Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you guys like to see Apple buy Telsa?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apple could provide an endless amount of money to improve the technology and improve immensely the logistics and customer service relationship. On the down side, Elon's genius innovations may not be allowed to flourish under Apple's control. Personally it seems like a no brainer to me because Apple's strength are in the exact areas that Tesla is weak in. If they would allow Elon to continue to innovate and throw things at the wall and see what sticks then it could be a marriage made in heaven. I would imagine Ford and Chevy would not want to see a Tesla with an unlimited amount of cash to work with.

It would be advantageous from a fiscal standpoint. The danger of Tesla going broke would disappear, at least in the short to mid term.

This would also reduce some stress on Tesla employees worried about the long term viability of the company.

However, as nutty as Elon can be sometimes, he’s the one who built this house, good or bad. He wouldn’t be allowed to do just whatever he thought was right in order to move it forward. Tim Cook is hailed as an operational genius. I think while he may respect how far Elon’s come, he would most definitely feel the need to make changes in the company to better suit his vision of how operations should be managed.

But would that necessarily be a bad thing? It’s hard to say. Autos are certainly different from iPhones, even though I have called my Tesla the iPhone of cars due to the obvious amount of thought put into the design.

Elon has an unfortunate tendency to over promise. While Apple doesn’t have a perfect track record, they are MUCH more cognizant of managing expectations. Like, lightyears more cognizant of it. Eventually, I believe he would probably be ousted just like Jobs was from his own company.

What I would like to see instead is maybe Apple buys a significant stake in Tesla, like 30-40%. That way they would have weight with respect to offering streamlining solutions but Elon would still have the most responsibility in the end.

But if Apple is dead set on making their own EV, like it sounds like, then it might make more sense to buy them outright and get all of Tesla’s intellectual property (IP) instead of having to deal with them as a competitor.

Apple could provide an endless amount of money to improve the technology and improve immensely the logistics and customer service relationship. On the down side, Elon's genius innovations may not be allowed to flourish under Apple's control. Personally it seems like a no brainer to me because Apple's strength are in the exact areas that Tesla is weak in. If they would allow Elon to continue to innovate and throw things at the wall and see what sticks then it could be a marriage made in heaven. I would imagine Ford and Chevy would not want to see a Tesla with an unlimited amount of cash to work with.

That's the last company I would want to take a stake in Tesla (or, horrors, buy them). Their cultures are polar opposites.

If Apple had a controlling share in TSLA;

- Apple would demand a larger radius on the corners of the center screen of the Model 3. For the next two years, all we would hear about was how beautifully curved the corners of the center screen were.

- We would never get the ability to create a route on the GPS using multiple waypoints. Unnecessarily complicated.

- Apple would insist on removing the software limitation on charging the battery cells to 100%. We would need to go in for battery replacements every 2-4 years depending upon usage habits. Then they would crow about how this created a shorter upgrade cycle and bigger profits.

- The base Model 3 would be raised to $55,000 and the Performance Model 3 would be $110,000.

- Apple would insist on hiring a Chinese contract manufacturer to make all Teslas because this would increase profit margins. If children were found to be working in the factory they would feign ignorance.

- Apple would require other EV makers to sign royalty-bearing patent licenses under threat of a lawsuit.

- Apple would try to avoid as much US tax as possible using elaborate schemes involving the Cayman Islands, etc. They would cite this as a good example of innovation when investors asked them why they were not innovating anymore.

-If Consumer Reports identified a braking anomaly that caused longer than ideal stopping distances, rather than fix the issue in one week by releasing an Over-the-Air Software Update, Apple would blame the driver for "pressing on the brake pedal wrong".

- The voice recognition would be migrated to Siri.

- A Tesla HPWC would cost $2000 and the UMC would be $899. And they would be white.

-Apple would insist a Tesla could only be plugged into a Tesla charger. Bye-bye J1772 adapter compatibility.

- Apple would equip all Teslas with special wheels that required special Tesla branded tires. No more Michelin or Continental tires, no Pirelli or Nokian tires, they represent lost profit potential and don't create a powerful "ecosystem".

- Only a Tesla baby seat would work properly with the proprietary seat anchors. It would cost $1500.

- They would crow all the way to the bank about the valuable "Tesla" ecosystem they had created.

Tesla owners wouldn't know what they had lost until it was too late.

That's the last company I would want to take a stake in Tesla (or, horrors, buy them). Their cultures are polar opposites.

If Apple had a controlling share in TSLA;

- Apple would demand a larger radius on the corners of the center screen of the Model 3. For the next two years, all we would hear about was how beautifully curved the corners of the center screen were.

- We would never get the ability to create a route on the GPS using multiple waypoints. Unnecessarily complicated.

- Apple would insist on removing the software limitation on charging the battery cells to 100%. We would need to go in for battery replacements every 2-4 years depending upon usage habits. Then they would crow about how this created a shorter upgrade cycle and bigger profits.

- The base Model 3 would be raised to $55,000 and the Performance Model 3 would be $110,000.

- Apple would insist on hiring a Chinese contract manufacturer to make all Teslas because this would increase profit margins. If children were found to be working in the factory they would feign ignorance.

- Apple would require other EV makers to sign royalty-bearing patent licenses under threat of a lawsuit.

- Apple would try to avoid as much US tax as possible using elaborate schemes involving the Cayman Islands, etc. They would cite this as a good example of innovation when investors asked them why they were not innovating anymore.

-If Consumer Reports identified a braking anomaly that caused longer than ideal stopping distances, rather than fix the issue in one week by releasing an Over-the-Air Software Update, Apple would blame the driver for "pressing on the brake pedal wrong".

- The voice recognition would be migrated to Siri.

- A Tesla HPWC would cost $2000 and the UMC would be $899. And they would be white.

-Apple would insist a Tesla could only be plugged into a Tesla charger. Bye-bye J1772 adapter compatibility.

- Apple would equip all Teslas with special wheels that required special Tesla branded tires. No more Michelin or Continental tires, no Pirelli or Nokian tires, they represent lost profit potential and don't create a powerful "ecosystem".

- Only a Tesla baby seat would work properly with the proprietary seat anchors. It would cost $1500.

- They would crow all the way to the bank about the valuable "Tesla" ecosystem they had created.

Tesla owners wouldn't know what they had lost until it was too late.

And they would push OS updates that make existing models useless to drive and force everybody to purchase the latest model.

No way Apple would want the brand Tesla. Maybe the people or the tech, but Apple has among the best customer service out there while Tesla has among the worst.

It’s clear Elon wanted Tesla to be an Apple-type company but at this point I think that ship has sailed.

Google is definitely more Tesla’s speed. Rush out half baked products and screw customers at every opportunity ...yeah that sounds about right

This would be no. That would be the end of any innovation, Tesla would become a cash cow because of no more R&D and BEVs would likely be doomed. If there was a visionary in charge of Apple, like there used to be, it would be different. Of course, my bank account would like it if I received 15 AAPL for each TSLA.

I'd love to see SAP buy it - they're already next door neighbors :D and I think Tesla could benefit from some good old streamlined organizational and efficiency pointers... Especially when it comes to meeting customer communication expectations...

Attachments

• 3500deercreekrd.PNG
    3500deercreekrd.PNG
    126 KB · Views: 61