TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Would a slower motor give more range?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by DRasheed, Oct 17, 2016.

1. DRasheed

DRasheed Member

Not really a big deal but something I've always been curious about. If tesla offered a model S with nothing else changed except that the motor was less powerful, would that improve the range? For example if the motor was only powerful enough to push the car 0-60 in 7 seconds, would that be a more efficient motor? Would you get more range with the same battery? If so, I wonder why Tesla doesn't offer this option.

2. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

Or you could just not push the electron pedal as hard....

3. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

They don't offer it because it basically makes no difference. At most it's a couple of percent. Meanwhile they lose the ability to sell the car as being as cool as it is.

For comparison look at the Zero S and the Zero SR. The second one has a much bigger controller and higher rated motor. It also has exactly the same rated range, and if you software limit the torque of the faster bike to the level of the slower bike you will get exactly the same range in real life as well.

The question comes up sometimes but it's basically a carry over thought from combustion vehicles. There the performance engines are often substantially less efficient.

4. brkaus

brkaus Member

Do the PxxD models have a larger rear motor? Or was it only the RWD models?

5. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Member

"At Tesla, we don't make slow cars"
    -- Elon Musk

• Like x 3
  6. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

I believe the PxxD models have the old P85 rear motor and the D front motor.

7. St Charles

St Charles Member

I'd imagine it depends on the efficiency of the motor rather than the specific output. Though, I am sure they correlate in some way.

8. Gig103

Gig103 Member

Nissan told me that their Leaf "drives like a Sentra" which was probably the worst sales-pitch in history.

You are correct and you can see it on the Model S page under "Electric All-Wheel Drive" by cycling between Dual, P90D, and Single motor.

9. davidc18

davidc18 Member

Interesting data observation: The P90D is averaging lower energy use than our 70D on the same route at the same average speeds.

10. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

For long distance driving, which is where range is really an issue, aerodynamic drag is the dominant factor and is a function of the speed you are driving, irrespective of how quickly you reached that speed. If you want more range, drive slower.

11. brkaus

brkaus Member

I went to a BBQ place that just opened. The lady that was directing people through the door and into the line explained "it works just like Luby's".

I haven't been able to shake the image since...

12. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

The motor gets inefficent at higher RPM, so using gearing to allow it to cruise at motorway speeds in the "high efficiency" zone would help a little bit. I thnk this is more or less what they did with the smaller non-P motor.

13. Topher

Topher Energy Curmudgeon

All the factors involved get multiplied by the efficiency of the drive train. So yes, his question is pertinent.

Thank you kindly.

14. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Weight, Temperature, Drag and Speed are the biggest enemies of EV efficiency. The higher the speed, drag, weight and temperature delta (heating), the worse the range. I think the drive train is about as efficient as they can get it.. they could go to carbon fiber components and reduce weight, but that would get cost prohibitive quickly.

15. mmccord

mmccord Member

My understanding was that P85D have a bigger rear motor than an 85D, but not the same as a P85. The P85 has the same motor as an S85. Source: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1390926/

Oops, mis-interpreted that. Yes, P85 is the same as rear of a P85D, but is also the same as an S85.

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Depends what you mean by slower.

If they were to do anything, I'd want them to lengthen the ratio of the reduction gear. It'd reduce acceleration, but allow the drivetrain to operate at higher efficiency. Part of the Bolt's efficiency comes from its relatively long ratio.