Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worried about round trip distance in the cold, please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind that even if the destination charger can't add much charge in the time you're there
  • charging will keep your battery warm(er)
  • you won't suffer any loss, at least
  • you can heat your car up nice and toasty before you head back, giving you a head start on cabin heating

Mine is the Blue one, its a 2017 so has the new front bumper. 75D

I've seen a silver one in mentor as well. You in this area?
I’m in Mentor. I picked up my blue 75D the day after Christmas. It finally got warm enough that I could finish polishing and ceramic coating it on Monday. Now that it is fully cured, you may start seeing another blue 2017 around.

Rent an ICE for this trip. They are wonderful in winter producing excess heat and one rental will not affect your business case for the Tesla.

Just another opinion for your consideration.

I totally agree. Of course we try to make things work with out EVs and are willing to make compromises. But sometimes the compromise is getting too much and it's totally fine to use an old school ICE. I'm not familiar with the trip he wants to make, so I can't comment how much of a real world compromise it would be.

Here's another consideration... make it two day trip. Take the Tesla and book a night at a hotel that has a charging station. When we travel using destination chargers I call ahead to book the room and the charger for the same night. It's never a problem and we have priority to recharge the car for the next day's travel. There is no fee for charging as the hotel wants your business.

Slowing the pace of travel has been one of the pleasures of using an EV for touring.

Forget this idea if your Model S does not have winter tires. The risk increases too much in my opinion making a rented ICE with snow tires still preferred.

So I've started the trip. I had 247mi when I left my house. Thanks to suggestions here I am stopping in crocker Park. We did go back to Sandusky versus maumee. I'll let you guys know how I end up. Currently 15 minutes in in averaging 350Wh/hr. Wish me luck lol

Here is the graph of my daily use (left) compared to trip (right) 15158774029178443269880629497349.jpg

Update, made it to crocker Park! Luckily these things have long cords because a lovely mini van is in the Tesla parking spot! SMH. I arrived here with 191mi left on my battery. About 2/3rd the way to here my battery finally was fully warmed up. I averaged 327Wh/hr from my house to here in 15 degrees Fahrenheit. This is exactly half way to our meeting point.

PS. Didn't wanna say it earlier but this is actually a date for me so why I didn't want to show up and be like hey, I need to go charge my car. Overall I think this strategy will work out. I plan to be here for 1hr at crocker before I take off for the rest of the trip. Hopefully can get 20-30mi charge

Success.

So I left crocker with 210mi charge and when I arrived at Sandusky I had around 150mi charge remaining. When I got there I did a quick looking to see what the ride home was and my car thought id make it home with plenty to spare. So I went on with my night, had dinner then we decided to do some things around Sandusky (really isn't much) so I ended up driving to all of these just around the area and I went from 150 to 120mi. Whoops. When I went to leave and put my address in my car told me to stay under 55 and I'll make it. Well, challenge accepted. I started and I set the cruise at 65 defrosted the windows and autopilot on. Once warm, I turned off all the heat and away we went. With heat on at 65 I was averaging 350Wh/mi. When I turned it off I could get down to 294Wh/mi. Long story short, I was cold but made it home with 14mi remaining. It was an adventure and overall I'm still glad I took the model S versus an ice car. Thanks for everyones input hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_20180114_021255.jpg
    IMG_20180114_021255.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 44
I find this story too exciting and not consistent with good risk mitigation. Personally I leave a healthy buffer of battery capacity when planning recharging stops just in case the charging station is broken and I need to find a secondary source. Driving without defrosting capacity (cold interior) is big problem as normal breathing will fog up windows and reduce visibility adding more risk.

It may be a good test to confirm that the car can still be propelled with very low capacity remaining but my plan is to never need that last few miles. I'll stop and charge way before then and make it part of my trip planning.

For many decades we had sailboats which are slow and unable to run for cover when weather changes. We mitigated risk using techniques to reduce sail area and continue the journey in comfort and under control. When we arrived at our destination there was nothing exciting to talk about and to me that is how a passage should be. Same for the Tesla.

Let me know if you would make this trip any differently the next time. Would you still count on only a few miles of capacity remaining to get you home?

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
I find this story too exciting and not consistent with good risk mitigation. Personally I leave a healthy buffer of battery capacity when planning recharging stops just in case the charging station is broken and I need to find a secondary source. Driving without defrosting capacity (cold interior) is big problem as normal breathing will fog up windows and reduce visibility adding more risk.

It may be a good test to confirm that the car can still be propelled with very low capacity remaining but my plan is to never need that last few miles. I'll stop and charge way before then and make it part of my trip planning.

For many decades we had sailboats which are slow and unable to run for cover when weather changes. We mitigated risk using techniques to reduce sail area and continue the journey in comfort and under control. When we arrived at our destination there was nothing exciting to talk about and to me that is how a passage should be. Same for the Tesla.

Let me know if you would make this trip any differently the next time. Would you still count on only a few miles of capacity remaining to get you home?

I was never not comfortable because i know there was a lot of destination chargers along my route. with the Nav it started with i'd have 5% when i got home and as i was driving that number was increasing. It was an experience and i actually feel more comfortable driving the car distance now knowing how it would work.

Did you also use the trip consumption graph?

BF418413-7EB7-429B-84EE-C4E74DF63929.jpeg

While you get a feel for the cars capabilities it may be helpful. I’ve met a lot of Tesla owners in our travels who are unaware that this available. It is pretty conservative I feel but that’s a maybe a good thing again until you get a feel for the car. It may encourage you to manage consumption better at the beginning of the trip rather than the end.