Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would a slower motor give more range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really a big deal but something I've always been curious about. If tesla offered a model S with nothing else changed except that the motor was less powerful, would that improve the range? For example if the motor was only powerful enough to push the car 0-60 in 7 seconds, would that be a more efficient motor? Would you get more range with the same battery? If so, I wonder why Tesla doesn't offer this option.

They don't offer it because it basically makes no difference. At most it's a couple of percent. Meanwhile they lose the ability to sell the car as being as cool as it is.

For comparison look at the Zero S and the Zero SR. The second one has a much bigger controller and higher rated motor. It also has exactly the same rated range, and if you software limit the torque of the faster bike to the level of the slower bike you will get exactly the same range in real life as well.

The question comes up sometimes but it's basically a carry over thought from combustion vehicles. There the performance engines are often substantially less efficient.

Not really a big deal but something I've always been curious about. If tesla offered a model S with nothing else changed except that the motor was less powerful, would that improve the range? For example if the motor was only powerful enough to push the car 0-60 in 7 seconds, would that be a more efficient motor? Would you get more range with the same battery? If so, I wonder why Tesla doesn't offer this option.
For long distance driving, which is where range is really an issue, aerodynamic drag is the dominant factor and is a function of the speed you are driving, irrespective of how quickly you reached that speed. If you want more range, drive slower.

The motor gets inefficent at higher RPM, so using gearing to allow it to cruise at motorway speeds in the "high efficiency" zone would help a little bit. I thnk this is more or less what they did with the smaller non-P motor.

For long distance driving, which is where range is really an issue, aerodynamic drag is the dominant factor and is a function of the speed you are driving, irrespective of how quickly you reached that speed. If you want more range, drive slower.

All the factors involved get multiplied by the efficiency of the drive train. So yes, his question is pertinent.

Thank you kindly.

Weight, Temperature, Drag and Speed are the biggest enemies of EV efficiency. The higher the speed, drag, weight and temperature delta (heating), the worse the range. I think the drive train is about as efficient as they can get it.. they could go to carbon fiber components and reduce weight, but that would get cost prohibitive quickly.

Depends what you mean by slower.

If they were to do anything, I'd want them to lengthen the ratio of the reduction gear. It'd reduce acceleration, but allow the drivetrain to operate at higher efficiency. Part of the Bolt's efficiency comes from its relatively long ratio.