Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It isn't easy to admit you're wrong, but sometimes it is necessary.

Dude, you really need to just completely ignore anyone who says this is wrong or ruins anything. I mean that genuinely, and literally. That is their opinion, and they are certainly entitled to it. So the f what? You did a magnificent job of this. Even if you get 100,000 people who hate it, why give a s**t? That’s their problem, not yours. Just let those of us you appreciate your work do so. Really, really, really, don’t mention or think about those a-holes again. You do not answer to them, and the vast majority of people here will appreciate this, even if they do not want it. Only a few butt-heads will criticize, all for reasons that make no sense. Keep posting what you have accomplished. And, most importantly… thank you!!! Heck, I may do this or not. I may like this or not. Whatever. Haters should never be mentioned or referenced to.
Keep going friend! Amazing work!!!

Dude, you really need to just completely ignore anyone who says this is wrong or ruins anything. I mean that genuinely, and literally. That is their opinion, and they are certainly entitled to it. So the f what? You did a magnificent job of this. Even if you get 100,000 people who hate it, why give a s**t? That’s their problem, not yours. Just let those of us you appreciate your work do so. Really, really, really, don’t mention or think about those a-holes again. You do not answer to them, and the vast majority of people here will appreciate this, even if they do not want it. Only a few butt-heads will criticize, all for reasons that make no sense. Keep posting what you have accomplished. And, most importantly… thank you!!! Heck, I may do this or not. I may like this or not. Whatever. Haters should never be mentioned or referenced to.
Keep going friend! Amazing work!!!
All good, friend. I was just having fun at the expense of some zealots. I'm not gonna stop working on things, ever. :)

That’s an annoying and hilarious video the same time.

As a long time Tesla owner with two Teslas, I’m going through some soul searching as to what will I replace my 2013 S60 with.

After much YouTubing reviews of various EVs, I’m leaning towards a used 100D or a P100D. 😏
TBH I am guessing that they will make the level of duck adjustable in the future, but /shrug. If you do end up buying a new one, I will say that the car itself is great (though the LR is a much better way to go than the Plaid on pure value), and adding stalks is almost trivial.

When I have more time (and timeline-wise probably not until the holidays), I am going to make the yoke buttons programmable to do other things, and hopefully I'll figure out how to tone down the duck.

This morning, I'll finally get a chance to try the drive selector stalk! I hope to provide a more meaningful update to the github repo this week as well, so that people can start DIYing to their hearts' content.

Some people on twitter are very very cross with me for "ruining" my car and its perfect aesthetics with stalks. Meanwhile, this is approximately what it looks like from the pilot's chair...

View attachment 720913
Absolutely brilliant work! I would be so happy to put stalks in mine. Almost a month of driving mine and I still wish it had stalks. I hope this becomes a real option to swap out.

TBH I am guessing that they will make the level of duck adjustable in the future, but /shrug. If you do end up buying a new one, I will say that the car itself is great (though the LR is a much better way to go than the Plaid on pure value), and adding stalks is almost trivial.

When I have more time (and timeline-wise probably not until the holidays), I am going to make the yoke buttons programmable to do other things, and hopefully I'll figure out how to tone down the duck.
I’m really waiting for EA and the cars to get their charging issues sorted out. Then, either the EQS or the Lucid Air might be my choice.

Until then, I need a big, comfortable long range cruiser with no charging issues. Tesla’s supercharger network is genius. Never once had any serious issue (or even minor issue) with them since 2013, when there were only 4 chargers.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz

I am sure glad that minds like yours exist in this world. I’m sure wherever you work they are thrilled to have you, assuming you’re not the CEO/President. 😌 Any thoughts of making the horn more manageable. I’ve already encountered 3 situations where the existing set up is useless.

Reactions: McQ14 and rhuber
I am sure glad that minds like yours exist in this world. I’m sure wherever you work they are thrilled to have you, assuming you’re not the CEO/President. 😌 Any thoughts of making the horn more manageable. I’ve already encountered 3 situations where the existing set up is useless.
Bad news on that front.

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 11.25.38 AM.png

Also, I was playing with the yoke's LIN bus yesterday and it seems possible to detect hard presses of the airbag module without physical mods, but it is going to take a while to confirm if that is reliable, so that my car isn't randomly or constantly honking when I hit a bump.

Also I figured out how to make the haptics even more annoying:

Also, I was playing with the yoke's LIN bus yesterday and it seems possible to detect hard presses of the airbag module without physical mods, but it is going to take a while to confirm if that is reliable, so that my car isn't randomly or constantly honking when I hit a bump.

Didn't think the haptic "upgrade" was possible. I was mistaken. :eek:

Bad news on that front.

View attachment 723697
We're neighbors! Century City. I know you said you won't help anybody do this, but I'll hunt you down somehow. Creepy?
Anyway, you mentioned writing software. Can you please explain to a dummy like me what that means? Where do you write software and where is it installed? I gather you'll have some step-by-steps later. I am just curious.

Reactions: rhuber

Yes, that haptic audio is a bit annoying but you’ve proven the possibilities are large. As far as the horn, any forward pressure of the yoke should initiate a honk. That would avoid the airbag module all together and should be just the addition of a pressure switch. But, forgive me, I’m just a commercial real estate manager and know not what I speak.

Reactions: 4SUPER9
We're neighbors! Century City. I know you said you won't help anybody do this, but I'll hunt you down somehow. Creepy?
Anyway, you mentioned writing software. Can you please explain to a dummy like me what that means? Where do you write software and where is it installed? I gather you'll have some step-by-steps later. I am just curious.
I might be persuaded to help a few local folks such as yourself. :)

I wrote software that runs on a microcontroller (think Arduino, but not using an arduino hardware-wise) there is a small board that is reading the analog voltage values directly from the stalks and turning those analog values into digital 'positions'. So when I read 1.8 volts, the turn stalk is in the middle (normal resting). when i read > 1.8 but < 2.2, it is in the half-up position. above 2.2v it is fully up. I then take those messages and turn them into CAN bus messages that the car understands, so that it starts blinking the signal.

It sounds complicated, but isn't very. The only tricky part was figuring out which pins/lines I needed to read on the stalk ribbon cables to get the values I needed to read them.

The nice thing about this approach is that nothing in the car is modified. Software updates to the car will work without issue, and the mod is mostly undetectable when you aren't actively using a turn signal or other control that has been added in this fashion. Even then, i highly doubt tesla cares.

I might be persuaded to help a few local folks such as yourself. :)

I wrote software that runs on a microcontroller (think Arduino, but not using an arduino hardware-wise) there is a small board that is reading the analog voltage values directly from the stalks and turning those analog values into digital 'positions'. So when I read 1.8 volts, the turn stalk is in the middle (normal resting). when i read > 1.8 but < 2.2, it is in the half-up position. above 2.2v it is fully up. I then take those messages and turn them into CAN bus messages that the car understands, so that it starts blinking the signal.

It sounds complicated, but isn't very. The only tricky part was figuring out which pins/lines I needed to read on the stalk ribbon cables to get the values I needed to read them.

The nice thing about this approach is that nothing in the car is modified. Software updates to the car will work without issue, and the mod is mostly undetectable when you aren't actively using a turn signal or other control that has been added in this fashion. Even then, i highly doubt tesla cares.
Make a package and ship a kit to me. I've got my paypal on standby. 💰

Make a package and ship a kit to me. I've got my paypal on standby. 💰
I'm talking to a few folks who are probably going to do this going forward. Unfortunately, I just don't have time to support/handle this myself, but I am certain it will be available as a kit or at least my instructions should be clear enough that anyone can do it with some minor assistance.

Also if folks want to order a few of the pieces I've finally put the initial BOM (bill of materials) on the github site. So far, this just gets you the connections you'll need to wire things in without modifying any of the stock harnesses/etc. Worth having these on hand, as the parts for this won't likely change and some can have long lead times: