Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worried about service centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Saturday, I drove a M3 and absolutely loved it.

However, in a thread I started recently, someone pointed out problems with service in the Los Angeles area, and suggested that I should check the Yelp ratings on my local service centers. I did.

The reviews are 1 stars and have numerous complaints. It appears to me that Tesla is a victim of its own success. It put many tens of thousands of cars on the road in a short period of time. However, it has no way of servicing them.

In contrast, I called today at about 2:00 p.m. about a repair to my Mercedes. In 2 minutes and 53 seconds, I went from reception to service, made a reservation for repairs, and arranged a ride to my office. I got an appointment for thr next day.

Again, I love the M3, but I hate the idea of being subject to an overworked service facility.

Any thoughts Tesla lovers?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
I love my Tesla Model 3. I had my original service date (scheduled weeks ago) tomorrow in Wexford PA to replace my dash pad that has bubbles in it. Tesla summarily canceled the appointment for unknown reason after chatting with me via SMS and agreeing to order the part. I quickly scheduled the next available appointment which is mobile service a few days after the first appointment as I was worried it woudn't get taken care of since I drive a lot and have logged 36000 miles during my ownership. No big deal really, I can wait a couple more days as I had two weeks off after working for months on end. But, Tesla won't answer their phone, text messages that they send me won't get replies, calls to the service center go unanswered, calls to the main Tesla support number refer me to the app, round and round you go and no human in sight to make sense of it. I have no earthly idea if I should make the 2 hour drive to my original service appointment tomorrow to the service center, or wait for the mobile service to come and tell me they can't fix my problem. I love my Tesla Model 3, I really do, but Tesla service is hard to come by. I know I'll be branded as a heretic by people on this forum, I'm already ignored as posted by others and branded a "whiner", but as a Tesla champion and lover of their cars, their service makes me really sad.

Last edited:
I called today at about 2:00 p.m. about a repair to my Mercedes. In 2 minutes and 53 seconds, I went from reception to service, made a reservation for repairs, and arranged a ride to my office. I got an appointment for thr next day.
I suggest you alter your expectations regarding Tesla Service Centers particularly coming from Mercedes.

Parts availability is also a big problem.

Hopefully, these are growing pains, but only time will tell.

BTW...I have a Service Center appointment in Burbank this week for a dash rattle that occurs primarily when the dash gets warm/hot in the Southern California sun. I'm already accepting that it might be better to live with the rattle than risking more rattles after a technician completely dismantles and re-assembles the dash.

The process of scheduling a service appointment and the fact that it's not possible to talk to a real person at a service center is infuriating, especially when the car is down. Once you get the car in the service center it's pretty good, at least that's been my experience.

And if you think I'm some sort of troll or FUDster, call up the Tesla Service center in Pittsburgh PA (Wexford PA, that's the closest to the major city, that's where it's actually located). I use my real name here, Patrick S Carroll. Have a chat with them and ask them why I haven't gotten my service. Go ahead, I dare you. I double dare you. Here is my VIN# 5YJ3E1EB6JF082642. I doubt the rest of you use your real names. I'm a real person who put down his cold hard cash (well a loan) to purchase a Tesla vehicle and am fed up with Tesla Service.

I schedule service listing the items of concern. I drop the car off and they don't care to go over the items of concern point by point. When I ask for status on the car and what is being done and not done to it, they will only tell me what they are working on and do not want to discuss the issues they don't want to address. If something is considered within spec, they do not tell you what the spec is or how it is measured. If they don't want to do some items, they don't do them forcing you to schedule another service appointment to make them do what they were supposed to do the prior visit... They only put what they did on the repair order, not the work that was requested. i.e. I asked for a rear safety restraint to be looked at after it locked up tighter than a tick on my daughter until I pulled over and helped her get out of it (more than once). Not on the repair order, did they even look at it? Probably not. Communications with service takes days if they feel like answering at all.

I am driving around in an old, dirty, damaged model s loaner right now with tags that expired over 4 months ago... The seats and floorboard were covered in crumbs, toothpicks used and on the floor, etc. Windshield has a crack in it. Mirror skull cap is half torn off on one side. Funny thing is that is it better than the last loaner I got where AC would stop working until you rebooted the MCU, curbed rims with large chunks out of them, and multiple dented body panels.

I am not a fan of Tesla service these days.

Service centers seem overworked as many have pointed out.

Our experience with the Dallas SC was fine (they fixed the suspension creak in our P3 and gave us a P85D loaner for the weekend).

Other than that - had the ranger come out and put on the spoiler. In general - if they can do the repair remotely - then a ranger will come do it at a location of your choosing which is very convenient.

Not car service, but had the HPWC fail last week. Contacted Tesla via the website. Got a response by email the next day requesting additional info. Responded and a new one is on the way.

scheduling via the app is very easy.

Service centers seem overworked as many have pointed out.

Our experience with the Dallas SC was fine (they fixed the suspension creak in our P3 and gave us a P85D loaner for the weekend).

Other than that - had the ranger come out and put on the spoiler. In general - if they can do the repair remotely - then a ranger will come do it at a location of your choosing which is very convenient.

Not car service, but had the HPWC fail last week. Contacted Tesla via the website. Got a response by email the next day requesting additional info. Responded and a new one is on the way.

scheduling via the app is very easy.
Tesla is not a charity. Elon Musk is a BILLIONAIRE.

Scheduling from the App will leave you guessing when your actual appointment is given that Tesla will automatically cancel your appointment and never talk to you about it. There is nobody at Tesla that will talk to you about it, a human at least.

Tesla doesn't answer emails, phone calls, or emails. Trust me, they don't. Give Tesla support a call, I dare you, my real name and VIN number is posted above. Go ahead, give it a try! I dare you!

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
Tesla is not a charity. Elon Musk is a BILLIONAIRE.

Scheduling from the App will leave you guessing when your actual appointment is given that Tesla will automatically cancel your appointment and never talk to you about it. There is nobody at Tesla that will talk to you about it, a human at least.

Tesla doesn't answer emails, phone calls, or emails. Trust me, they don't.

This may be your experience - as I said above - mine has been different.

Reactions: ibGeek
Since the Model 3 doesn't really have any scheduled maintenance this could be a viable strategy! It all depends how lucky you are :D
It just requires a lot of unscheduled maintenance. Like replacement of one camera, then another, then another, then yet another, then the entire computer, then replacement of the entire dash. What's next? Oh sorry, you warranty ran out!

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Who's treated poorly? Tesla completely ignored me, I can't say anything to them. When I have been there I've been pleasant and they have been very nice. Tesla at this point won't answer any for of communication at all. You calling me a rabid dog is just disingenuous. Tesla service SUCKS! Full stop! How about you call them with my VIN number and see if you can figure it out? Just warning all new users that if you purchase a Tesla vehicle you will GET NO SERVICE WHATSOEVER in the Pennsylvania area. Maybe you'll get support elsewhere, who knows? If you don't give a crap then so be it. Why the *&*(^%& do people on here crap on people that have issues with Tesla. is this a community or do people only care about happy stories?

OK, so what you're doing is generalizing all Tesla's service to your bad experience in the Pennsylvania area. My experience hasn't been like that all, over in the Seattle/Bellevue area.

I get you had a bad experience, and I'm sorry you did, but why not sell the car and move on if it's so bad that you post day in/day out about how bad your experience has been?

Don't tell me how to express my issues with Tesla on these forums. Mind your own business.

O... K then. I didn't realize this was your private forum. If you're going to continue to incessantly complain and use bloviated language on a public forum to say things like:

"Just warning all new users that if you purchase a Tesla vehicle you will GET NO SERVICE WHATSOEVER in the Pennsylvania area..."

I'm going to show up - if somebody else hasn't already - and call you on it.

Not in the slightest. Just that your rantings stand out as over the top even by MY low standards.
Then click the ignore button and live in ignorant bliss. I will rant against Tesla poor service all I wish until they fix the problems with my vehicle. And if you want to apologize for Tesla, how about you call Tesla and see if they can fix my problem. Tesla Model 3 Performance, VIN#5YJ3E1EB6JF082642, Version 2019.24.4.4 73fb1ab. I'll give you the phone numbers, Tesla Main Service Number (good luck getting through this number) (888) 518-3752.

Reactions: outdoors
The service experience definitely varies widely across the country. I'm in New England and the service has been good. But I also regularly visit LA, where I see a TON more Teslas on the road. The superchargers always have a line, and service is overwhelmed. People in that area really do need to be aware that the ownership experience is less than ideal in some ways.