Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you rock solid/flat/smooth wheels for more range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tires are for traction. With my life literally riding on four patches of rubber not much bigger than my hands, I am not willing to exchange a few percent increase in range for stopping distance, resistance to hydroplaning and handling in general.

Closed rims do not influence traction, nor hydroplaning nor 'handling in general'. The brake overheating myth has been debunked many times.

"wheels" is rather ambiguous, is it not? It could refer to the rubber tire, the rim, or even both as a single unit.

Technically, "wheel" refers to the part that has the spokes (or a solid disk) and the hub. Originally, the rim was a separate piece bolted to the wheel on which the tire was mounted. It still is on some large truck wheel/rim/tire assemblies. This is why wheels have "rim width" and "rim diameter". It's more correct to say "tire/wheel assembly" when referring to the assembly. In automotive terminology "wheel" is the metal part, and "tire" is the inflatable part.

Technically, "wheel" refers to the part that has the spokes (or a solid disk) and the hub. Originally, the rim was a separate piece bolted to the wheel on which the tire was mounted. It still is on some large truck wheel/rim/tire assemblies. This is why wheels have "rim width" and "rim diameter". It's more correct to say "tire/wheel assembly" when referring to the assembly. In automotive terminology "wheel" is the metal part, and "tire" is the inflatable part.

Thanks - I knew "wheel" referred to parts as a whole and figured tire was just one of those parts alongside the hub/spokes/rims.

Reactions: Red Sage