TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Would you still buy if we move into a recession in 2020?

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by SoCalDude, Aug 24, 2019.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Member

For those that also put a deposit on a Y, have you had any thoughts on canceling if we start to see more hints of a recession in 2020?

I placed my deposit on the first day we could order a Y. Today, I changed from the Performance Y to the RWD with 19” wheels to save some money as I am already starting to get spooked.

2. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Groups are openly trying to create a recession for political gain, pay attention understand and try not to get too spooked.

Creating fear about it is their best tool to make it happen.
    Yes there are legitimate headwinds with China for instance but they need us more than we need them and we can win the battle.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  3. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Member

#3 Watts_Up, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    It just depend of your job situation, but I would not recommend getting a new car if you don't have too much disposable saving.

With the coming anticipated 2020 recession, a lot of companies starts to try to improve their bottom line instead of spending in R&D and so on.
    However, when there is a recession, whatever government will be at that time, a lot of funding will then be injected to restart the industry.

So many people would certainly be affected like during the last dotcom bubble which lasted about a year, but many companies then emerged thereafter.

$48,000 - Long Range - Rear-Wheel Drive
    $52,000 - Long Range - Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
    $61,000 - Performance

I think it can be wise to save $9,000 for the Performance if you don't really need it,
    and also worry about having 20" wheels if you have a lot of potholes around where you live.

However I would get the LR AWD, it's only $4,000 extra. Considering the total weight of the Model Y, having two motors
    help a lot during accelerations and will certainly lower the load on a single motor, thus improve wear and tear, and reliability.

Before getting a Model 3, I drove both the LR and the AWD on a curving road and and felt a big difference between the two versions.
    Note: At the time the AWD was a $6,000 option, and choose it.I was lucky that this option went back to $5,000 at delivery time.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

No one is trying to create a recession.

The reality is that the trade war is adding a massive cost burden on the consumer, the yield curve is inverted and sentiment is poor. The Swiss and German government bonds are now selling for negative interest rates. Stock markets are jittery as the market is uncertain. Even the wildest pronouncements of the Chosen One, I mean the President, are reacted to, like the 700 point Dow drop this week.

The federal reserve is running out of interest rate cuts and is try to hold off to maximise effect. A “normal recession” historically requires 5 percentage points of rate cuts to bring the economy out of it. They don’t have that ammunition available.

The threat of recession is real, if you don’t believe it you probably need to switch to greater variety of information sources.

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Except there are politicians and activists publicly rooting for a recession for political gain, literally saying it.

Yes the yield curve inverted but other indicators are still good.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  6. dipper

dipper Member

I want a recession! Recession is when people make money.

I had my money ready for 2017, but Hillary did not show up for work in November to get into recession. Dang, could not buy investment property under Trump with fake promises.

My money is getting ready again.

7. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Pretty obvious some posts here are already trying to make this political.

The macroeconomic situation does not always translate to microeconomic household situations.

Unless we are in your financial situation, there is no way to answer this.

Initial impression tells me you are overreacting to something completely unknown.

By unknown, it’s when the Model Y is actually coming out.

No one is getting the RWD Y or the Performance Y right now, no matter what the economy is doing.

The right question to ask is if you are currently living paycheck to paycheck without long term strategic thinking and management of financial resources and goals?

That should drive your Model Y purchase, not things around you that you can’t control.

• Like x 7
  8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Member

I think it is more than a question of living paycheck to paycheck. I am not saying we are there now, but if and when a recession seems eminent, I believe that people tend to resist spending.

I was just curious if others would likely not move forward with the Y if things started to get ugly with the economy. If the cancellations were high, then that would be disastrous for Tesla.

9. azentropy

azentropy Member

I will, but I’ll be consolidating from two vehicles (Model 3 an BMW X3) to just the Y Performance with hopefully no new/or little money out of pocket.

10. ElectricLee

ElectricLee Member

I would buy two Model Y's and Tesla Truck and BUY a few LOW priced home and rent them out.

11. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

I might keep my cash in the bank ready to pickup bargains like in 2008-2009. Got Ford for $2 and some, BAC for $4, Apple $20 etc.

• Like x 2
  12. Brian-MS90D

Brian-MS90D Member

If only all that a growing economy required was happy thoughts and cheer leading...

I will still purchase the Model Y in a recession. I would not in a depression.

@dipper , yes, I am also ready for some good real estate deals soon. The market even in the boring midwest is over-inflated; hard to find good deals.

• Like x 1