Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrong generation reporting on new system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Just joined this forum although I have been lurking for some time while researching my system. My installation was finally finished a few days ago. It's a 16.32kw with 2 power walls and I am located in Connecticut. Decided to "test" my system today and charge up the power walls. It was a cloudy day and I have shading but managed to get it charged up fully. The problem is that the listed solar generation looks off. The daily solar output says 8.4kWh but it says I sent 16.1 kWh to the power walls. Also, my home usage is reporting much less (almost 1/2) than my sense monitor is reporting. Could this be a CT issue?

Screenshot_20201025-162137[19028].png
Screenshot_20201025-162205[19026].png

I think people would need a LOT more information than you're giving us. You're asking a question with a lot of X-factors. Could it be your Tesla CT's...maybe. Could it be the your sense monitoring CT's...maybe. You'd probably have to gather several days worth of data for both the sense monitoring and Tesla then do a comparison. You might even try a third part monitoring system for additional comparison or start actually measuring power at different points in the system with test equipment.

Just my .02 cents.

It looks like your solar is reporting half it’s production, which would likely be caused by an incorrect configuration. Assuming that it wasn’t completely overcast then your 16.32kW system should have peaked much higher than 4.8kW. A peak of 9.6kW would be reasonable for this time of year, and if it actually generated 16.8kWh instead 8.4kWh that would line up with 16.1kWh going to your powerwalls.

They can install one or two CT’s on the feed coming from your inverters. If they use only one CT then they need to double it’s output in the software to get the true reading of what your system is generating. My guess is that they installed one CT and then forget to configure the option to double the output. Tesla should be able to fix this remotely if you call them.

It looks like your solar is reporting half it’s production, which would likely be caused by an incorrect configuration. Assuming that it wasn’t completely overcast then your 16.32kW system should have peaked much higher than 4.8kW. A peak of 9.6kW would be reasonable for this time of year, and if it actually generated 16.8kWh instead 8.4kWh that would line up with 16.1kWh going to your powerwalls.

They can install one or two CT’s on the feed coming from your inverters. If they use only one CT then they need to double it’s output in the software to get the true reading of what your system is generating. My guess is that they installed one CT and then forget to configure the option to double the output. Tesla should be able to fix this remotely if you call them.

Thank you for the explanation I figured they missed something in the setup process or installed one of the CT's wrong. I will reach out to support and see if they can fix this remotely.

I think people would need a LOT more information than you're giving us. You're asking a question with a lot of X-factors. Could it be your Tesla CT's...maybe. Could it be the your sense monitoring CT's...maybe. You'd probably have to gather several days worth of data for both the sense monitoring and Tesla then do a comparison. You might even try a third part monitoring system for additional comparison or start actually measuring power at different points in the system with test equipment.

Just my .02 cents.
Thanks for the reply and additional ideas. I know I don't have a lot of data to go on at this point. Still waiting on inspection and PTO so it will be a while before I have some good numbers to go on. I just know something was not right and want to try and get ahead of it.