Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won't gamble with firmware updates any more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are absolutely correct and that is my point. I had turned off wifi to disable updates to make sure I didn't end up with V9. I turned wifi back on and music came back. I don't know what wifi has to do with music unless they sent a music update while I was disconnected. I will resist V9 as long as I can, but if I have to have the car worked on, or as if you say, I loose other things I need, then I will have to update. If they haven't fixed V9 for AP1 by then, I will be really pissed off. If Tesla " leaves our cars behind" as P100D-me said, then I can know longer trust Tesla, and will reluctantly have to buy something else when the time comes.
Hence I'm awaiting the competition, specifically Audi etron and Porsche Taycan. When ready to switch, will definitely consider a Tesla, but in their current state they will not compete well.

That's why I said I hope they can update our cars as individual types of cars and not as all Teslas. V9 seems to have been sent to all Teslas, as if one size fits all, even though the hardware is very different, and as far as AP1 cars, Tesla just screwed us all, as far as I'm concerned. I'm a Contractor and not techy at all, but do the rest of you know if Tesla has the ability to send OTA to different types of Teslas, as in AP1 cars, vs AP2, vs M3?
Tesla has the ability to target updates to groups of cars by model, trim, VIN and some options. They can even target a specific car. But that is not the problem, they just don't want to release multiple versions of the software. They want to release one version for all cars to minimize the effort of writing, testing, and maintaining the software. Each time there is a bug, they want only one place to fix (and test) it, not 10 different places. I work in software development and am painfully familiar with the headaches of supporting multiple versions of software. On the security side, there are bugs coming in every week, having 10 different softwares to patch and test is almost 10x the work as compared to a single "uber" version. There are way to mitigate this by identifying and maintaining shared piece of code used by all 10 software for example, but that is also work and requires much more meticulous design process than Tesla appears to have today. Besides work, such processes also tend to slow down development, which is not compatible with Tesla's "ship it now, fix it later" approach.

WX Thanks for the info. That''s is what I thought. I suggest to Tesla that they beef up their software dept to be able support all the versions of hardware they put out. I didn't buy my car with the crippled functionality of V9, and never agreed to accept it. Cars aren't items that we change like underware. IMO they would be better off not having OTA updates if they are only going to support the latest configuration and let the rest suffer the consequences. What you buy is what you get would be better. If they want to be advanced techy then they need to pay for and provide the proper support across the spectrum. Hopefully they will fix this. We will see.

I just got a message to update my 2014 AP1 car. What’s so bad about V9?
Some people like it, some people don't. You can easily find threads detailing what people don't like on here, but not so many otherwise. There are some things I don't like about V9, and I've posted about them too, but overall I see it as an improvement, and in the order of being positive I'll list a few things I like.
  • I like the contrast in maps better, easier to pick out traffic with a quick glance.
  • I like the sliding interface, it feels more natural to me.
  • After they updated the climate controls to be on one pane, it's nicer than V8 as you can see your nav stuff while adjusting it (although the first iteration was sort of a pain when you had to switch between hvac and seats).
  • I like the additions to mobile app controls
  • Camera features(TeslaCam, Sentry), NoA, browser upgrades and other new features (but some of these aren't relevant to AP1)
  • There's more I might add later but I'm late to meet my friends for bar trivia :D

Some people like it, some people don't. You can easily find threads detailing what people don't like on here, but not so many otherwise. There are some things I don't like about V9, and I've posted about them too, but overall I see it as an improvement, and in the order of being positive I'll list a few things I like.
  • I like the contrast in maps better, easier to pick out traffic with a quick glance.
  • I like the sliding interface, it feels more natural to me.
  • After they updated the climate controls to be on one pane, it's nicer than V8 as you can see your nav stuff while adjusting it (although the first iteration was sort of a pain when you had to switch between hvac and seats).
  • I like the additions to mobile app controls
  • Camera features(TeslaCam, Sentry), NoA, browser upgrades and other new features (but some of these aren't relevant to AP1)
  • There's more I might add later but I'm late to meet my friends for bar trivia :D
2018.50.6 is what I’m on now. I guess I’ll hold off for a bit to see if V9 gets sorted out.

Nothing. It's just different and some people don't like different. Some things are a bit more difficult to use but many more things are easier to use.

I bought a Tesla because it is constantly being improved and changed. If I don't like something enough to voice my opinion about it and enough people are in agreement with me, it often gets changed. It may not get changed to exactly the way I want it, but at least it gets changed.

Try that with GM, Ford, Daimler, or well ANYONE ELSE. Talk to brick walls often?

Reactions: jdjeff88
I see beta testers...

The whole computer using world are beta testers at the end of the day ...

I really do wish there were release notes and the ability to update on demand (or at least stash your update card until such a time that you might want to use it). The way it runs now, while it makes a lot of sense from their management end of things, but it can be super frustrating for the end-users.

Reactions: Sandollars
I just figured that. Sorry brand new to Tesla. What the hell update am I getting now?
Haha, you ARE new to Tesla ;)

There is no real way to know what you are getting. You can get some idea from these threads, but it varies by location and the model of car you have, its age and equipment.

The number you receive is sorta the date it was produced and released to testing (which, at Tesla, has a meaning all its own). The year, obviously, followed by the week of the year, and then corrections to things they screwed up are indicated by the last number.

Right now people seem to be getting 2019.8.x and 2019.12.x.

All are v9 still.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado
Haha, you ARE new to Tesla ;)

There is no real way to know what you are getting. You can get some idea from these threads, but it varies by location and the model of car you have, its age and equipment.

The number you receive is sorta the date it was produced and released to testing (which, at Tesla, has a meaning all its own). The year, obviously, followed by the week of the year, and then corrections to things they screwed up are indicated by the last number.

Right now people seem to be getting 2019.8.x and 2019.12.x.

All are v9 still.
Lol, gotcha. I guess I’ll update and see what happens.

Reactions: BerTX
The map is all gray now. hard to read.
Also, they took away green lines indicting normal traffic flow. If a road is closed, as opposed to being congested, you have no idea from the map.
Climate controls are awful now. No flexibility. Can't turn off AC without going into full manual mode
Winter driving controls (heat for steering wheel, wipers, etc.) now buried in a submenu within climate control. Extra button pushes with longer eyes-off-the-road time.
In general, they moved several controls/selections to the bottom of the screen, so more eyes-off-the-road time.

IMO, V9 is the worst UI we've ever had.

Reactions: Knightowl
The problem is when bugs are reported to Tesla via the service centres they will tell you that the factory knows and they are working on a fix, sometimes that fix never comes, other times it sort of fixes the issues and to put a positive spin on it sometimes the problems are fixed.
Tracking bugs might might you feel like you are contributing but I am not sure those working on the software would take any notice.

The problem is when bugs are reported to Tesla via the service centres they will tell you that the factory knows and they are working on a fix, sometimes that fix never comes, other times it sort of fixes the issues and to put a positive spin on it sometimes the problems are fixed.
Tracking bugs might might you feel like you are contributing but I am not sure those working on the software would take any notice.
The idea was more to provide a source of information for owners as to what versions had what bugs and how long things were taking to get fixed. The only thing I can distinctly recall being addressed to any degree, though, is the rear view camera issue. Hence the comment about only increasing frustration.
Otherwise, I completely agree. Complaining at the service center is pointless. I believe the bug report system in the car is also pointless (and honestly it only actually accepts the command about half the time at best). Only the executive escalation through the web by what was probably thousands of people yielded any results.