Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a stainless steel model 3?

Stainless Steel Model 3

• Yes

Votes: 94 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 75 44.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Runt8

May 19, 2017
Colorado
If Tesla made available a Model 3 with the same “sledgehammer proof” skin, would you buy it?

At first I thought it looked very odd (in addition to the polarizing looks of the cybertruck) to not be painted. But the more I think about it, the more I realize how awesome it would be to never have to worry about scratches or door dings ever again. And if I wanted some color, a vinyl wrap is cheaper and easier to repair than paint.

But it would have to be all sharp edges like the truck.

So something like this?

All-Electric-DeLorean-DMC-12-EV-2.jpg

If Tesla made available a Model 3 with the same “sledgehammer proof” skin, would you buy it?

At first I thought it looked very odd (in addition to the polarizing looks of the cybertruck) to not be painted. But the more I think about it, the more I realize how awesome it would be to never have to worry about scratches or door dings ever again. And if I wanted some color, a vinyl wrap is cheaper and easier to repair than paint.

I think Tesla did this for manufacturing purposes, so that the pickup will start at 40k rather than 60k as everyone was expecting. If they could make the model 3 start at 20k, and also provide the same level of safety and specs, then sure. I don't think that they can, however.

Reactions: JBT66
I guess you wouldn't have to worry about paint issues during delivery.

Aren't parts of the Model 3 aluminum though? Wouldn't converting those to steel make the car much heavier?

It depends on the amount of steel used, but probably, yes. Aluminum also has safety related properties, and the model 3 has a significant amount of steel already in it. The advantage with the pickup is that they had some heavy cargo capacity specs they needed to make.

Hypothetical questions tend to diverge too far from reality to seriously answer.

Reactions: holmgang
Trading weight for better durability, easier care? Sure, why not. Does it stop keying? Or do you just sandpaper it out?

It's not more durable and is far harder to care for. You can't buff scratches out, you can't remove dents, you can't touch up any manufacturing defects, you can't recoat it, and you have to be very careful what chemicals you use. Stainless steel as an outer skin is a nightmare. If you scratch or dent a panel, the only way to "repair" it is to replace the panel.

Paint is incredibly durable, and very resistant to chemicals.

It's not more durable and is far harder to care for. You can't buff scratches out, you can't remove dents, you can't touch up any manufacturing defects, you can't recoat it, and you have to be very careful what chemicals you use. Stainless steel as an outer skin is a nightmare. If you scratch or dent a panel, the only way to "repair" it is to replace the panel.

Paint is incredibly durable, and very resistant to chemicals.

Not entirely true.... 100% depends on the stainless used. Ever worked in a commercial food or bottling plant? Stainless everywhere subjected to harsh chemicals and lots of abuse daily.

Scratches can be buffed our but you have to refinish a whole panel to keep the finish lines similar. I have a 304 stainless exhaust hood that got lots of scratches prior to install... took some sandpaper and blended it all back so everything looks the same.

Stainless is very different than what any automotive finishers are used to.

30x cold rolled Stainless so I can park it anywhere. Let people smash shopping carts in it, kick it, open doors in it and ruin their keys on it. Upgrade the glass as well to stop smash and grab. Even though that glass broke in the demo it look liked it held up pretty well for having a giant metal ball tossed into it.