Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worried about the future of Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite sure the difference in these charts where BYD is has higher numbers. I don't think NEV is what I thought since Tesla is listed. [ie. Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV) ]

XccwYCU.jpg
The N in NEV does not mean Neighborhood

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I certainly have lost respect for Elon in several regards but appreciate other regards. I'm still keeping/driving my Tesla and have plans for another. No great alternatives especially with the charging network.

Tesla is made up of way way more than just Elon for a while now. Investor Day Presentation was a recent reminder of that. 1000s of very hard working professional across many countries. I can separate the two. I'm not worried about Tesla's future and for the first time am buying some stock directly (vs via mutual funds) for the benefits in 5+ years of growth.

dburkland - Excellent summary and pictures:
Tesla 2023 Investor Day – 2023-03-01​
March 1, 2023 by dburkland​

TeslaTap.COM summary:
  • 2023 Investor Day Highlights
    • NexGen is a vehicle platform for multiple new products that uses a new production process
    • NexGen Drive Unit uses 0 grams rare earth and reduced silicon carbide in inverters for lower cost
    • NexGen Vehicle will have 100% controllers designed in house (2012 MS had 20%)
    • Cybertruck and future vehicles switch to a 48V system instead of 12-16V
    • Goal of NexGen vehicle is 50% cost reduction over the Model 3/Y
    • NexGen vehicle Gigafactory announced to be near Monterrey, Mexico
    • Anonymous vehicle data collected on 123M miles driven daily & 1.9M charge sessions daily
    • During vehicle assembly, the vehicle's computer self tests and validates modules when connected
    • Vehicle diagnostics and related tools now addresses over 33% of customer concerns and orders any necessary parts
    • Tesla has over 30 PB (Peta Bytes) of training video for FSD, growing to 200 PB size
    • Optimus Prime robot is expected to be worth more than vehicle side of Tesla in the future
    • 9 TWh of Charging provided in 2022, with 99.9% site level uptime
    • Opened 10 Supercharger sites in USA with CSS option for non-Tesla vehicles, with more on the way
    • Magic dock Superchargers allows the choice of NACS (Tesla) or CSS connection
    • V4 Superchargers starting to be installed in Europe, which have longer cables
    • > 50 billion electronic components are shipped inbound to support factories and service each year
    • Goal is to produce 40,000 vehicles a week this year
    • Tesla has built over 4M vehicles over the last 12 years
    • In past 6 months, reduced time in service by 11%, and reduced in service appointment wait time by 9%
    • Battery production for future 4680 needs a tenth of the volumetric space as required to produce 2170
    • Tesla building new factories for processing anode and cathode battery materials in Texas
    • Produced over 16 GWh of Energy products (Megapacks and Powerwalls)
    • Tesla now has over 129,000 employees
    • Bi-directional vehicle power expected within the next two years with future production
    • Expect to increase the capability of the neural net training system by a factor of 10 this year
When will the NexGen be introduced? I'm in the market for an S but don't want to buy the car if it is soon to be replaced.

We love our two Teslas (2020 X and 2021 model 3); brother has a model Y. I've tried to convince my fellow boomer buddies to get Teslas (wonderful for seniors). I haven't been successful with my sales pitch. Reasons were expense, (by people who can well afford the car), learning curve (by very bright folks who still have their wits in their 70's), challenges of charging (by people whose homes have no driveway or garage - but only drive 100 miles a week), you name it. But now I'm hearing a new reason which is that they would be embarrassed to drive a Tesla because Elon's behavior: Twitter, January 6 denialism (Tucker Carlson). Whatever your politics, we are all potential Tesla customers and most companies try to stay apolitical to not alienate any customers. I'm posting this because I am worried about the future of the company. Are you?
I fear most EV owners are on the Left of the political spectrum. For a EV company someone like... Hillary Clinton would be a good figurehead, or Obama.
wake up and realize our media lies to us 24-7

I saw politics destroy a wine board I was a major member / participant of several years ago. The forum owner had to create a separate politics sub-forum to let people have at it while not disturbing everyone else. It was as nasty as you might expect. I hope this community doesn’t go the same route.

Turn off MSNBC for 5 minutes and you’ll realize that Elon is more respected by the general population than most political figures. Just because some people’s little bubble of progressives think Elon is now “Hitler” doesn’t mean the average person does.

Tesla is still miles ahead of the competition in terms of manufacturing and infrastructure. Elon is polarizing but at least he tells the truth about what he thinks. I have no problem with him or Tesla and a love my car.

i don’t know what the rules are on this forum, but I hope we can keep the politics out of it. Barely anywhere I can go anymore online where I’m not bombarded with folks’ political positions, etc. Can we just talk cars?
It doesnt matter what your politics are. The fact is the E-guy has taken a bold political stance and that will only hurt sales and the share price. Has the CEO of Ford, GM, BMW etc said such things? No. E has said multiple times he will say what he wants even if it hurts the stock price (and by implication, sales). The only silver lining is that Tesla will start advertising. I suppose that will be aimed at Trumpites.

Turn off MSNBC for 5 minutes and you’ll realize that Elon is more respected by the general population than most political figures. Just because some people’s little bubble of progressives think Elon is now “Hitler” doesn’t mean the average person does.

Tesla is still miles ahead of the competition in terms of manufacturing and infrastructure. Elon is polarizing but at least he tells the truth about what he thinks. I have no problem with him or Tesla and a love my car.
You forgot that Tesla quality totally sucks. So they can be miles ahead with the technology, but if you're getting cars with stuff falling apart, then it's not really great (and I had several Teslas). And I live in Florida, have my entire life. Elon aligning himself with fascists isn't good for business.

Reactions: CleanDemon
My two cents on risks:
  • Getting caught by the competition
  • Designs are beginning to get dated
  • FSD still doesn’t 100% work - he’s betting the farm on this
  • Ongoing quality issues - the big manufacturers, e.g. Ford, may eat his lunch on this
Where I still feel good:
  • Manufacturing and efficiency - Giga factories are light years ahead of competition
  • Batteries - manufacturing, lithium plant, etc.
  • Technology platform - not perfect, but head and shoulders above anything else
  • Supercharger network
  • Cost - 2023 price reductions have opened EVs up to more of the masses
  • Plans for lower cost “M2”
  • Safety - world class

Reactions: Wilber and golfcart
Status
Not open for further replies.