Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would I be crazy to drive into Manhattan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no way that I would drive my Tesla in New York City! There's not a taxi cab there that's not all bent up. They don't get that way by driving like we do in the Northwest, where the horn is used for emergencies only! They're gonna run into you!
I grew up driving in NYC, and while the taxi cab drivers look/act insane, they're good at what they do. And they don't run into you :confused:

Reactions: wesley888
Great info from previous posters on parking and charging in the city if you decide you want to or must do it. But as someone who for 15 years or so has split my time weekly between midtown Manhattan and the Hudson Valley, I long ago concluded I no longer want to drive in the city. Driving and parking in Manhattan are more often than not hard on the driver and hard on the car (and the cars I used to drive in the city showed it). These days the Tesla lives upstate, and my preferred rides into and around the city are commuter rail and Uber. Much more relaxing to kick back and read a book on the train than duke it out in 24/7 traffic.

Reactions: CliffG and David29
I like that you're asking about in general and not necessarily specific to the Tesla.

For responses for about specifically taking a Tesla into the city. It's a car. There's far more expensive cars than a Tesla in the city. There's also a TON of Tesla's in the city. Go into any parking garage and I guarantee you will see at least half a dozen of them there.

If you're going to be arriving/leaving during rush hour, it's probably better to take a train. I usually drive in myself; but rush hour is a huge pain. If I have to go in, I will leave earlier to avoid the traffic. I'll also reserve a garage spot a day or two in advance, which allows for a cheaper rate. All day parking in a garage in midtown can be had for $15-$20 when you book in advance vs just showing up at a garage the day of. Metered parking can be $6/hour (I think, have to double check) so this makes extra sense.

Alternatively, if you insist on taking a train in. Park your car at a Tesla store. Uber it to the nearest train station, then in - all of that would be a pain though. I personally would just drive in.

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
Great info from previous posters on parking and charging in the city if you decide you want to or must do it. But as someone who for 15 years or so has split my time weekly between midtown Manhattan and the Hudson Valley, I long ago concluded I no longer want to drive in the city. Driving and parking in Manhattan are more often than not hard on the driver and hard on the car (and the cars I used to drive in the city showed it). These days the Tesla lives upstate, and my preferred rides into and around the city are commuter rail and Uber. Much more relaxing to kick back and read a book on the train than duke it out in 24/7 traffic.

I am beginning to lean that way, too. Mainly because driving is not a particularly good use of my time and I could get a lot of reading done on a train. Cost of the train is the big negative. At least $391 for entire trip if I take Acela all the way, less if I use Northeast Regional trains for one or more legs. Also, frankly, it is more environmentally appropriate to ride the train vs. schlepping a 4700 pound automobile around for 600 miles, just for me....Still, I would like to take the trip, at least as a challenge!
Still mulling the options...and I appreciate everyone's inputs!

would you care to wager on this conjecture?

I drive into midtown all the time during the weekday. Parking in a number of garages in the 44/5th vicinity. I don't recall a time where I haven't seen a bunch of Tesla's in the lots.

At least $391 for entire trip if I take Acela all the way, less if I use Northeast Regional trains for one or more legs. Still, I would like to take the trip, at least as a challenge!
Still mulling the options...and I appreciate everyone's inputs!

It's not much of a challenge, just another drive. Quite a boring one actually, if you have AP it might as well be a train ride for 90% of it.

Keep in mind he cost of parking/tolls could add up to a good amount of your Acela ticket depending on what you do and where you go. While good planning can end up in a relatively cheap trip, you can easily rack up $100 in tolls and parking.

I've been driving my new corvettes in for almost 20 years...I've never had a problem but I can respect your opinion.

There is parking at the weekhawkin ferry boats on the NJ side although it's not inexpensive. I'm not sure about overnight but the ferry takes about 10 minutes to get to the west side of manhattan. If I remember it's between 34 th and 42 no street on the west side. They have free buses to take you to many places in the city.

That might be a better option if you do not wish to drive into manhattan

Hope this helps

Thanks for everyone's inputs and recommendations. As it happened, I ended up using Amtrak. Although I would have preferred to drive, and preferred to save the Amtrak fare, driving would have consumed about 12 hours or more of my time. On the train, I was able to read, nap and eat, so it was more relaxing and a much better use of my time. Plus it seemed to me that consuming the energy to haul a 4800 pound automobile for 600 miles was not very responsible when the train was going my way anyway.

Under different circumstances I would drive. If my spouse were with me, it changes the economics considerably, plus we can spell each other driving.

Thanks again for the thoughtful comments.