Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you Purchase a model Y Again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, a friend and I were talking about our 2020 Model Y’s. He asked if I would purchase again, if I had the choice. We spoke about what we liked and not. In the end, we both felt that the car was fun to drive, and could hold lots of gear. He has had more issues with his August, 2020 purchase than my September build 20. We both agreed that the suspension needed help and I have always thought that a heads-up display would be a benefit. Neither of us felt very good about the idea of providing Elon Musk with extra money, but that is a political question.

Beyond this, the biggest gripe is the lack of service centers in proximity to our western Ma location. The closest center is in Boston, some 1 1/2-2 hours away. The Boston centers are notoriously bad, so Rhode Island is often a better choice. Both of us felt that this issue was a huge consideration and possibly a deal breaker moving forward if more centers are not opened.

I’m curious to hear from others. Would you purchase again?

Beyond this, the biggest gripe is the lack of service centers in proximity to our western Ma location. The closest center is in Boston, some 1 1/2-2 hours away.
You think that's bad - I'm 6 hours from the nearest service center.
Buy again. If I could sell my 21 Red Model YLR with 28K today or in the very near future, you bet I'd jump on a new one!

I absolutely would. My MYP has been virtually flawless since delivery. It even still has all the Freemont air in the tires after almost two years. There has been zero battery degradation. My only gripe is the stupid auto wipers. They were fixed for a year and then a later update broke them again. Funny though, during my free FSD trial, they were fine. After it was over, broke again. I tend to think therefore that they can fix them but choose not to. I just work around this issue. Small annoyance really. I have a service center not far from here but have never needed it. Best car I have ever owned.

I have a service center within 10 miles but haven't been to it yet, though I went to the previous location once before it moved. I'm about 10 days from the 4 year anniversary and 48K, have just changed the tires twice and added a bit of wiper fluid. While there have been somewhat tempting offers from Tesla to get a new one this one has been paid off from the start so it will take a very interesting refresh for me to take the plunge - no other company has an irresistible product to date IMO. While I previously enjoyed the luxuries of BMW I can't go back to an ICE after 5 years and two Tesla's.
Edit: I still haven't changed the wiper blades and they still work fine! Just returned from a 3800 mile Yellowstone and Denver trip with some rain, all good :cool:

Last edited:
0.99% financing had me strongly considering adding a second "first gen" Model Y, but I'll probably end up adding a Highland 3 or Juniper Y at some point next year.

Like others, I don't live far from the service center, but haven't been back since I got the car.

Not a day goes by that I don't roll my eyes back into my head over something Elon has said or done, but he is a battering ram thru corporate bureaucracy and the silo-building that all large companies inevitably gravitate toward, and that is his most valuable role at Tesla. Like the old Gretzky saying goes, "I don't skate to the puck, I skate to where the puck is going to be." Well pucks can change trajectory fast, and so can Tesla with Elon at the helm. (I guess that last bit is really more of a shareholder pep talk than car buying advice :) .)

We have a 2021 MY, mostly problem free. 1.5 hours from service centre? Would I buy again? Probably, yes. Supercharger network is still supreme, and some of the features are still not available on other cars, or if they are they don't work as well like Tesla's app, keep mode, dog mode, sentry mode, etc. Tesla's software is still far ahead. Plus I'm used to constant updates now - something you don't really get anywhere else. I don't think I could go to another manufacturer. They are catching up, yes - KIA/Hyundai is probably closest, but still a way's to go and they still need to re-think their cultures. I think the Juniper Y will sell like hot cakes if it has everything the Highland M3 has and maybe a few more things...Time will tell.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I’m not sure I’d buy again - 99.9% of that is due to the Service Center experience here in MA. My closest service center is in Peabody and they are a nightmare to work with. Their Google reviews speak volumes so I won’t take my any additional cuts at Tesla Peabody here. I’ve talked dozens of friends and family out of buying a Tesla without first understanding what they are signing up for service-wise. Because - you will need service…

The car is enjoyable to drive. There is a lot to like about the tech, no dependency on gasoline, etc, etc. It’s a shame the service centers make the servicing part of ownership horrible.

what other vehicles are you looking at?

my 2014 Kia Sportage SX (120,000 miles) turbo charger needed replacing, and would cost $5,000 to replace. fun vehicle to drive, if not for all the repairs, engine went limp mode and needed replacing around 60,000 miles. high pressure fuel pump leaked and needed replacing. control arms replaced. knock sensor recall. etc. it had a stiff suspension so i'm not really noticing the stiffness on the MYLR.

the vehicles i initially looked at were in the $40-45K range Mazda CX-5 turbo awd, Acura RDX turbo awd, and Subaru Outback turbo awd. but they all had turbo chargers that would probably go bad after 100,000 miles. since my wife already had a M3, i did some research on the MYLR and took a test drive and checked the inventory page everyday for several weeks till i found one i wanted with $5,000 discount. also Tesla gave me $4,300 trade in for the Sportage (i didn't tell them about the bad turbo charger)

yes, i would buy another MYLR.

Move out of MA...problem solved....

I’m not sure I’d buy again - 99.9% of that is due to the Service Center experience here in MA. My closest service center is in Peabody and they are a nightmare to work with. Their Google reviews speak volumes so I won’t take my any additional cuts at Tesla Peabody here. I’ve talked dozens of friends and family out of buying a Tesla without first understanding what they are signing up for service-wise. Because - you will need service…

The car is enjoyable to drive. There is a lot to like about the tech, no dependency on gasoline, etc, etc. It’s a shame the service centers make the servicing part of ownership horrible.
Maybe Danguard_Ace is correct and we both need to move out of Ma 😀.

Considering the conversation I had with my brother-in-law earlier, I think this is a bigger issue with the region and the mentality.

He told me that his daughter/my niece (goes to college in VT) was super pissed at him because he and my sister just traded in one of their SUVs, which was considered "hers" to get a new Tesla MYLR (their 2nd). She's not anti-Tesla or anything, but the thing is, her older sister is graduating from another college not far away from her and found a job near home. But they were sharing another SUV ("belonging" to the older sister), meaning she thought she would take hers since she still needs a car. My brother-in-law said to just take the Tesla... but she told him that she has no way to charge where she's staying and the superchargers are always full of ICE vehicles blocking the spaces. And that was the actual reason she was pissed.

So, it wouldn't surprise me if there are people that lean towards being anti-EV/Tesla that got jobs there, cause well, they need a job anyway... and giving less than "their all" at it. Or worse, doing things un-consciously, or even intentionally, to drive people away.

Anyway, back to the topic...

Obviously, if my sister or brother-in-law were on this forum, their answer to "would you buy another MY?" is the fact they just did.

As for me... actually, I would not. My reason is actually that I like a slightly smaller car, so I would buy the "Model 2" or whatever its supposed to be called... whenever that actually comes out. I like my MYP, but it is bigger than I prefer and with its ownership, it just reinforces that I like a smaller car.

Reactions: Skavatar
Recently, a friend and I were talking about our 2020 Model Y’s. He asked if I would purchase again, if I had the choice. We spoke about what we liked and not. In the end, we both felt that the car was fun to drive, and could hold lots of gear. He has had more issues with his August, 2020 purchase than my September build 20. We both agreed that the suspension needed help and I have always thought that a heads-up display would be a benefit. Neither of us felt very good about the idea of providing Elon Musk with extra money, but that is a political question.

Beyond this, the biggest gripe is the lack of service centers in proximity to our western Ma location. The closest center is in Boston, some 1 1/2-2 hours away. The Boston centers are notoriously bad, so Rhode Island is often a better choice. Both of us felt that this issue was a huge consideration and possibly a deal breaker moving forward if more centers are not opened.

I’m curious to hear from others. Would you purchase again?
Well, I'm still in my first year. 2023 MYP. Love it, but I've heard a lot of bad things about stiff suspension in prior years. Mine has the so-called Comfort Suspension, and it seems reasonable - a lot like my Infiniti. My biggest complaint about driving it is that I'd like it to be quieter. And I may someday retrofit a nicer suspension system. I just love the compromises of this car. Not too big, not too small, not too slow in the corners, plenty fast, comfortable enough and so much new and different stuff on it that I've been interested for months learning new things. (I'm 70. I've driven a lot of vehicles. None like this.)

I haven't needed the service center yet, except to replace a chipped windshield upon delivery.

I bought it as my first EV in large part due to the Supercharger network. That's still a huge factor for me. It's hard to consider a non-Tesla yet, for a 1-EV-family. And as a second EV I think I'd want the new M3P, or a Cybertruck.

I will add that recently I needed to get some bodywork done on the left front of my MY. I took it to a local body shop I have worked with in the past on a non-Tesla. He told me that he has worked on many Tesla’s and that in the past they were a great company to work with. He said they were “the best” and very responsive.

Now, he won’t touch a Tesla. He says they have become the worst company to work with. It takes months to get any parts and if they find other damage while doing the initial repair, months more for the additional parts. In the end, he said that customers get angry, he gets angry and it just isn’t worth the hassle.

Speaking with other area body shops was similar. So, just like in my original post, I will need to drive close to two hours to get the repairs I need.

I think this is a real issue with Tesla. The vast majority of Tesla’s on the road are probably less than 3 years old. All these cars will age and need service at some time. Hopefully the infrastructure will grow.