Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With current Warranty restrictions is anyone thinking of buying used MS from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im trying to understand what kind of deal someone is getting after paying 55k plus tax for used car without any warranty left.

And im talking about car ordered directly from Tesla.

Example :

100D from 2017 cost almost 60k.
Original warranty expires soon, Feb 2020.

I understand Tesla is giving additional 1 year or 10k warranty but that is basically nothing.

If someone is buying Exotic Luxury sports car for just fun, with intention of doing only few miles per year (maserati...) i can understand that.
But many MS owners are driving usually way more then 10k/year and i dont consider MS Exotic Luxury sports car .

Then why limit miles on warranty to only 10k ?

And if its true new owner of Tesla used vehicle can not even purchase Tesla extended service agreement then i dont know what kind of deal someone is getting purchasing used Tesla?

Its better to add 7-9k more and buy new one, get 4 years warranty and be able to extend it for next 4 years.

Or maybe there is something i dont get it right?

Tesla doesn’t care at all if their used cars are of significant value. They sell new cars, and it’s really all they’re interested in.

The market will determine the value of the used ones.

As for me, based on my ownership experience, I’d not hesitate to buy a used Model S with relatively little factory warranty remaining. It’s been one of the most reliable cars I’ve ever had, and in 115,000 miles my out of pocket repairs have been less than $400.

Tesla doesn’t care at all if their used cars are of significant value. They sell new cars, and it’s really all they’re interested in.

The market will determine the value of the used ones.

As for me, based on my ownership experience, I’d not hesitate to buy a used Model S with relatively little factory warranty remaining. It’s been one of the most reliable cars I’ve ever had, and in 115,000 miles my out of pocket repairs have been less than $400.

You are right,

And good to hear about your car reliability.
However i read hear from others they would never own Tesla out of warranty.

Reactions: Lubestaff
The market still hasn't corrected for the drop in warranty and the MSRP drop.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Prices of many used Tesla MS inventory cars have notably dropped e.g., 2017 MS 100Ds that had asking prices of around $60k to $65k a month ago are now priced $8k to $10k less today.

A 2017 MS 100D, like the one below, can be had for close to $30k less than a new one in black with FSD. This particular one was priced $8k higher a month ago and even higher still before that.
2017 Model S | Tesla

Reactions: Saabstory88
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Prices of many used Tesla MS inventory cars have notably dropped e.g., 2017 MS 100Ds that had asking prices of around $60k to $65k a month ago are now priced $8k to $10k less today.

A 2017 MS 100D, like the one below, can be had for close to $30k less than a new one in black with FSD. This particular one was priced $8k higher a month ago and even higher still before that.
2017 Model S | Tesla

It would be excellent deal if not already out of warranty with 51k miles.
1 year of extra warranty and without of possibility to extend it is simply not enough

If a warranty is worth an additional $30,000 to you, you should obviously be buying new.

Not sure where the $30k difference is coming from. The 2017 100D with 51k linked is $53,600 and a new LR+ is $79,420 if you get FSD (good grief that's an expensive option now). Still, a $26k gap represents a 33% drop in value over almost 4 years (it is a March '17 car). The value of the newer car is not just the warranty, but better range, suspension, MCU2, and obviously everything will be new. For someone who doesn't really value FSD that much, the value proposition becomes a no brainer to buy new with only a $16k difference IMO. It doesn't seem like Tesla sells any used cars without FSD.

I bought a 75s oct 2027 used right before the change. I can honestly say I wouldn’t have purchased that car a week later with a 1 year 10k. I got the 4 year 50k warranty with it. I know 2017s are much improved but the 4 years used car warranty helps ease the worry some. Probably a 4K value

It would be excellent deal if not already out of warranty with 51k miles.
1 year of extra warranty and without of possibility to extend it is simply not enough
Tesla also has used 2017 MS 100Ds with under 50k miles for only a bit more. As far as extended warranties go, Xcelerate Auto is a third party company that offers service contracts ("X-Care") on Teslas. I imagine you could get a 4/50 contract through them on an MS for around $5k.

Lots of, “deals” are what people share as showroom cars and such. Those have already been priced in for majority of the cars.

List price is what you pay. Don’t like it? Don’t buy it. Tesla is not a traditional car manufacture and you’re buying direct versus a dealership. That accounts for part of it.

I recently came across a 2016 P100DL, warranty to Feb2020 then the additional starts for Feb2021. Pricing was fair, not amazing but still a price I’m happy to make a deal on.

Pulled the trigger and am now a happy owner. My situation is not common, but I wanted something to replace a RRS for a year or so until I get the CyberTruck. Timing, it should work out for me and it’s truly situational depending on buyer.

Reactions: OVB1
The problem is many people like my self don`t need FSD so paying 10k more for used car is waste.
Second thing 80% of this cars are AP 2.0 so to upgrade to AP 2.5 cost additional 2.5k.

Which brings total of $63k for used car - year 2017. Plus shipping and reservation cost.

Then we come to at least $ 65K.

And new car is just 4k more .

Then pay extra third party warranty 5K and we have 2017 car COSTING MORE then new one!

I understand Tesla is not into used car business but why then even bother with this, just sell new cars and then leave used cars to someone else (vroom)

Im trying to understand what kind of deal someone is getting after paying 55k plus tax for used car without any warranty left.

And im talking about car ordered directly from Tesla.

Example :

100D from 2017 cost almost 60k.
Original warranty expires soon, Feb 2020.

I understand Tesla is giving additional 1 year or 10k warranty but that is basically nothing.

If someone is buying Exotic Luxury sports car for just fun, with intention of doing only few miles per year (maserati...) i can understand that.
But many MS owners are driving usually way more then 10k/year and i dont consider MS Exotic Luxury sports car .

Then why limit miles on warranty to only 10k ?

And if its true new owner of Tesla used vehicle can not even purchase Tesla extended service agreement then i dont know what kind of deal someone is getting purchasing used Tesla?

Its better to add 7-9k more and buy new one, get 4 years warranty and be able to extend it for next 4 years.

Or maybe there is something i dont get it right?

One year for CPO seems to be pretty normal, however, the mileage restriction is the differentiator. I've never driven anywhere near 10k miles in a year, so that seems like a lot to me. How much do you drive per year?

Maserati is guaranteed to break down and cost thousands.

Tesla can be hit or miss. I don't think you'll get anywhere close to a Maserati repair bill with a Model S out of warranty.

That's a bold claim considering that Tesla has a single part that could cost tens of thousands of dollars to replace out-of-warranty.

One year for CPO seems to be pretty normal, however, the mileage restriction is the differentiator. I've never driven anywhere near 10k miles in a year, so that seems like a lot to me. How much do you drive per year?
Tesla doesn't sell CPO cars. They sell used cars with 1-year warranties.

That's a bold claim considering that Tesla has a single part that could cost tens of thousands of dollars to replace out-of-warranty.

But we aren't talking about the battery warranty, as it has it's own 8-year unlimited mileage warranty, and that has never change before or after the current used car warranty change. (At least on these older cars. Newer ones are covered for 8-year or 150k miles.)

But we aren't talking about the battery warranty, as it has it's own 8-year unlimited mileage warranty, and that has never change before or after the current used car warranty change. (At least on these older cars. Newer ones are covered for 8-year or 150k miles.)
The statement made was "out-of-warranty" not "out-of-warranty other than the battery & motor warranty" which isn't what is being talked about.