Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you have bought a Tesla if there was $0 tax incentive?

Would you buy a Tesla if there was $0 tax incentive?

• No.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Yes.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Yes because I did buy it for $0 tax incentive

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on the Tesla. I bought seven, and some of them didn't have a tax credit, so obviously it wasn't critical. But for a couple of them, it was.

Now that prices are where they are, it's likely I would buy without one. Then again, I don't need another car, so I have no plans to do so. But maybe at some point a tax incentive will push me to buy one I don't really need?

It's hard to say. I've spent a lot of time looking at pre- and post- polls on the effectiveness of incentives, but unfortunately behavior polls aren't that good at reflecting reality. A randomized A-B test in a single geographical area would be best, but has never been done. I have looked at A-B comparisons over different areas or over time (my favorite is limited-time offers in a single area), and they sure seem to indicate that the incentives were extremely effective. However, those were back when interest was lower and prices were higher. (But if you are interested, see section 3.2 of THIS report).

Last edited:
Hard to answer because in the absence of the tax rebate I'm sure Tesla's prices would be several thousand lower. IE, a Model 3 would start at $35k instead of $40k.

But I admit it was the $10,000 in combined Oregon and Federal incentives that really grabbed my attention and ultimately led to my purchase. However having owned the car and knowing how good it is, I would buy again without an incentive.

No, probably not. As a matter of fact, it wasn't just the tax incentives, but also the stupid high equity I had in my old car, that really made it an attractive option.

If not for both of those factors, I probably wouldn't be driving a Tesla now (well, not a M3P at least)