Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X in the snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being the X hasn't been around in mass for a full snow season yet, does anyone have feedback on experience with the MX in the snow? I pan on spending quite a bit of time in Lake Tahoe this winter and am curious about any real world experience from others. I have a 2015 X5 that i've never had a problem with in the snow, I always had cables in the car but never needed to use them.

I have the factory 20" Continentals on my MX and am wondering if I should invest in the snow chain setup.

Thanks.

I assume it'll perform like the D Model S but with a little more needed clearance which is good. Our MS always had great grip last year but you do have to feather the accelerator well with all that power and remain aware of regen being a bit aggressive on breaking if you let it. The best thing you could do is likely get some seasonal snow tires for the Winter if you're going to be in the snow/mix a lot more.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Being the X hasn't been around in mass for a full snow season yet, does anyone have feedback on experience with the MX in the snow? I pan on spending quite a bit of time in Lake Tahoe this winter and am curious about any real world experience from others. I have a 2015 X5 that i've never had a problem with in the snow, I always had cables in the car but never needed to use them.

I have the factory 20" Continentals on my MX and am wondering if I should invest in the snow chain setup.

Thanks.
I've got those same Cont. M+S tires, and plan to keep some old chains in the Frunk, just for the rare case an inspector wants to see I have them.
My pass is at Bear Valley (Hwy 4), but do Hwy 88 & 108 sometimes also. Have never put chains on AWD in 30yrs, but carry them.

As you say, experience is limited. However, it is pretty much the same as an AWD S with an extra inch of ground clearance.

Tesla traction control is by far the best in the business - it's actually kinda scary just how much grip the car finds for acceleration in what should be slippery conditions, with no perceptible wheel spin.

Folks from Norway said that the RWD S was about as good as typical AWD cars in the snow because of the advanced traction control.

I'm still planning to get snow tires, but I expect the X to be among the best cars out there in snow and ice. Which doesn't make it immune to the laws of physics, or safe from the other idiots on the road, of course.

Reactions: Darren F
So, If I don't visit snow very regularly and do not get on the road when AWD needs chains, what can I buy to satisfy the inspectors and use for a short amount of time without damaging my car. I have MX 20" tires, any cable suggestions?[/QUOTE
In the CA Sierras, I've just been asked to show a box of chains, inspectors don't check size or fit.
But I'm still probably going to get some cable chains for my 20" (front) anyway.

Reactions: Oceanwolf
Thanks for all the responses!

In 20+ years of going to Tahoe i've only been stopped once and asked to show I was carrying chains and have never actually needed to use them. I think I will splurge and get the Tesla chains to be on the safe side. I usually have my young daughter with me and would hate to need them and not have them.

How about the FWD, auto presenting door or the huge windshield? Anyone have issues in snow?? :confused:

Those are the parts we have to see about - last winter there were only a few Xs out there and I think they were pretty much in warm climates.

The only one I'm really worried about is the windshield defrost - especially since Tesla didn't give us visible defrost vents.

(The S originally had just a mesh dash like we have, and was refitted with conventional defroster vents after they experienced poor performance at defrosting/defogging. Hopefully Tesla tested our version more thoroughly.)

Is there a way to disable the front door auto open with the keyfob? It like having the auto open turned on, but when it snows, I don't want a bunch of snow falling in my car if the door auto opens. Or do I need to just disable it in the settings all winter?

Is there a way to disable the front door auto open with the keyfob? It like having the auto open turned on, but when it snows, I don't want a bunch of snow falling in my car if the door auto opens. Or do I need to just disable it in the settings all winter?

If you single click the top as it starts to open, it should override for that time, I think (assuming you have single click close/lock enabled.)

To be sure of it you probably should disable it in the center console settings when you're concerned.

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer