Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would Model X Also Qualify for the Section 179 deduction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DavidM

P2624, Delivered
Aug 18, 2011
Florida
There is no doubt that the Model X will qualify for the $7,500 EV tax credit. But would the Model X also qualify for the $25,000 heavy SUV Section 179 deduction? I guess the X would have to weigh much more than the Model S to qualify. A qualifying SUV would have to weigh at least 6,000 pounds (1,300 pounds more than the S). And the vehicle would have to be used more than 50% for "business purposes". I don't imagine it would be that heavy, but if it was, the combined incentives would be huge.

David, I do not think that is correct. The GVWR needs to be over 6000 lbs, but that means the max. loaded weight (all passengers and cargo). It is possible being a 7 passenger AWD vehicle it will qualify.

Just to clarify, this is a business deduction; not something available to individual taxpayers.

You can take this deduction even if you are a sole proprietor (ala individual taxpayer). Think Mary Kay salesperson, Amway sales, independent real estate appraiser, broker, or independent agent, independent courier, pool boy, independent interior designer or decorator, and certainly all the trades, etc. You just have to have a big and heavy SUV (over 6,000 lbs that you use at least 50% for business). The car doesn't even have to be new. Used cars qualify. The cost of the car offsets your income up to $25K. Check it out with your tax advisor. Makes you wonder why everybody's fussing over the EV tax credit.

David, I do not think that is correct. The GVWR needs to be over 6000 lbs, but that means the max. loaded weight (all passengers and cargo). It is possible being a 7 passenger AWD vehicle it will qualify.

I believe you are correct. I checked on the following link: http://www.alphaleasing.com/businessaspects/over6000gvwr.asp
So, then I'm pretty sure that the Model X SUV will qualify because the X will weigh at least 4,700 lbs, and it will easily carry more than 1,300 lbs of passengers and cargo. And yes, it's technically an SUV even though Tesla prefers to consider it a crossover. I'll have to ask a tax adviser if you could technically take BOTH deductions. If so, then the Model X could wind up being much cheaper than the S.

You can take this deduction even if you are a sole proprietor (ala individual taxpayer).
To be a sole proprietor, one must run a BUSINESS. And if your business doesn't make any profits (because you set it up as a ruse to claim a Section 179 dedution), you'll have nothing against which to deduct the cost of the Model X, and therefore you will not save any money. Hence my original statement that this is a business deduction; not something available to individual taxpayers (i.e., "employed by someone else, not self-employed").

To be a sole proprietor, one must run a BUSINESS. And if your business doesn't make any profits (because you set it up as a ruse to claim a Section 179 dedution), you'll have nothing against which to deduct the cost of the Model X, and therefore you will not save any money. Hence my original statement that this is a business deduction; not something available to individual taxpayers (i.e., "employed by someone else, not self-employed").

Unless you have itemized deductions from employment that you can claim.

I agree that you have to run a "legitimate" business to take the Section 179 deduction. However, most American businesses have just one employee (the owner). And there are a lot of one person businesses that do turn a profit. Many of those businesses make money because they have little or no overhead or equipment, and they are just selling the owner's time and expertise. A good example is a pool man (cleaning & maintenance). They typically have a vehicle (pickup or SUV), a trailer, chemicals, and a computer and printer. A good pool man can make $50K to $80K of profit a year as a sole proprietor.

The $7,500 EV Tax Credit is a "Credit" - meaning it's a dollar for dollar reduction in Federal Taxes owed.
The Section 179 deduction is a "Deductible Business Expense" - The Federal Taxes saved depend on your tax bracket and the amount of the expense.

Here's a simple example for our Pool Man Sole Proprietor:
$100,000 - Sales Revenue
($30,000) - Business expenses
$70,000 - Gross Income
($25,000) - Section 179 Expense (from qualifying vehicle purchase)
$45,000 - Taxable Income

This Pool Man would be in the 25% Federal Tax Bracket (single filer) with or without the Section 179 Expense.
Since he reduced his taxable income by 25%, he saves $6,250 in taxes owed.
If the car was a plug-in EV, then presumably you could also take the $7,500 tax credit (if you owed that much in federal tax)

I still need to find out if you could actually take both the credit AND the deduction.