze coming out of the supercharger cabinet was about 65 degrees F with outside temps at around 25. It just compounds on itself. though, I still may be surprised by what effect the cold has.

Another thing that I do is to use the App to turn on climate control with the temp set at 79˚ F. If you are range charging, just remember to turn it back on every 30 minutes after the auto-off function. Storing more heat in the car's interior can mean leaving climate control off for a while when you start driving instead of using batter energy to warm it up. Also, it seems that when you warm the interior on shore power, the battery is warmed more than the minimum needed to charge well.

Wow, you really get around, even charged in Michigan Superchargers already??? Where the heck do you go???

Seems little odd, just about everyone I meet that does insane mileage, seems to have the 60kW battery.... :) I like it. Lets show those 85's who's boss ^_^

You can read about it here: Minneapolis-to-Toronto-(and-back)

60 kWh pack is more than enough for road trips. Only reason to get an 85 kWh pack is when you want the performance of the P85.
saw that right after posting. I just got invited to Niagara Falls by a historian to film a YouTube video documentary. It will be in Nicola Tesla's very first power plant, the historian will be my guide, and it will incorporate his history, and the will lead up to current Elon Musk's Tesla Motors :) so I will be reproducing part of your trip to get NF

Yah, the Electrical Inspector pulled up when I was charging, talked for a wee bit. He never saw a Model S before :) Also recommended Manny's.

Tip: order some of the jalapeño pickled carrots as a nice side to the complimentary homemade salsa and chips with a happy hour margarita (half price) or $2 domestic. They have free wifi also which you can probably pull from the charging stalls if the wind is blowing that direction. :smile: