Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Prefer A Solid Roof?

Solid Roof Or Glass?

• Solid

Votes: 96 40.3%
  • Glass

Votes: 142 59.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think its pretty well established that the rear part of the roof from the B pillar back will be a glass roof standard without any option for a metal roof. The options that will exist pertain to the area where a sunroof is installed between the A and B pillars. So, whether or not you like the glass roof in back, if you want a model 3 you will want to get used to the idea.

Also, its pretty clear now that the primary reason for the glass roof is for additional head space in back, with the aesthetic aspect being a strong secondary reason. While comparing a metal roof to glass roof in a vacuum, I'm sure the glass roof is more expensive. But I don't think its appropriate to do that. Rather, if you want a metal roof, you have also be happy with less head space in back or less range because of the taller less aerodynamic vehicle. To maintain a 200+ mile range vehicle with a metal roof and a lot of head space, you would have probably needed a bigger battery, which would have probably been more expensive in the long run.

Would you provide a link or other information that it is "pretty well established" that the rear part of the roof will be glass. Secondly why do you assume that a metal roof might result in a "taller less aerodynamic" vehicle? Perhaps the reason the reason the metal roof doesn't provide adequate headroom is precisely because the height of the Model 3 stays exactly the same with a lower interior roof. I don't see Tesla reducing aerodynamics by increasing the height.

Secondly why do you assume that a metal roof might result in a "taller less aerodynamic" vehicle? Perhaps the reason the reason the metal roof doesn't provide adequate headroom is precisely because the height of the Model 3 stays exactly the same with a lower interior roof. I don't see Tesla reducing aerodynamics by increasing the height.

You might want to read his post again.

Would you provide a link or other information that it is "pretty well established" that the rear part of the roof will be glass.

Your best place for getting information regarding the glass roof is from the various test drive videos. Here are a few:

Discussion regarding glass roof, aerodynamics and head space (see 1:20):

The main mention of roof options refers to the front sunroof glass in this video here (see 0:16):

There are lots of other videos and places on the forum where the roof is discussed, and there simply isn't any evidence whatsoever that the rear glass from the B pillar to the trunk will be anything but standard, nor is there any evidence of a metal roof option instead of the rear glass.

Perhaps the reason the reason the metal roof doesn't provide adequate headroom is precisely because the height of the Model 3 stays exactly the same with a lower interior roof. I don't see Tesla reducing aerodynamics by increasing the height.

Sorry, my writing isn't always the most clear. I absolutely agree. I was just saying IF Tesla wanted to have the same headroom with a metal room, it would have required a taller, less aerodynamic car. I don't think they would have done that either, because range would have suffered and it wouldn't be quite as appealing to me.

All things considered, I'm quite impressed with their creativity of using a glass roof to provide greater head room while keeping the car very aerodynamic. I wouldn't have got it if it were an option, but I'm okay with it given the reasoning.

What I don't understand is that sheet metal is thinner than glass, so just throw a ¼ inch of insulation up ther and roof fabric and call it a day. It still will be cooler than a glass roof.

That's all I need on my MS.
In any car from which I have ever removed a headliner, it's clear that a metal roof, plus its accompanying structural members, and a headliner panel is substantially thicker than a sheet of glass... unless this is ballistics-grade glass in the M3.

It's rather minor overall, but I look forward to not having a headliner. Years of driving newer Volkswagens has given me too much experience re-covering headliners where some beancounter jackass saved a little fabric and created self-separating headliner upholstery.

Not sure which one I'd go for at the moment so I didn't vote in the poll. I guess it would depend on the cost differential (cheaper is better :D ). Assuming that there would be no cost difference between the two options, I guess my selection would be glass as it would eliminate any potential paint degradation of the roof (a current problem I have with my 2000 BMW since I park outside), at the expense of possible glass replacement due to chips or cracks.

Hey guys, for what it's worth, I mocked up (in another thread) what the metal roof could look like compared to the glass/moonroof. Personally I love the look of glass, although I do worry about the sunlight baking the interior all day long when parked outside.

model3_colorMockupB_pearlWhiteRoofA_v01.jpg
model3_colorMockup_white_v01.jpg

Have to say bayol deserves a special price for his brilliant graphics wizardry... absolutely flawless.

I personally prefer a metal roof because the Scottish winters can be harsh and I am overly sensitive to sunlight so I don't enjoy sunlight lighting up the car. However, I think PaulJB is right that there is no evidence of a metal roof extending all the way back which is a shame.

I have had a look at bayol's depictions and a full metal roof would look good but a part metal roof would look a bit odd so in the end, I might just go for all glass and then apply reflective (silver) tint on all roof glass sections which should be legal here in the UK.

Thanks for the metal roof mockup, bayol. It really shows how small the roof section being discussed is in comparison to the huge windshield and rear window. How much more heat gain/loss would result from having that part being tinted glass vs. metal?

If the metal roof turns out to be substantially less costly than the all-glass version, then I may go for metal. Otherwise, the glass top just looks so much better... which is somewhat out of character for good old practical me. :)

I am not sure the photoshopped image is correct, although obviously this is just based on the other images and where the panels are.

Wasn't it said that the glass roof gives more headroom to those in the back? If that's the case, the solid roof must be over the back seats (and therefore give less headroom) and in the images the panels they don't.

Based on the information what we have today, I voted for solid roof as per instructions in OP.

For me, range > function (AWD, tech packages) > performance (P / luda) > form (glass roof, bigger wheels). And as such, it's the last on my list for what I would pay for. But like I said, based on the information we have today.