Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you pay $2k for supercharger access?

Would you pay $2k for Supercharger access?

• Yes (I'm an MS owner or future MS owner)

Votes: 80 35.9%
  • No (I'm an MS owner or future MS owner

Votes: 16 7.2%
  • Yes (I'm a future M3 owner)

Votes: 104 46.6%
  • No (I'm a future M3 owner)

Votes: 23 10.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The demographics for the model 3 will be different than those for the model S... curious to see how popular optional supercharging would be... and how many future M3 owners are on TMC.

For the purposes of this poll if you currently own or plan to own a MS then you are an MS owner regardless of wether you plan to also add a M3 to your Tesla collection...

So where do prospective future model X owners vote? I didn't see you mention it anywhere in the post... :p

(I'm pretty sure you're trying to look at price brackets, so I'm voting in the "Model S" group, even though I'm still not sure I'm ready to spend that kind of money. The numbers seem to say I can afford it next year.)
Walter

I would definitely be inclined to vote yes unless there was a flexibility way to pay as you go/charge since I don't see myself doing very much long distance traveling.
Another reason to vote yes is to increase the long term value of the car when you go to sell it.

A lot of people seem to hate or fear electrics due to range anxiety.
It all sounds like BS to me.

Even with 200miles, that is more than enouh for daily driving. Who the hell drives more than that every single day?

If you happen to drive that friggin much, then i feel sorry for you, and you may as well just keep a regular ice car for that use.

90% of drivers do not drive hundreds of miles a day.

A lot of people seem to hate or fear electrics due to range anxiety.
It all sounds like BS to me.

Even with 200miles, that is more than enouh for daily driving. Who the hell drives more than that every single day?

If you happen to drive that friggin much, then i feel sorry for you, and you may as well just keep a regular ice car for that use.

90% of drivers do not drive hundreds of miles a day.
It's not uncommon for Americans in the midwest and great plains to have fairly regular long commutes. For instance, mine is 120 miles round-trip. According to evtripplanner.com, if the temperature is 0F out (not uncommon in Michigan), I would use 180 rated miles, assuming I drive the speed limit, and there is no headwind. Unfortunately, during winter, substantial headwinds do occur. For me to seriously consider an EV, 200 miles EPA would be an absolute bare minimum. Realistically, it should be higher to allow for battery degradation over the car's life.

Electric Feel: True enough, but that doesn't mean superchargers shouldn't be a concern. America is a car-centric culture and a lot of people take road trips to various degrees. The advantage of not needing gas is just as relevant for a trip as it is for daily driving. There's little point in purchasing a really nice car like the Model 3 if you can't use it for your leisure activities. May as well get a Leaf.

For many people, if they are lucky enough to have two cars the daily driver is the lesser car - older, smaller, higher-mileage, less reliable, etc. These people have range anxiety because if they get a new car it's going to replace their previous nice car - the one that they put fewer miles on, and use for trips because it's bigger and more comfortable and more reliable. Maybe they're leapfrogging - the oldest car gets sold and the formerly nice car becomes the daily driver. But they're still replacing the nice car in function if not in fact. People take their best car on a trip.

...90% of drivers do not drive hundreds of miles a day.
:confused: While that is true, what does it have to do with the Supercharger network for long road trips? I must be missing your point.

I certainly can't speak for those in other countries, but in the USA long road trips are quite common, even routine, and are an expected use of a car. I thought that the introduction of the Tesla Supercharger network was a brilliant idea and a paradigm shift in EV utility. It is the reason I want the Model 3 as my next car.

If there would be pay2charge charging stations which could compete with the supercharging network in both convencience, amount, as well as charging speed it would be difficult to blow 2 grand on this. However at the moment there is a lack of both convenient, frequent and fast chargers so you'd be pretty much forced to if you want to do longrange travel.

I wouldn't buy a Model 3 without supercharger access. However, doing the math, $2000 doesn't fit in with the economics. The only road trip I do is once every couple of years I do a two day each way road trip to visit friends and family in Chicago. The last two times I did the trip I did it on less than $200 worth of diesel. Mind you, the C$ has dropped precipitously over the last year, so that'd probably be closer to $250 to $300, but still, it would take me about 20 years to recoup the cost of the supercharger access.

Last edited:
Like i said, for drivers who need to make those long drives, an ice or hybrid might be a more realistic option. Batteries just arent there yet. I dont think the model 3 can stay cheap and give you 300+ miles of range.

For the rest of the world who dont make such long trips, they should be forced to switch to electric.

As for superchargers, well the US clearly has the best coverage, so if you make long trips and you have access to the necesary chargers, then its a no brainer.

:confused: While that is true, what does it have to do with the Supercharger network for long road trips? I must be missing your point.

I certainly can't speak for those in other countries, but in the USA long road trips are quite common, even routine, and are an expected use of a car. I thought that the introduction of the Tesla Supercharger network was a brilliant idea and a paradigm shift in EV utility. It is the reason I want the Model 3 as my next car.

For me anyway, I'd be taking 1-2 trips per year that take me out of range (assuming a 200 mile range). Frankly it would be much more cost effective to take my wife's Ford Escape on these rare trips and eat the $70-100 in gas than pay $2,000 for supercharger access.... A lot of model 3 owners are going to be more cost conscious than the S&X owners. Even though the poll results would seem to indicate more people would pay for Supercharger access I would say that if you're signed up to these forums for a car that hasn't been revealed yet and won't go into production for another 2 years you're probably a little more willing to buy any extras that Tesla is selling vs the average consumer.

Another reason to vote yes is to increase the long term value of the car when you go to sell it.

I voted yes as future M3. And the extra resale value is the only way that it makes economic sense to me and my driving habits. If it wasn't transferable it would be a much tougher sell, but the convenience would still have me leaning towards yes.

I also voted yes as a future Model 3 owner. I take a lot of long road trips, and the other charging options seems less desirable. That said, I hope supercharging is included in the base price -- otherwise, I'm sure I'll be figuring out which options to pass up to get it.