Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapping the wood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched and cringed as he went along the corners near the door. Then he started the other side and stopped playback. Two pieces? You can even see the line in the image without it being zoomed in.
I could probably live with the seam in the middle. Probably isn't that noticeable as it would be behind the screen. But yeah, the corners look like pain. I'm sure if really took ones time and worked on it, it could be made to look okay, but how his ended up was pretty bad. Granted, won't see it when the doors are closed, but will see it every time getting in the car.

I might buy it and give it a try. Not too bad of a price, so not out huge money if I don't like it.

I watched and cringed as he went along the corners near the door. Then he started the other side and stopped playback. Two pieces? You can even see the line in the image without it being zoomed in.
Beside "not so perfect" ends he did not mention something extremely important - surface preparation. If there is wax, polishe or any other substance on that trim peace it will fail for sure. I can't advise on surface preparation because I don't know what is harmless to the wood but the surface has to be clean of any substances used to condition the wood and degreased. Also I am woried about the waves at the edges /most noticeable at the top where the vents are/. This little "fingers" are pure tension in the material which may lift back.

The problem with the end/corner is that there is no material to work with in order to get rid of the tension.

I can understand that he wants to make one peace self install product but for unexperienced person this is very big challenge.

Beside "not so perfect" ends he did not mention something extremely important - surface preparation. If there is wax, polishe or any other substance on that trim peace it will fail for sure. I can't advise on surface preparation because I don't know what is harmless to the wood but the surface has to be clean of any substances used to condition the wood and degreased. Also I am woried about the waves at the edges /most noticeable at the top where the vents are/. This little "fingers" are pure tension in the material which may lift back.

The problem with the end/corner is that there is no material to work with in order to get rid of the tension.

I can understand that he wants to make one peace self install product but for unexperienced person this is very big challenge.

They finished the one piece - seamless cover today. I heard the video will be up tomorrow.

I'm reviving this old post because I just installed the RPM Tesla 1-Piece Dashboard Wood Wrap. I got the brushed black metal to contrast the silver trim surrounding the wood. It was a huge pain to do. While doing the center console was relatively easy, the length of the dash wrap combined with the stretchy properties of the vinyl made it impossible to fit as cut.

First off, the ends of the wrap I received were labeled incorrectly (driver side and passenger side labels were reversed). Thankfully they showed enough detail in the installation video to figure it out. While the vinyl is easy to lift up and replace if you don't align it perfectly, every time you pull on it to take it off, the vinyl stretches a little bit. As they say in the video, some stretch is needed to install the wrap correctly, otherwise it won't reach both ends of the wood. Stretch too much, though, and you'll end up with my problem, which is too much material at the end of the wrap that has to be cut off, making the precut edge tabs useless.

My advice is to forget about getting the edge tabs to line up perfectly. They won't. Just accept it. Maybe if you're the owner of RPM Tesla who's practiced on dozens of these things to make it look easy on camera, but not if you're a regular person who's never done this before.

The edges aren't going to look good and you're better off going into the installation knowing that. It really isn't that noticeable if you're not looking for it as long as all the wood is covered. Chances are you're probably looking at the screen and not staring at the edge of the dash when getting into your car anyway.

The bumpy texture of the wood shows through the vinyl and you can feel it running your hand over it. All of that being said, I'm relatively satisfied with the way it looks. I'm glad I went with the one piece instead of the two-piece set. I forgot to take detailed photos of the edges, but trust me, they look really bad. It's a good thing you can't see them when the doors are closed.

IMG_20180428_150814.jpg IMG_20180428_151024.jpg IMG_20180428_151934.jpg IMG_20180428_151947.jpg

You could order some 3m knife less tape and some 3m 1080 wrap in a roll and do it yourself. About $50-75 total with enough to do the center console too. You would have to use the 3m knife less tape around the wood area as a border. Then apply the wrap over it and work out all the bubbles. After that you use the knife less tape and pull on it and it will cut out the perfect outline and you just finish up with the details. I will probably do this when I get my car and will probably make a video.

I personally didn't like the look of the wood dash and drive down to RPM Tesla and they installed the carbon fiber wrap. The edges line up perfect on top near the venting and the bottom edge. The sides take some finessing and I don't notice any wood texture showing through. Over all i love the look and am glad I went with the wrap! Got the console wrapped too!

Attachments

• IMG_20180420_142843.jpg
    IMG_20180420_142843.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_20180420_142832.jpg
    IMG_20180420_142832.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 381
There are a couple of companies using 3M Di-Noc wrap, it is thicker and looks great. No grain feel through it. I just saw one at a Tesla event and did not get the name of the vendor, but will follow up. I think this is the answer. The real carbon piece is just too pricy for me.

thats the problem with these pre cut kits, you have no material left over to stretch it around the corners or you can make cuts and overlay the edges so they dont look bunched up

Actually, it was the opposite problem. I stretched the vinyl too much while repositioning that the pre-cut flaps couldn't be aligned where they were supposed to be. I could have done a much better job making my own cuts to fold the edges over more neatly, but I didn't want to risk scoring the wood underneath.

Reactions: forkee
Here's what you do: wait for someone like me (who wants the WHITE interior, but also wants the wood strip instead of the white strip that comes with the white interior) to buy one, then swap your wood strip for their white strip, then wrap that white strip with whatever you want.

Here's what you do: wait for someone like me (who wants the WHITE interior, but also wants the wood strip instead of the white strip that comes with the white interior) to buy one, then swap your wood strip for their white strip, then wrap that white strip with whatever you want.

If you guys don't like the original wood color, you can wrap it with virtually any other wood color you want. Carbon fiber isn't the only choice. Take a look at this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...st-20&linkId=0aa3b935a9e51785469e92854d4732f3

I personally didn't like the look of the wood dash and drive down to RPM Tesla and they installed the carbon fiber wrap. The edges line up perfect on top near the venting and the bottom edge. The sides take some finessing and I don't notice any wood texture showing through. Over all i love the look and am glad I went with the wrap! Got the console wrapped too!

Can you take some photos of the side edges? I want to see how good they were able to get it since it's their own product.