Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapping the wood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve just done a test drive in a Model 3. (The $150 through Turo was worth it to me to try one overnight before buying it) and have decided I’m not a huge fan of the wood inlay.

Anyone look at wrapping it yet? I’ve already decided I’ll be ordering the car in black and wrapping with ‘Caribbean flip shimmer’, then tinting the windows. So I’m trying to decide if I should wrap the wood, and what would look best.

I’ve just done a test drive in a Model 3. (The $150 through Turo was worth it to me to try one overnight before buying it) and have decided I’m not a huge fan of the wood inlay.

Anyone look at wrapping it yet? I’ve already decided I’ll be ordering the car in black and wrapping with ‘Caribbean flip shimmer’, then tinting the windows. So I’m trying to decide if I should wrap the wood, and what would look best.
So, how did you like your extended test drive?

There will be 2 or 3 aftermarket suppliers that will offer overlays for the dash, in colors, metals, and other materials. They are just waiting to get their hands on a car they can measure. I have used these suppliers on other cars and they work great. Here is an example of one potential supplier.

Wrapping the wood trim is not ideal because the wood is not smooth. Ultimately, poor substrate makes for poor adhesion.

On the other hand, we are currently taking Model 3 Carbon Fiber Dashboard Panel Pre Orders

tesla-model-3-space-x-blue-custom-leather-interior-2.jpg
tesla-model-3-space-x-blue-custom-leather-interior-carbon-fiber-dashboard-1.jpg
tesla-model-3-space-x-blue-custom-leather-interior-carbon-fiber-dashboard-2.jpg

Last edited:
So, how did you like your extended test drive?

There will be 2 or 3 aftermarket suppliers that will offer overlays for the dash, in colors, metals, and other materials. They are just waiting to get their hands on a car they can measure. I have used these suppliers on other cars and they work great. Here is an example of one potential supplier.
I liked it quite a bit.

I agree with other posters that you can tell t is definitely cheaper then an S, but:

Much more nimble
Smaller (fits in the garage so much better)
Responsive screen (somewhat buggy though)

The one I rode had the 19” wheels which were somewhat rough, I’m going to be going with stock.

The $150 or so after Turo first time user coupon was totally worth it for the piece of mind

The above said, I would totally consider doing the upgrade to an S over the 3, if the redesign comes out soon enough

I liked it quite a bit.

I agree with other posters that you can tell t is definitely cheaper then an S, but:

Much more nimble
Smaller (fits in the garage so much better)
Responsive screen (somewhat buggy though)

The one I rode had the 19” wheels which were somewhat rough, I’m going to be going with stock.

The $150 or so after Turo first time user coupon was totally worth it for the piece of mind

The above said, I would totally consider doing the upgrade to an S over the 3, if the redesign comes out soon enough
I totally agree. I have had my Model 3 for 3 weeks now. I sold my 5 years old S with a plan to use the Model 3 and then sell it if a refresh S comes along. Even a partial refresh S. The S is much quieter on the highway. The S is so quiet and smooth that it was hard to keep the speed under 80 as I never felt I was going fast. The Model 3 I tend to not drive over 65 as it feels like I am speeding due to a bit more road noise , motor noise, and choppy ride.

Compared to pretty much any other car, the Model 3 renders the others worthless. But the S and the X are really superior yet. Even with 18" wheels the 3 ride is choppy. Springs and tires can both soften a bit after break-in so I am hoping for improvement.

As amazing as the Model 3 is, I'd say for another $20K or so, a base 75D is infinitely more car and hugely more useful due to the S's serious cargo space.

Reactions: jschwefel
I totally agree. I have had my Model 3 for 3 weeks now. I sold my 5 years old S with a plan to use the Model 3 and then sell it if a refresh S comes along. Even a partial refresh S. The S is much quieter on the highway. The S is so quiet and smooth that it was hard to keep the speed under 80 as I never felt I was going fast. The Model 3 I tend to not drive over 65 as it feels like I am speeding due to a bit more road noise , motor noise, and choppy ride.

Compared to pretty much any other car, the Model 3 renders the others worthless. But the S and the X are really superior yet. Even with 18" wheels the 3 ride is choppy. Springs and tires can both soften a bit after break-in so I am hoping for improvement.

As amazing as the Model 3 is, I'd say for another $20K or so, a base 75D is infinitely more car and hugely more useful due to the S's serious cargo space.
Thanks for this. If this view is shared by most, I’d say TSLA accomplished what they set out to. I’ve ordered the Model 3, but part of me will find it REALLY hard to part with my Model S. I’m anxious to have the chance to evaluate them both.:)

Wrapping the wood trim is not ideal because the wood is not smooth. Ultimately, poor substrate makes for poor adhesion.

On the other hand, we are currently taking Model 3 Carbon Fiber Dashboard Panel Pre Orders

View attachment 274391 View attachment 274392 View attachment 274393
T Portline

View attachment 274391 View attachment 274392 View attachment 274393

T Sportline, isn’t yours just a thin carbon wrap over the wood dash? So it’s not molded carbon fiber it’s a layer over wood ? So it’s really only a wrap ?? And it’s very permanent! I have to give you mine for 4 days and it’s how much ?

I heard RPM TESLA is making a sold 1 piece carbon fiber molded replacement part. You pop out the wood and pop in the new piece. Only $200

They are making a solid carbon fiber 1 piece spoiler for the Model 3 as well for under $250 !! I will get photos from the owners as soon as possible.

Reactions: Naomi
T Portline

T Sportline, isn’t yours just a thin carbon wrap over the wood dash? So it’s not molded carbon fiber it’s a layer over wood ? So it’s really only a wrap ?? And it’s very permanent! I have to give you mine for 4 days and it’s how much ?

I heard RPM TESLA is making a sold 1 piece carbon fiber molded replacement part. You pop out the wood and pop in the new piece. Only $200

They are making a solid carbon fiber 1 piece spoiler for the Model 3 as well for under $250 !! I will get photos from the owners as soon as possible.

Currently we are re-working the entire dash piece. That involves removing the entire dash from the vehicle, sanding the open pore wood down to the fabric core. YES, under all that Open Pore wood is a fabric core. We then have to apply carbon, vacuum, sand, and matte clear for finish. Very labor intensive and worth every dollar. While a $69 wrap is great, true car aficionados will argue there's nothing like the dimension, refinement and feel of real carbon fiber inside a car. There's a market for faux and a market for real just like any other cosmetic item. We'll stick to real as we pride ourselves on higher end automotive consumer goods, not stickers.

We leave the "stickers" aka 3M & Avery Vinyl to chrome delete and full vehicle wraps. :)

Currently we are re-working the entire dash piece. That involves removing the entire dash from the vehicle, sanding the open pore wood down to the fabric core. YES, under all that Open Pore wood is a fabric core. We then have to apply carbon, vacuum, sand, and matte clear for finish. Very labor intensive and worth every dollar. While a $69 wrap is great, true car aficionados will argue there's nothing like the dimension, refinement and feel of real carbon fiber inside a car. There's a market for faux and a market for real just like any other cosmetic item. We'll stick to real as we pride ourselves on higher end automotive consumer goods, not stickers.

We leave the "stickers" aka 3M & Avery Vinyl to chrome delete and full vehicle wraps. :)

I like the idea of real vs. wrap for the dash. For me the 3M would be fine on the piano black console but not the dash. When I watched the video of the wrap install on the dash the OCD in me couldn’t live with the wrap around the dash end. How much work is it change the dash out? Like to see the install instructions/video. Buying it one thing, installing is another.

RPMTesla.com has a wrap kit for the Model 3 dash for $69.

RPM Tesla

They also have a wrap kit for the console, which I'm seriously considering. The glossy black is always covered in fingerprints...
I watched and cringed as he went along the corners near the door. Then he started the other side and stopped playback. Two pieces? You can even see the line in the image without it being zoomed in.