Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow...Tesla service really is that bad....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I was the service guy and you did your “video” and asked me to look in the camera and state my name at that point I would have turned off the camera and Jacked you in the mouth. What a corn Cobb. Some people are just ass hats.

Do you go around all the time punching people in the mouth? If so, do you have a good lawyer or do you just do the crime and then do the time?

Well done.
Tesla isn't a deity and shouldn't get a pass for such sloppy service. There has been a push to get cars out the door and Musk should recognize this by beefing up after-sales service. The only way to help Tesla improve is to give feedback such as rejecting a poorly built car or cancelling orders. I would love to buy a MY but won't until this situation improves.

When I picked up my new MY, documented various delivery issues. I even had the salesman sign a document that they would agree to fix them and provide a loaner. Booked the service visit and it was one month out. I made a video on my phone of all the issues, then had the sales manager smile at the video, state his name and agree that everything would be fixed at no expense to myself.

Dropped my car off yesterday at the service center. Three employees say behind their desks, did not even look up to assist me which was not a good start...

They then tried to play the game where they are not sure if everything would be covered. I then showed them the signed letter from the sales manager, they called over to the sales center, than agreed to cover it. They even suggested the headliner grease stains should be my responsibility to have cleaned.

Of course no loaner was available, then I can tell my car has sat in their lot and they have not yet touched it for service. Then I get a text they are backed up, yada yada yada.

Service rep calls me this morning, they fixed basically 1 of the 9 issues, need to order parts, parts on back order yada yada yada.

Tried every way in the book to get out of the panel gaps telling me they are within tolerance.

Needless to say, the service has lived up to what I have read. I had a Model X on order for my wife that we just cancelled. We can not have two cars that rely on the same horrible service process.

On a side note, I described this whole ordeal to my brother who is a class action attorney and he said Tesla is basically putting a class action lawsuit on a silver platter and waiting for an attorney like him to grab it and go after them. He was also going to get a Tesla and is now thinking about the Ford Mach since he assumes that Ford will deliver a car in perfect condition and have a reasonable service process.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
When I picked up my new MY, documented various delivery issues. I even had the salesman sign a document that they would agree to fix them and provide a loaner. Booked the service visit and it was one month out. I made a video on my phone of all the issues, then had the sales manager smile at the video, state his name and agree that everything would be fixed at no expense to myself.

Dropped my car off yesterday at the service center. Three employees say behind their desks, did not even look up to assist me which was not a good start...

They then tried to play the game where they are not sure if everything would be covered. I then showed them the signed letter from the sales manager, they called over to the sales center, than agreed to cover it. They even suggested the headliner grease stains should be my responsibility to have cleaned.

Of course no loaner was available, then I can tell my car has sat in their lot and they have not yet touched it for service. Then I get a text they are backed up, yada yada yada.

Service rep calls me this morning, they fixed basically 1 of the 9 issues, need to order parts, parts on back order yada yada yada.

Tried every way in the book to get out of the panel gaps telling me they are within tolerance.

Needless to say, the service has lived up to what I have read. I had a Model X on order for my wife that we just cancelled. We can not have two cars that rely on the same horrible service process.

On a side note, I described this whole ordeal to my brother who is a class action attorney and he said Tesla is basically putting a class action lawsuit on a silver platter and waiting for an attorney like him to grab it and go after them. He was also going to get a Tesla and is now thinking about the Ford Mach since he assumes that Ford will deliver a car in perfect condition and have a reasonable service process.

I feel your pain. I, too, have serious issues with Tesla service, but if you think that Ford service will be better you need to talk to my wife about her recurring Lincoln problems that “we can’t fix!”

Further, I agree with your brother. I am a retired attorney/professor, and I too see a class action in the making - and the NHTSA is biting at their heels also regarding several other probs. STILL ... best car ever!

• Funny
I feel your pain. I, too, have serious issues with Tesla service, but if you think that Ford service will be better you need to talk to my wife about her recurring Lincoln problems that “we can’t fix!”

Further, I agree with your brother. I am a retired attorney/professor, and I too see a class action in the making - and the NHTSA is biting at their heels also regarding several other probs. STILL ... best car ever!

At least they pick up. I have been unable to reach a human in over a week at my local place.

Wrongful Inconvenience?
Is that a thing?

Well, it's clear that they have outright lied to many customers with huge charge port door overflush conditions telling them "it's within spec". We now have the official Tesla Service Bulletin which defines the acceptable offset as 1.5mm or less not 5mm or greater as some owners have noted only to be turned away. I'm sure they've lied about a good amount of items that are not actually "within spec" too (back seat height differential comes to mind)....

• Informative
To those who have experienced the laughably dismal Tesla service, you have plenty of company.
After leasing a MS, and after a whole lotta deliberation about liking the car vs enduring delays and utter lack of customer centered service, I decided to get a new MS performance.
The car ‘passed’ inspection but the moment I sat in it the frunk detection alertwas greeting me on the instr screen (can not detect if closed). I brought the delivery person over and was told she will set me up with mobile service to fix that. Which meant my scheduling through the app. Fine. After 1 week was texted that mobile can’t do it, reschedule at a SC....after another 4 week wait, got the email that all appointments my week are canceled due to the SC being backed up. So now it’s another 5 weeks for service... hopefully. And as it turns out because of the frunk alert, autopilot, cruise and intermittently, music streaming don’t work. Instalemon and there’s nothing I can do. Unless of course, your attorney wants some well
Paid work. I generally disdain the notion of suing but it’s not like it wouldn’t be well earned. As soon as the network is viable, #tradeinfortaycan

I've owned my MY for almost 10 weeks, but over three of those weeks were spent riding on Ubers while my car was being serviced to correct delivery issues. Lawmakers should pass a law stating that a cash fine be paid by the manufacturer to the owner for each day they are deprived of the use of a new vehicle for defects present at the time of sale that should have been repaired prior to release. I understand that I could have refused the car, but it honestly never occurred to me the vehicle would spend 8 days at the SC before they began doing the mechanical stuff (which took 48-72 hours) ...and then over a week at the auto body place before they would start their 3-4 day body repair.

WOW, the Tesla fan boys come right after you...

Lets not use for as an example. Lets use my old 80K+ X5 as an example. No panel games, loaners given, real estimates of completion.

The Tesla fan boys who continue to defend Tesla at any cost are not going to do them much good in the long run...Eventually other products will be on the market with better quality control. Before I purchase the MY, I was seriously considering the Audi Etron but liked the Tesla technology better and their establishment as the main play in the electric car world.

If these are not Tesla fan boys who come to the defense of Tesla left and right, there are some great pro Tesla bots out there ! I expect many more fan boys to come to their defense after this post.

Totally agree...tesla needs to improve every aspect of car production...they should go get themselves a Lexus LS and take it apart...and learn...that's how good cars are built. it's hard to like my tesla when it looks like an amateur put it together and when my neighbor asks me how I like my jalopy...he's right...its a jalopy..

What happens if you reject the car at delivery? How many times can you do this if a car has issues? I heard something about a 12 month wait before ordering the same model again after rejecting. Is that accurate?

The 12 month wait only applies if you return the vehicle within 7 days. You cannot order the same trim level for that time period, however, you can order a different trim level. As for how many times can you reject a vehicle, I don't think anyone has gotten to that point to find out. If I were to guess, I'd say they'd probably tell you to go elsewhere after 3 attempts.

I'm bringing my car for some initial delivery fixes next week. I asked if I could get a loaner and they replied saying they are only giving uber credits now :( Is it because of the SC I chose? They did say they had all the parts for the repairs I requested though so I guess that's a plus.
Push back or try with a diff center. Make it known on your surveys too.

Can now confirm Tesla service is absolutely horrible. Took delivery of my MY at the end of July. Brought the car in this past monday to have tow hitch installed and creaky glass roof looked at. Received a txt Wednesday saying the car would be done yesterday. Sent several txts yesterday to my SA asking if when I could pickup the car and got no response. Tried calling yesterday and this morning, can't get anyone on the phone from service. Basically ghosted me since Wednesday, and can't get a single person on the phone to tell me if the car is ready or not. Hands down the worst customer service I've ever experienced as far as communication for car service. Any future owners...pray you don't have issues and have to bring the car in.

• Informative
Reactions: eyedub
Same here. Had a horrible experience at Dania service here in south Florida. After waiting 3 weeks for my appt, my car went in on a Thursday morning to get hitch added and fix a few misc rattles. Was told hopefully have it back by that evening, worst case the next day. Friday afternoon, I called...no answers. As many of you know, the service department is protected behind a corporate shield. Unless you have the SA cell, you’re done. I left multiple messages, as they never answer a live call. By Saturday, I went to the service center. That person only could tell me my car was “in service”. Nothing else. I was able to finally secure a loaner. By the following Monday, still nothing. I track down the service manager on LinkedIn, sent him a message. Nothing. Keep calling, finally hear back Tuesday morning. They still haven’t even looked at the car. But it should be this afternoon, worst case Wednesday. Wednesday afternoon, after still hearing nothing and trying the manager again...I finally hear from SA. Still haven’t even LOOKED at the car. I’m absolutely disgusted. I decided to just pick up the car (as none of my issues are urgent). Made another appointment 3 weeks out. The SA was apologetic but said he couldn’t commit to having it done in next 3-4 days so pushing out made sense. Wow.

I’m stunned at how bad the service is. Like...it’s absurdly bad. The engineering in this car is outstanding, as is the tech. The quality of workmanship and quality of interior parts, is not. My car’s been in service 5 times in 6 months. That, on top of of the terrible service, certainly makes for a less then compelling case to buy Tesla again. I do love it though, lol. Just fix the service! They have the technology and the smarts to improve the service experience, I have no doubt...they just choose not to.

<rant over>

Eventually, these service issues are going to cost Tesla a significant bit of business. I haven't even received my Model Y yet, and I'm getting ready to walk away. One week ago, we were on our way to the service center to pick up our new MY, after the delivery date was changed 4 times, and 10 minutes before our delivery appointment, less than a mile from the SC, we receive a call that our MY was damaged in transit. They "just discovered" the unspecified damage while setting it up for delivery. Apparently the damage was severe enough that it can't be repaired anytime soon, and we'll be assigned another vehicle. They had no idea on how long that would take. We had opted for only two options, blue paint and the tow package, and told them we'd be open to another color if they'd get us in a car sooner.
Since that phone call one week ago, not a word from them. I've sent texts, emails, and voice mails to the SC, just to get an idea on when we could expect delivery. No response in a week. My account online tells me nothing.
They also cancelled my free supercharger miles (referral code) from my order, saying there was a state law against referrals in our state, but I've heard from other local owners that they got the miles on their MY, so that makes no sense. The only thing I've heard is an automated email saying my trade-in evaluation had expired and I'd have to redo all of that. At this point, I'm looking at other vehicles. I did a 24-hour test drive on a MY, and it's an absolutely amazing car which I definitely want to buy, but their customer service is just terrible.

• Informative
Reactions: eyedub