Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth 'upgrading' from 85D pre facelift to a facelift 75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting a Q3 discount from Tesla so by adding an extra little amount, I can change my order from an 85D to a 75D.

What I don't get with the upgrade:
- Next gen seats (my car didn't have them either)
- 80A (get 72A)
- Smart Air suspension (my car didn't have that either)
- Premium upgrade (my current car has parts of it: motorized trunk, fog lights, curve lights)
- 10kwh / 40km penalty on range (is that accurate - heard 75 has 71kwh usable vs 85 has 77kwh? And mine may be close to 75kwh?)
- Reduced acceleration 0 - 100 (Guess I don't care that much about this)

What I get with this upgrade:
- Car with 50km on it (my car has 62000km)
- Facelift
- Better fit and finish (Any comments here?)
- Better wind/sound isolation (Any comments here?)
- Center console

What I can move from my current car to the next:
- Winter tires
- dashcam
- Accessories (Mats, adapters etc.)

Need some help in deciding this out. What would you guys do? That said, I do love my current 85D.

Both are great cars. It looks to me like there are only a couple things you're gaining, none of which look that valuable to me.

If it were my money, given that you already have a modern AP Tesla, I'd probably wait for things to change in the spring/summer, when the new AP hardware and 100D (and maybe 80D or 85D based on the 100D modules?) are available.

But it's not my money, and if upgrading to a new Tesla today would make you happy, it's not a bad thing to do.

I'm getting a Q3 discount from Tesla so by adding an extra little amount, I can change my order from an 85D to a 75D.

- 80A (get 72A)
- Premium upgrade (my current car has parts of it: motorized trunk, fog lights, curve lights)
- 10kwh / 40km penalty on range (is that accurate - heard 75 has 71kwh usable vs 85 has 77kwh? And mine may be close to 75kwh?)

- Facelift
- Center console

- Winter tires
- dashcam

Need some help in deciding this out. What would you guys do? That said, I do love my current 85D.

I'd hold off and upgrade when the differences are more substantial. At the very best you're getting a wash, and arguably downgrading. I can't imagine going from NG to the older style seats. If you're just looking for a change, do a wrap, change the colour, add a centre console and get a really good detailing job done. It will feel like a new car.

If I had a "classic" Tesla, with 2WD, non-AP then I think it would be more of a true upgrade.

Reactions: Saghost
As long as the 85D isn't having any problems, I'd keep it. About the only thing you get which is a real advantage is the center console and you could just buy one of those, either Tesla's or one of the aftermarket options.

I think there might be a price decrease in the S/X in the next 1-2 years. If Tesla doesn't do something to either justify the 2X price, or lower it substantially, the Model 3 will destroy Model S sales. They could get away with a 25% premium for the S, but not 100%.

When the GigaFactory gets fully up to speed, the cost of battery packs will decrease and as they spin up Model 3 production, they will get bigger volume discounts on materials shared among all cars and some of the innovations for the 3 will be going into the S and X. Most likely the S and X will get the same inverter as the 3 and probably the same charging hardware. Some components of the battery packs may be shared too. It would be smart to develop a universal module design and use it across the S and X line with some modifications. The large and small packs share the same modules today, but the small pack has fewer cells.

There will also be things like rolls of sheet aluminum, fasteners, and other generic parts that will be shared across all car lines.

Elon is talking about cost savings from reinventing the factory, which almost certainly will be experimented with on the S and X lines before the M3 is introduced. And they will probably retrofit the S and X lines with innovations in manufacturing they discover setting up the M3 lines.

If they cut their profit in half (about $20K USD today), pass the savings from GF made batteries to the customer, and roll in cost savings from larger scale parts purchases as well as manufacturing improvements, they could get the cost of a decently equipped 90D/100D down from around $100K USD today to around $60K. That would keep the S as the premium model, but not so much more everyone will buy a loaded 3 instead. Existing owners would scream, but maybe they could do something to make the resale drop of their car less painful.

There is also new tech coming like the 100D and possibly another bump in the smaller battery car as well as AP2.

I would wait and see what happens. Tesla might have more incentives next year as the M3 approaches if an Osborne effect starts to kick in.

Hmm, interesting replies. Just spoke to them. They are now offering a sweeter deal with premium interior + air suspension + next gen seats. Have to shell out a little more, but nothing substantial out of the pocket.

What do you guys think now? :p

Hmm, interesting replies. Just spoke to them. They are now offering a sweeter deal with premium interior + air suspension + next gen seats. Have to shell out a little more, but nothing substantial out of the pocket.

Like other said if it was my money, neh no upgrade the 85D is still a great car. Knowing tesla the 75D will be outdated very soon.

So wait it for a more sustantial upgrade.

Btw,
New fascia can be purchased and installed after. There is a thread for it.

Center console can be purchased and installed.

Also the 85D is pretty good in build quality. I hear it is the 2014 or less with build quality issues. So I say you won't see much difference.

I understand there is a big discount but it is like saying:

Hey that laptop is on sale. Must buy! Totally don't need it but must buy because it is on sale!

I use to do that too. Noe I am trying to be more conscious of my choice. But then again it is your money so do what makes feel best.

Thanks for that perspective. Agree with you and sandpiper that this an upgrade really. The 85D has been great so far...

I think you'll eventually be happy by holding off. Within a year there will be other changes that will make for a more decisive reason to swap. I'm going to consider it myself within a year. A 100 battery with the next gen of AP hardware would probably be enough to push me over the edge.

Normally it would not be worth it because you already have a great car that sounds like it meets all your needs and you gain nothing substantial with the 75D. Lots of people don't like air suspension either.

However, because Tesla is discounting some cars so steeply to improve Q3 results, it's possible that you might actually come out money ahead when you eventually trade in the 75D because it will have 61,950:D fewer km than your 85D. Make some assumptions. Do the math.

I have a pre-AP S85 and I would love to do what you're considering but I would need to double the current discount for it to make sense. My end game is the 100D with AP2.0 and I would love to drive an AP AWD in the meantime. My S85 is worth $52K as a trade-in now, maybe $45K in a year. If I spent $20K to upgrade, then the 75D would have to trade in for $65K to break even, which means it would have a $93K current value. I would need a $14K discount + the federal tax credit for the math to work for me.

- 80A (get 72A)

- Facelift
- Center console

- Winter tires
- dashcam

85 battery is 77 kwh usable. Don't know about the 75 cars's usable number.