Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there is going to be a huge aftermarket demand for a stalk kit once the masses have to deal with the POS design the stalkless cluster truck is that Elon foisted upon us S and X owners. Can't hide from the horde of likely pissed off 3/Y owners on this one.
Tesla is missing out on money here too. They could create a stupid problem to have and then offer the solution themselves and make more money.

Is there any reason why Tesla simply couldn't offer this as a service center paid 'upgrade'?
That would imply that Elon/Tesla made a mistake and that the change was purely for cost reasons and not for improved functionality. I'm still shocked that they reversed course on the stupid yoke. A rare admission......

They are definitely missing out on sales because of this. My wife is interested in upgrading her 2018 MS but won't because of the lack of stalks. She says she will hold onto her current car as long as she can.

That would imply that Elon/Tesla made a mistake and that the change was purely for cost reasons and not for improved functionality. I'm still shocked that they reversed course on the stupid yoke. A rare admission......

They are definitely missing out on sales because of this. My wife is interested in upgrading her 2018 MS but won't because of the lack of stalks. She says she will hold onto her current car as long as she can.
And the horn too. It really is baffling to me. So make it a paid option. Surely it wouldn't cost them $500 too add stalks back. Might slow down production so if it's something a service center can do, make it something installed after the sale.

And the horn too. It really is baffling to me. So make it a paid option. Surely it wouldn't cost them $500 too add stalks back. Might slow down production so if it's something a service center can do, make it something installed after the sale.
So true--so much brilliance in the cars, yet so much stupidity from what must be Elon's video game playing ideas after midnight . . . flat out crazy.

Reactions: dsm363
Via 😲 S3XY Stalks coming mid 2024
Looks like "S3XY Buttons" will be able to do gear change + they are 'soon' coming out with stalks:

Hey everyone!

As most of you have seen, the new Model 3 Highland is available for pre-order in Europe and Asia, and to no surprise, it does not have any stalks for:

❌ blinkers
❌ headlights
❌ wipers
❌ gear shifting

Tesla took this approach after testing their Model S and X 2021+ on customers, and with this done they are able to save some money from the hardware and make the car cheaper.

Unfortunately, many people are not too happy to see this change...

But that's where we come in. 😏
During the last 3 months, we had a side project...

Part of the team worked on it with members of the Tesla community and we were able to replicate the signals for all of the above actions and integrate them into commands sent from the stalks to the canbus. That way, people from our Beta group with the yoke were able to have their stalks back and use them in real-life scenarios.

So now that the proof of concept is there, we will start thinking of a way to create the hardware for it.

We already found a good partner that can help us with that so hopefully in the next month we can have our first official prototype in-house and see how much more work we need to put into it.

However, until then, everyone who owns the model S/X with the yoke steering wheel or will receive their new Model 3 Highland, will be able to use the S3XY Buttons for all of the functions the stalks can do. 😉

And in a month or so the S3XY Buttons will be able to do gear-shifting as well, so the setup will be complete.
All of you who are waiting for your suggested features to be implemented in the current Commander or the S3XY Buttons, we have not forgotten about you.

We are creators at heart and we might get carried away a bit when new opportunities present themselves, but we will never leave our wonderful community behind.

We are super happy to announce that after 2 months of searching, we were able to find the right people to join our small team, so soon after they're all caught up, we will be able to push updates more regularly. So please be patient with us and know that everything we do is for you guys. ❤️

As always, if you have any questions or you want to share your thoughts with us, feel free to join our community on Discord. There are a ton of great people in there and everyone is very helpful, so it is a good place to be.
Stay tuned! A lot of exciting things are coming! 😎

Best Regards,
Enhance Team

The look like they will work well.

I just soldered wires from the S3xy buttons directly to the Tesla controller board. (Indicator side).
On the gear selector side. I used two microswitches. I can take better pictures today. It's a fast and easy job.
Can the S3XY buttons already be configured for turn signals, high beams, and windshield wipes? Do you need their “commander” box for those functions?

Last edited:
Can the S3XY buttons already be configured for turn signals, high beams, and windshield wipes? Do you need their “commander” box for those functions?

Yes you can do turn signals, high beams, and wipers from the S3XY Buttons system. They might work a little differently from how physical controls work (for example the turn signals are push-on push-off, there isn't an equivalent to lightly pressing the turn signal stalk).

Yes you need the Commander box. That's the thing that sends the commands on the CAN bus(ses).

Just for grins I put four buttons on the sides of the steering column on my Palladium Model X, two for turn signals and two for gear selection. That setup is not much better than the stock controls (and I didn't expect them to be), but at least I could see that the Commander sends the right signals to the car.

A few days ago, I asked on the Enhance Auto Discord about the state of the S3XY Stalks and the answer I got is that they're still in development.

Bruce.

I just soldered wires from the S3xy buttons directly to the Tesla controller board. (Indicator side).
On the gear selector side. I used two microswitches. I can take better pictures today. It's a fast and easy job.
This is a project I would love to tackle, at least until Enhauto can complete their work. The more detailed information you can give, the better!

This is a project I would love to tackle, at least until Enhauto can complete their work. The more detailed information you can give, the better!
Same here! I already have all the Tesla hardware from a Model 3/Y (turn signal stall, gear lever stalk, steering column covers) and just need to get the right S3XY buttons package.

Should I get the 6-pack of buttons to have left turn signal, right turn signal, wipers, high beams, drive, and reverse?

Im doing a write up now. Sadly I didn't take more pictures while doing this. But it's easy. Finishing tonight.
The "new" stalks actually works better? I only use one function on each button. That makes the response time better.
now I got "3" blink indication etc. So roundabouts isn't a problem anymore.
Because Tesla have a lot og data on their Lin bus network. Regular stalks on model 3 and stalk less cars dont always work if your not "holding it". That's not a problem with these buttons.

Reactions: 4SUPER9